Sign in to follow this  
Emperess

Nothing beats a failure but a try, right?

I decided to try to remove my medical collections - all six of them - from my credit reports using WhyChat's method.

Five of the collections are listed with the same medical provider and CRA, and five are on my Experian report, as follows:

$118 - placed with CRA in 4/2015. Reporting until 8/2021

$74 - placed with CRA in 10/2015. Reporting until 02/2022

$150 - placed with CRA in 10/2015. Reporting until 03/2022

$100 - placed with CRA in 09/2016. Reporting until 01/2023

$189 - placed with CRA in 03/2017. Reporting until 02/2022. This one also was reported to Transunion two weeks ago, and had never been on my TU until then. TU shows the date of last payment as 07/2015

The sixth medical collection is only on my Equifax report. It's for $275 with the DOFD of 12/2013. It was placed with the CRA in 05/2014. It doesn't show the removal date.

My memory is vague, but the dates of service may have been somewhere between 2011-2013, and they may have been for lab services for routine blood work. I accrued these bills when I was laid off/underemployed and had to decide between paying the medical bill or buying food or paying the electric bill.

I was uninsured from about 2009 to 20013, but I was able to get financial assistance for my office visits through the medical provider (for the first five bills). I can't remember for the life of me what the sixth bill was for.

I'm hoping I can get these removed, even if I have to pay them. I have a few other non-medical items that will fall off my reports this year and next year, but I really want to focus on these medical ones since they are slated to stay on my report longer than I'd like.

But first, I'm going to read WhyChat's guidelines...very thoroughly. Wish me luck!

I don't think you will need "luck" just patience and persistence and following the instructions in the guides.

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE%20HIPAA%20PROGRAM.html

Meanwhile gather all your records for those medical visits (copies of bills, receipts etc.)

After you have opted out and deleted old addresses and sent the initial dispute letter to the CRAs

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

and had your results-- come back to this post for additional help.

About gathering my medical bills -- I'm hoping my being a packrat will actually pay off and I'm able to dig those up.

I have a concern about deleting old addresses. My reports currently show two prior addresses, the first where I've lived at for 15 years, and the second where I've lived two years before moving to my current address. The second previous address was actually right next door to the prior address, so I actually lived on the same street for 17 years, but changed house numbers the last two of years of that time.

I'm concerned if I delete these two prior addresses, I'll be deleting a significant part of my residential history that shows some semblance of stability.

Your length of time at each address is not reflected anywhere on your reports. If you have GOOD closed accounts reporting, send them a letter advising them of your current address and ask them to update your records as you might wish to reactivate the account in the future.

Your length of time at each address is not reflected anywhere on your reports. If you have GOOD closed accounts reporting, send them a letter advising them of your current address and ask them to update your records as you might wish to reactivate the account in the future.

Thanks for the tip.

Okay, I've managed to dig up bills for three of these collections, and I uncovered six more bills I'd forgotten about (UGH!!), two of which went to collections but to date are not reporting on my CRs:

$118 - placed with CRA in 4/2015. Reporting until 8/2021 - not found; possibly tossed in the trash at some point

$74 - placed with CRA in 10/2015. Reporting until 02/2022 - found - service date was 4/2015 - was with a previous CA before being placed with the current CA.

$150 - placed with CRA in 10/2015. Reporting until 03/2022 - found - service date also 4/2015

$100 - placed with CRA in 09/2016. Reporting until 01/2023 - found - service date 3/7/16 and 38/16

$189 - placed with CRA in 03/2017. Reporting until 02/2022. - not found; possibly tossed

The six other bills (all the same medical provider as the first five listed collections above):

$40 and $5 - service dates ranging from 5/2015 to 11/2016 - It was "delayed billing", for which they apologized for.

$70 - service dates of ranging from 5/2015 to 3/2016 - another case of "delayed billing"

$24.84 - service date 4/2015 - placed with CA in 9/2015 - not reporting on CRs

$357 - service date 4/2015 - placed with CA 10/2015 - not reporting on CRs

$203.09 - service date 4/2015

These bills are for costs that my insurance did not cover at that time. The service date range is the same period during which I changed health insurance providers. The last bills I received were the $40, $5 and $70 bills in 2016. The others were received in 2015 repeatedly for three months and stopped coming. I've received no bills yet this year.

