Sign in to follow this  
DUC1098

Can I pay my spouse w/ Paypal instead of balance transfer to save the 5% BT fee? (2.99% paypal fee - 1% cash back reward)

I want to use a balance transfer promotion from Chase but it has a 5% balance transfer fee. Looking to get around that if I can so I thought I'd pay my spouse with paypal using the Chase credit cards which will cost 2.99% but then we'll get 1% of that back with rewards so it'll be 2% total. Would Paypal or Chase have a problem with a payment to an individual with the same address?

Is it just a BT promo or is it a purchase promo too?

PayPal, if it worked, would be considered a purchase.

Is it just a BT promo or is it a purchase promo too?

PayPal, if it worked, would be considered a purchase.

it's both purchase and BT

I'm not sure if you have the time or inclination to purchase gift cards that can be used to purchase money orders, but that may be a better route to avoid adverse action from PayPal and results in a net 0 fee.

It doesn't work with every gift card at every money order seller, but it can be relatively simple.

Edited by mec

On 7/25/2017 at 6:41 PM, mec said:

I'm not sure if you have the time or inclination to purchase gift cards that can be used to purchase money orders, but that may be a better route to avoid adverse action from PayPal and results in a net 0 fee.

It doesn't work with every gift card at every money order seller, but it can be relatively simple.

^

10 hours ago, shifter said:

Paypal definitely frowns upon this sort of thing. They can and will shut you down quickly. 

Even worse.  When they shut you down, they often hold on to your cash for 6 months.

OP mentioned on another thread about getting a merchant account and running his own cards.  That's also a stupid idea.  Any reputable merchant account provider will see the name on the card is the same is the name on the merchant account and not only shut you down, but hold onto your money for a long, long time while putting you on an industry blacklist.  

But, frankly, I hope he does it.  I love a story with a happy ending that gets me ROTFLMFAO.    

2 hours ago, PotO said:

Any reputable merchant account provider will see the name on the card is the same is the name on the merchant account and not only shut you down, but hold onto your money for a long, long time while putting you on an industry blacklist.

Yeah I've also been shut down for this. You can sometimes get away with it for a minute and they usually give you a warning, but long term it's not a viable MS or cash out strategy. 

4 hours ago, hdporter said:

link removed.

Is there any relevance to this link?

Edited by MarvBear

14 minutes ago, shifter said:

Yeah I've also been shut down for this. You can sometimes get away with it for a minute and they usually give you a warning, but long term it's not a viable MS or cash out strategy. 

Some will warn you.  Chase Payment Tech will not.  And they hold your money for a looooong time. 

22 minutes ago, PotO said:

Is there any relevance to this link?

I thought it was just interesting to note what was going on in the world at the time this thread was last active (prior to heg's resurrection) ;)

14 hours ago, hdporter said:

I thought it was just interesting to note what was going on in the world at the time this thread was last active (prior to heg's resurrection) ;)

Now I see!   😂

If you hadn't said anything, I never would have noticed.  GD Hege.  🤣

Edited by PotO

19 hours ago, hdporter said:

link removed.  No politics period.

Uh ... ok.

But, hey, I simply linked to a news summary for the day on which this thread was originally active (as far as I'm concerned, the reported news could have included a birthday for the Octomom kids or Big Bird's obituary).  It just happens that a lot of what was cited in the news that day had a political context (without an editorial slant).  Is there a day the last few years where that isn't true of half the reported events each day?  (At what point is it going to be verboten to simply report here that the Fed cut its benchmark rate?)

I grasp the need for group moderation and am fine with it.  But it's not like I drew from MSNBC or Fox.  Just seems a bit heavy handed.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back for an edit ...   Hey, I'm good, but what do you say you substitute this link instead:

https://oddstuffmagazine.com/funny-pictures-july-25-2017.html

< Check out the ant trap ... >  🙃

Edited by hdporter

1 hour ago, hdporter said:

Uh ... ok.

But, hey, I simply linked to a news summary for the day on which this thread was originally active (as far as I'm concerned, the reported news could have included a birthday for the Octomom kids or Big Bird's obituary).  It just happens that a lot of what was cited in the news that day had a political context (without an editorial slant).  Is there a day the last few years where that isn't true of half the reported events each day?  (At what point is it going to be verboten to simply report here that the Fed cut its benchmark rate?)

I grasp the need for group moderation and am fine with it.  But it's not like I drew from MSNBC or Fox.  Just seems a bit heavy handed.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back for an edit ...   Hey, I'm good, but what do you say you substitute this link instead:

https://oddstuffmagazine.com/funny-pictures-july-25-2017.html

< Check out the ant trap ... >  🙃

True.  Especially since it was years old.  

Oh, the Fed cut the rate?  You mention that here and you will burn in hell.  🤣

9 hours ago, greendude said:

Does Plastiq work for you ? Meaning do you have payments you could send on your card instead of cash ? 

That's not a bad idea.  I've helped my sister-in-law use them to pay her son's tuition with a 1.5% fee.  I read that they had a cap, but they let some very large payments go through.  

I did hear that they actually screen payees.