Sign in to follow this  
ihatecollections

Va Loan Odds

I am about to be divorced here in the next month or so baring my STBX firing another attorney and dragging this out for another 3 to 6 months. Anyways, I'm active duty and will be relocating to another duty station in the next year and would like to buy a house using the VA loan. I most likely would be looking at new construction around $200-250k with a single income of $6000 per month. My understanding is that I need to meet the residual income after all the bills are paid in order to qualify for a VA loan, looking at the chart is under $800. Currently my FICO scores are sitting at 650 Ex, 690 EQ and 661 TU. The only negatives I have on my reports are three 30 day lates on a credit card in 2013/2014, and a closed credit card with a $14k balance that I will have BT offed in about 6 months, along with 15 inquiries. The closed CC is what is really bringing my scores down as it is factored in to my utilization. What I didn't get is when I applied for a debt consolidation loan with NFCU they said it wasn't counting and I was less than 40% util. The two car payments I have will be reduced down to one as she has to either get a loan for the car or forfeit it to me. I have my credit profile listed below for any advice on if this would be possible or if im way out in left field.

Revolving:

Crap1: $800 Limit / $0 Bal Opened 3-2011 ( always refuse to increase CL regardless of how much i spend a month and pay off)

USAA Signature: $8000 Limit / $1000 Bal Opened 6-2016

Amazon Store Card: $1700 Limit / $0 Bal Opened 3-2012

Wal-Mart Store Card: $2100 Limit / $0 Balance Opened 3-2012

Military Star Card: $3800 Limit / $0 Balance Opened 6-2012 was late 30 days in 2014, won't goodwill

Navy Federal Signature: $10K Limit / $0 Bal Opened 6-2017

Discover it Card: $2k Limit $0 Bal Opened 6-2017

Potentially Bad Revolving:

Navy Federal Nrewards $21k Limit / $14k Bal Opened 1-2012 Closed due to relationship issues 11-2014 Never Late

Installment Autoloans:

Ally: $33k / $25k Balance Opened 6-2016

NFCU: $25K / $20K Balance Opened 7-2016 (soon to be ex-wifes car in my name, should get possession when decree is finalized then trade both cars in for one)

Edited by ihatecollections

You need to look at things using the debt to income calculation - to figure your debt to income DTI you take the total of all minimum payments compared to the 6k gross monthly income

That is your front end DTI -

Then add the projected mortgage payment and recalculate that is your back end dti - This is the main number - ideally VA wants it to be 41% or less - however it is possible to get approved for a higher percentage if you get an automated approval - we often see them in the high 40's

You didnt list the monthly payments so no one to calculate the numbers

If payments with mortgage come out to 2400 a month - that would be 40% of your 6k a month - You are probably ok to 45% (2700 a month) but you wont know until you apply and the info is ran through an underwriting engine -

Good Luck hope this helps

Sorry to hear of the split that is never easy - Thanks for your service

Happy 4th of July

BrianBTheLoanProfessor

MortgageForumLead