Watch for the wolf.

The last post in this topic was posted 1362 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I'm in the market right now for a new car, and I absolutely hate the entire process. I don't trust anything they say. It's sad that it has to be this way. And I sure as hell am not letting them pull my credit. They tried some Geronimo where they wanted to pull my credit until the check came from the credit union. I was like I think not. You can keep the car I'll pick it up when the check arrives.

I bought a CPO car recently and had none of these issues.

I only let them run my credit because GM Financial was offering new purchase rates on CPO (2.49%) and the best PenFed could do was 2.99%

Not to mention, I knew I'd qualify for best rate.

similar here, although not with GM. wrote a check for a CPO and dealer did not even pull my credit.

I'm in the market right now for a new car, and I absolutely hate the entire process. I don't trust anything they say. It's sad that it has to be this way. And I sure as hell am not letting them pull my credit. They tried some Geronimo where they wanted to pull my credit until the check came from the credit union. I was like I think not. You can keep the car I'll pick it up when the check arrives.

I had a dealership play these games with me. I had researched what I wanted, found the vehicle I wanted online, got a check from Navy Federal sent to me, and I walked in to buy it - telling the sales rep that I wanted to spend no more than 90 minutes from start to finish. The negotiation went ok until the F&I manager tried to upsell me and I didn't want anything such as VIN etching, poly coating, undercoating, etc. When he saw that I wouldn't budge, he told me that I couldn't take the vehicle home until the "check cleared". I told him that my wife didn't have these issues 5 months earlier when we did the same process. He refused to admit that we had ever purchased a vehicle from them before, using this very technique. I told him to keep the vehicle until it cleared then. He then tried to back track and get a credit pull out of me. I refused.

The vehicle sat for two weeks until the "check cleared" and then another week or so before I got around to picking it up. We've never returned to that dealer again.

I think with the internet making it much more competitive and easier to shop multiple dealers, this type of thing doesn't happen as much as it did years ago, especially with new cars. It's too easy for dealers to get a bad review and after many bad reviews, it's a downhill spiral.

So long as there is an incentive for any action, there will be abuse. The last car I bought the finance guy tried to slip an $800 random charge into the contract. Of course, when I asked "what's this," he removed it quickly. Car negotiations and shopping is a long process, and by the time you make it to the finance office you're tired and just want to go home. Still have to read every word though. Too many take advantage of the fact that you're tired and feel like you've already made the decision.

I'm not very emotional about cars. They are just Point A to Point B facilitators. At the end of my long process, I was ready to go. And of course they had deceptively advertised the cash rebate. They had a price of $23,900 with a rebate of $3000 under the price. And they didn't disclose that the $3k was already calculated into the $23,900 price. So I walked out. And the finance director was so full of malarky- I just laughed at him. And then listening to them push around other people was amusing. Most people don't come in armed with our information.

The last post in this topic was posted 1362 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.