For some reason the smaller bills are standing out to me as having been paid, but my recollection is very foggy.

What should I do about the latter bills that went to collections but are not reporting (yet?). I've received dunning letters for both.

I'm thinking I should contact the OC about the other bills to see if they are still outstanding and make arrangements to pay (if they haven't been sent to collections and just haven't hit my CRs yet).

Or not?

DO NOT contact anyone on the bills. !! Are these "left-over" bills from after your insurance paid??

You said you did not have insurance for a period of time but you DID have "assistance" Sort out those bills by the dates and try to figure out what insurance coverage you had at the time they were incurred. On the more recent ones-- you said you were insured after 2013-- get your EOMBs ( explanation of medical benefits) from your insurance Co for any dates after 2013. Your insurance MAY have actually paid them which is why the more recent ones have not been sent to collection.

Send in the dispute letters to the CRAs and we can sort things out AFTER your initial results from this FIRST dispute.

DO NOT contact anyone on the bills. !! Are these "left-over" bills from after your insurance paid??

You said you did not have insurance for a period of time but you DID have "assistance" Sort out those bills by the dates and try to figure out what insurance coverage you had at the time they were incurred. On the more recent ones-- you said you were insured after 2013-- get your EOMBs ( explanation of medical benefits) from your insurance Co for any dates after 2013. Your insurance MAY have actually paid them which is why the more recent ones have not been sent to collection.

Send in the dispute letters to the CRAs and we can sort things out AFTER your initial results from this FIRST dispute.

Yes, these are leftover bills from after my insurance paid. I did sort the bills out by the dates, which is why I was able to determine that the first five or six bills were incurred around the time I was eligible for financial assistance through my medical provider, and the second set of bills (which I just found) were incurred around the time I was briefly on Medicaid and eventually under my the health coverage I had through my previous employer.

When I changed jobs, I changed over to my current health coverage. So all of the bills were covered either through my medical provider's financial assistance program, Medicaid for the very short time I received it, or my previous health coverage which may not have covered everything.

If I'm understanding correctly, I'll need to dig up my EOMB's or contact my previous health insurance company to have them send me a copy, correct?

I'm also going to pull my MIB report to see what's on it.

What about the more recent bills that went to collections but were not reported to the CRAs? What should I do about those?

P.S. My apologies if this is confusing. I'm typing this while I'm on break from work ;-).

Edited by Emperess

Yes, these are leftover bills from after my insurance paid. I did sort the bills out by the dates, which is why I was able to determine that the first five or six bills were incurred around the time I was eligible for financial assistance through my medical provider, and the second set of bills (which I just found) were incurred around the time I was briefly on Medicaid and eventually under my the health coverage I had through my previous employer.

When I changed jobs, I changed over to my current health coverage. So all of the bills were covered either through my medical provider's financial assistance program, Medicaid for the very short time I received it, or my previous health coverage which may not have covered everything.

If I'm understanding correctly, I'll need to dig up my EOMB's or contact my previous health insurance company to have them send me a copy, correct? YES

I'm also going to pull my MIB report to see what's on it. Unless you have applied for life insurance you are unlikely to have an MIB report

What about the more recent bills that went to collections but were not reported to the CRAs? What should I do about those? Get your EOMBs. These may be due to delayed payments from your insurance and will not appear on your reports if the insurance paid in the interim

P.S. My apologies if this is confusing. I'm typing this while I'm on break from work ;-).

Brief update:

$118 - placed with CRA in 4/2015. Reporting until 8/2021 - not found; possibly tossed in the trash at some point

$74 - placed with CRA in 10/2015. Reporting until 02/2022 - found - service date was 4/2015 - was with a previous CA before being placed with the current CA. I did find several EOBs from my previous insurance. This one showed up on one.

$150 - placed with CRA in 10/2015. Reporting until 03/2022 - found - service date also 4/2015 - As well as this one.

