Sign in to follow this  
GonnaGitIt

Amex Blue Quandry

This past May I apped and was approved for the Blue and Everyday. I'm spending double my limit, paying down in the interim of course. In retrospect I should have apped the Blue Preferred. Waiting time for upgrade is 13 statements. Should I app the Blue Preferred? Plan is to request 3X CLI on day 61. Unfortunately the Blue limit is less than the EVD but I think I benefit more from the cash back than I do the points at this stage. Suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

What is your annual spending on gas?

What is your annual spending on groceries?

What is your annual spending on gas?

What is your annual spending on groceries?

We are over 300 per month on groceries with 2 teenage boys. Maybe 300 - 400 per month on gas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

At $264 per month groceries (excluding Walmart, Target and warehouse clubs) the additional 3% pays for the $95 annual fee.

Additionally you are missing out on the additional 1% on gas to the tune of $36 - $48 per year (at $300 - $400 per month)

But there are better long term gas solutions out there so I'm not sure you should factor that into your decision as much as the groceries.

The first six months with Amex (in my experience) they are not usually inclined to open additional accounts. Your chances will improve a lot after 9 months or more.

Your 61 day CLI should make it easier to use the card(s) without having to cycle the limit.

Research your options with Amex and other issuers in the interim and you should be able to figure out what works best for you by next February/March.

Keep in mind Walmart Neighborhood Market codes as grocery. I buy Walmart gift cards there for the 6% cashback and spend them at regular Walmarts and online @ Walmart.com.