Sign in to follow this  
ihatecollections

Discover IT Card suggested monthly usage

I recently obtained a Discover IT card with a measly 4k balance.. I basically want to use this card the bare minimum so that I can hit the luv button every 90 days to get an increase. I used it as a balance transfer on my closed Navy card and will PIF the balance this month to avoid interest. But going forward how much should I put on it and PIf each month in order to grow it with out getting the insufficient time a current credit limit message? I have seen some CBers state they made it to over $25k and averaged $40 a month usage on it.

Time may prove me wrong - and others may disagree, but I think you're ...well, over-thinking it. I realize that you're trying to improve your scores, and want to get your limits higher, but I think you're better off thinking:

"What's the best card I can get for my spending pattern?"

I have no idea what info is on your reports - but if it's me, I'll look at what 5% categories are for Discover and use that card whenever I am going to buy something in those categories. If you can beat 5% with another card - of course, you should use that other card.

For example: I am not likely to spend over $200 a month on food at a grocery store - primarily because I buy a lot of Costco food. So, the Costco 2% for stuff in Costco, and 3% from my Amex Blue Cash are the best I'm going to do for those categories. If I had a large family or was inclined to spend over...$274, or $284 (one of those 2, I forget which - I think someone did that math somewhere in these forums) on groceries, I'd change my Blue Cash to Blue Cash preferred for 6% on groceries. Darn you Costco for not taking Amex anymore!!

But I digress.

As far as using the card as little as possible and still get the CLI - I don't think anyone can answer that. And- a lot of folks with clean reports and good scores have been rejected regularly, (although, I don't know their usage patterns).

Still, it's a good question. It would be nice to know that if you spend X% of your present credit limit, you're likely to get a CLI. Unfortunately, I don't think their decision tree is that simple.

I'm my experience (past 2 years), the only time I was able to get an increase after the "too much experience with current credit limit" message, was to use the full credit line.

I'd PIF it before the statement, so it didn't affect my Credit.

Other than that, I've only gotten the occasional measly $500.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Mine has grown from $26,000 to $52,000 since January 2016. I rarely spend more or less than $2 a month.

When I try to use my card for actual spending they short me on rewards and/or lock the account for suspected fraud, and that's IF it's accepted at all by the merchant.*

* For the elevator ride up the Eiffel Tower, for example, you can pay by check but not with a Discovery card.

Mine has grown from $26,000 to $52,000 since January 2016. I rarely spend more or less than $2 a month.

When I try to use my card for actual spending they short me on rewards and/or lock the account for suspected fraud, and that's IF it's accepted at all by the merchant.*

* For the elevator ride up the Eiffel Tower, for example, you can pay by check but not with a Discovery card.

Watch making truthful posts. Some people might get upset ;)

I've had mine since 2008. Started at $1500 (I think), used it in every way possible & am only at $9700. Used to be a revolver (carried higher balances), but have been a transactor ($0 balances) for a couple of years now).

I did miss out on the window where they were handing out CLIs via the button because I was immersed in taking care of my father before he died & my son to keep him from doing the same. Wasn't on CB very often for a couple of years (2013-2015) when they seem to have opened up the increases.

I charge something small ($10-$40 every 2-3 mo. now) to keep it active at this point. I don't believe there is a definitive way to reach a high limit with them. YMMV

Biggest CLI's came for me with no usage (and not just for Discovery). Fix what's in your reports versus relying on usage.

Edited by takeshi

Thank you!

It's nice to see some actual Data Points that contradict my theory, as opposed to opinions.

Given your posts and the ones following it, it would seem that my experience cannot be extrapolated as a general rule, rather it is just one person's DP.

So I guess we are back to square one.

I don't believe there is a definitive way to reach a high limit with them. YMMV

Agreed. Oh well.

Biggest CLI's came for me with no usage (and not just for Discovery). Fix what's in your reports versus relying on usage.

Other issues have all given me very large CLI's, with barely any spending. That is what led to to think this.

And no, there are no derogatory marks in my report at all, the score is over 770, and the discover is far from my highest limit card.

Most people are looking for simple answers (if I do X then Y will happen).

In reality, there are so many factors that go into credit decisions that in most cases it's hard to make broad generalizations.

I've got a couple of threads over on MF for this but, in general Disco doesn't look at spend but look more at activity each month.

The most recent flurry of CLI denials though are backend systems related and not true denials.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/My-first-year-with-Discover-Data-Points/m-p/4705523

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-unOfficial-Data-Points/m-p/4802538

I've been working on them for a couple of years now trying to suss out some of the lack of info on them and was able to grow a new account from $4500 to $48K in about a year and a half.

Did I mention that Discovery also isn't accepted for admission to the Palace of Versailles?

Did I mention that Discovery also isn't accepted for admission to the Palace of Versailles?

good to know! thanks. :wave:

Aren't you supposed to get double cash back the first year?

ukaserex has it right. You already made the mistake of applying for the card and had the misfortune to be approved for it. Use it if you get more benefit than your other options give you and watch them like a hawk to see that you are credited correctly. It's a handy card long term if you can get the limit up because they do provide better than average balance transfer offers periodically. Acceptance and Rewards accounting don't matter on a BT card.

....Who cares???. I have used in Aruba everywhere without any problems!. the next time you go to Paris. Just use one of your vi or Mc. I bet you have plenty of them.

Edited by geo10

I've got a couple of threads over on MF for this but, in general Disco doesn't look at spend but look more at activity each month.

The most recent flurry of CLI denials though are backend systems related and not true denials.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/My-first-year-with-Discover-Data-Points/m-p/4705523

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-unOfficial-Data-Points/m-p/4802538

I've been working on them for a couple of years now trying to suss out some of the lack of info on them and was able to grow a new account from $4500 to $48K in about a year and a half.

great info. Thank you. Question. After you are approved online for a CLI then you accept what they give you. Then call and don't mention online approval. Is this correct? It seems they would see u already received CLI that day already???

....Who cares???. I have used in Aruba everywhere without any problems!. the next time you go to Paris. Just use one of your vi or Mc. I bet you have plenty of them.

Rarely accepted outside the US. You certainly can't count on using it.

$2 Amazon GC for free.

How is that?. How does it work?

Buy a $2 Amazon GC and they credit the balance to $0.

Aruba = ball stickage. I will pass.

great info. Thank you. Question. After you are approved online for a CLI then you accept what they give you. Then call and don't mention online approval. Is this correct? It seems they would see u already received CLI that day already???

You can just call them and get more $ out of them. They may/not see the recent increase but, usually if it's an instant online approval or an auto approval you can call them and ask if there's a CLI available and it's a crap shoot but, plenty have gotten additional $ off the table with a quick phone call.

I've never been able to use the DD myself because I was always under 2-day's when I made my requests but, spotted the trend happening in the past and added the info to the thread.

Who cares???. I have used in Aruba everywhere without any problems!.

That's awesome. How long did it take to use it everywhere?

I looked my year end summary up for you, on my card i charged about $100 a month average during 2015 and 2016. And my limit went from 1,500 to 28,000 in that time. Fico scores above 760 though, seems scores are much more important than usage for these CLI.

subprime issuers like discover like people who carry balances and shop at the dollar store.

I PIF each month before the statement cuts and Discover gave me CLI increases without asking

anywhere from 200 to 1000 per month spending, depending on the 5% cash back category or year end matching deal.

they do rotate thru wholesale clubs