$100 - placed with CRA in 09/2016. Reporting until 01/2023 - found - service date 3/7/16 and 3/8/16

$189 - placed with CRA in 03/2017. Reporting until 02/2022. - I think I found this one. I have a bill show 11 cents over this amount as "collection charges pending"

The six other bills (all the same medical provider as the first five listed collections above):

$40 and $5 - service dates ranging from 5/2015 to 11/2016 - It was "delayed billing", for which they apologized for.

$70 - service dates of ranging from 5/2015 to 3/2016 - another case of "delayed billing"

$24.84 - service date 4/2015 - placed with CA in 9/2015 - not reporting on CRs - This one was on the EOB as well.

$357 - service date 4/2015 - placed with CA 10/2015 - not reporting on CRs

$203.09 - service date 4/2015 - I think this one is on the EOB as well, but the number is off by 85 cents

All of these amounts appear to be what I owed after my previous and current health insurances paid what was covered. When I get the EOBs from my current provider, I'll see what's going on. In the meantime, I'll focus on starting the disputes for the ones that are reporting and keep an eye out for any "surprises".

Edited by Emperess

It looks to me that you owe little or nothing to anyone.

If you have sent the initial disputes to the CRAs let us know the results and we can go from there.

If you have sent the initial disputes to the CRAs let us know the results and we can go from there.

My initial disputes will likely go out later this week or early next week. I'll definitely keep you posted.

I take it we're to opt out permanently (and not five years?)

Is pulling the Lexis Nexis a must or an option?

Edited by Emperess

The regular 5 year opt out is fine- If you have occassion to go to a CRA website for any reason, make sure you opt out again when you are done.

The Lexis Nexis report is only needed if you are the victim of ID theft/fraud or if you have a VERY common name. You will not usually even have a LN report unless you have applied for life insurance.

The regular 5 year opt out is fine- If you have occassion to go to a CRA website for any reason, make sure you opt out again when you are done.

The Lexis Nexis report is only needed if you are the victim of ID theft/fraud or if you have a VERY common name. You will not usually even have a LN report unless you have applied for life insurance.

Thanks! :)

Edited by Emperess

My initial disputes will likely go out later this week or early next week. I'll definitely keep you posted. Oops :blush: Almost missed a step right from the get-go. My letters to the CRAs to try a delete old addresses will go out early next week. I've already opted out.

You only need to try to delete old addresses IF you have moved since the dates of service of the accounts you are disputing. Remember-- IF you are deleting old addresses and you have GOOD CLOSED accounts on your reports-- notify them of your current address ( tell them that you may wish to use the account again) that way you will not lose GOOD closed older accounts.

You only need to try to delete old addresses IF you have moved since the dates of service of the accounts you are disputing. Remember-- IF you are deleting old addresses and you have GOOD CLOSED accounts on your reports-- notify them of your current address ( tell them that you may wish to use the account again) that way you will not lose GOOD closed older accounts.

Who is them when you say notify them of your current address? The company with who you have good closed accounts with?

Thank you

Who is them when you say notify them of your current address? The company with who you have good closed accounts with?

Thank you

Yes

Oh crap...I think I have the wrong type of USPS tracking label. I went to the post office and was given the stickers that are on a roll. I just noticed the pad (of 50, correct?) on their website.

Are the stickers just as good? I've never used these before, so I'm guessing you place the tracking label on the envelope and the bottom strip of the sticker on the hard copy of the letter (our copy) and put the tracking number in the heading of the letter (mailed out copy)?

Good thing I'm in no hurry.

If they were free then they are the same as in the pads. Yes you place the sticker on the envelope (over the printed pseudo bar code) and keep the bottom strip for your records. I suggest something easier than putting it on a hard copy of the letter. Personally I put them on the inside of the file folder as you already have the # placed into the letter.

If they were free then they are the same as in the pads. Yes you place the sticker on the envelope (over the printed pseudo bar code) and keep the bottom strip for your records. I suggest something easier than putting it on a hard copy of the letter. Personally I put them on the inside of the file folder as you already have the # placed into the letter.

Alrighty! Thanks again, Why Chat.

I have two closed accounts reporting. Do I have to send their letters via Priority mail as well?