Chase Just Cancelled All My Accounts - WTF

Did OP burn Chase Manhattan in the past?

Yes and I probably should have mentioned it earlier, but since it was way past blacklist time, I didn't think about it. I burned them over 10 years ago. Only credit card I defaulted on.

This might be the case. I just got my 'letter' about their recent decline of CLI and among the reasons it states 'former delinquency' with credit provider. That's their first reason.

Further down where they quote Experian, they go on to state that...

...Experian won't be able to provide specific reason...

Every other prequalifer website suggests at least one credit card for me, but chase doesn't.

https://www.chase.com/prequalified?CELL=65PFdidn't give me any search result.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks hdporter and StarkRaven$ for your responses.   No I did not try the prequalify, thanks for the suggestion!

Wait four months and hit the CLI button. Unless there are issues you have overlooked, it would be exceedingly rare to find you unable to get that limit up to $25k in a year. Higher if you give them

For a bank to close a CC account something serious must have happened perhaps unknown to the customer

In a rational world that would be the case, but for anyone who bothers to fully read this thread and the other people reporting the same thing happening, I think it's obvious that with Chase that's not the case. Like Konrad says, something got triggered, and my best guess is it was getting the 3rd Chase card.

So, OP, did you also have bank accounts with Chase or only CC's...

Only credit cards. As far as CaptainABCD post, again there was nothing remotely unusual about my usage, just the opposite, it was the most risk free spending a company could hope for, around 10% balance, PIF on time every month. I continue to believe it was the Chase Freedom card that triggered it, because they closed my account before it even arrived! Which merely goes to show the insane idiocy of the company - they make an offer when someone logs in, and when someone accepts the offer who otherwise wouldn't have even applied for it, they close their account because it sets off an alert.

I'd say give it some thought... it's very unusual to happen... I agree with Captain's theory of KyC flagging though.

But is there a chance you angered someone in Chase... that it had some repercussions? Or something else... this doesn't smell like policy for your case.

Angered someone at Chase? I think you're grasping a little at conspiracies here. The extent of my interactions with a human being at Chase is the one time the guy called me and told me I was approved, and when I called yesterday when my cards stopped working.

It seems obvious from other posts in this thread that it's actually not that unusual. Just in this thread alone we have two other people reporting the same thing happened, plus a link to an article about it happening with others.

For a bank to close a CC account something serious must have happened perhaps unknown to the customer

In a rational world that would be the case, but for anyone who bothers to fully read this thread and the other people reporting the same thing happening, I think it's obvious that with Chase that's not the case. Like Konrad says, something got triggered, and my best guess is it was getting the 3rd Chase card.

Every issuer closes accounts, not only Chase. There's always a reason and it often isn't the same reason for each case. Just because it happened to a few others in this thread doesn't mean you guys are in the same boat. One other clearly got nuked because of M$.

It's starting to look like in your case a minor review for routine reasons or even randomness turned ugly when they realized you had caused them a loss in the past. While some lenders may actually forget, Chase *never* forgets. I have seen numerous times where they remember crap from decades ago. Some they end up forgiving, some not so much. Looks like in your case it's a belated not so much.

Every issuer closes accounts, not only Chase. There's always a reason and it often isn't the same reason for each case.

Just because it happened to a few others in this thread doesn't mean you guys are in the same boat. One other clearly got nuked because of Manufactured Spend.

It's starting to look like in your case a minor review for routine reasons or even randomness turned ugly when they realized you had caused them a loss in the past. While some lenders may actually forget, Chase *never* forgets. I have seen numerous times where they remember crap from decades ago. Some they end up forgiving, some not so much. Looks like in your case it's a belated not so much.

I agree with your asessment and especially the part in bold, and I've never doubted there was a reason, just not a rational one based on intelligent risk assessment. Just to summarize

1. Chase gives me a 29K CL on a personal card 9 months ago. I didn't ask for that CL, they gave it to me.

2. Chase gives me a 50K corporate card a month ago. I didn't ask for that CL, they gave it to me.

3. Chase offers me another personal card, and gives me a 25K limit on that one. And accepting this apparently triggers a review.

As far as risk

1. Low utilization, PIF every month. Perfect payment history for 4+ years. High Fico.

2. No requests for CLIs.

3. Income could be verified if they asked for it.

As far as never forgetting

The default from 10+ years ago existed when they gave me the cards. One would assume their approvals take that into consideration ahead of time. If that didn't stop them from issuing, it certainly shouldn't have stopped during the review, when seeing the excellent recent history from the last 4+ years.

The worst part is the behavior, not that you or anyone else defended it.

- They could have cancelled one card. They could have lowered limits. They could have asked for income verification. Or if they were going to cancel they could have notified me by text or email that there was an alert on the account and I needed to login immediately to see it. Instead they gave me the ultimate Freedom Unlimited amd shut off the account with no notification and I discover it as an important order gets declined.

Also, I wouldn't have any issue if there had been any real warning signs here. Like suddenly I'm increasing balances, making a minimum payment, or signing up for 10 different cards. But I only had 4 personal cards and 2 business cards.

Anyhow, like someone said, banks value a customer in the same way that ranchers value a head. as Donald Trump would say, "SAD!". :rofl:

Just becase it happened to a few others in this thread doesn't mean you guys are in the same boat. One other clearly got nuked because of Manufactured Spend.

BTW, many thanks to everyone for commisurating, it's much appreciated!

Have you pulled your backdoor report yet and combed over it line by line just to make sure nothing else is out of sorts here?

I subscribe to MyFico and also get accces to scores and alerts from WF, Chase and Amex so I hadn't bothered. But your posted prompted me to pull a back door from Experian which is who Chased claimed to have based their decision on when I called in.

1. It's spotless. 0 negatives, 0 late payments.

2. It shows the pull from Chase on 6/13/2017, with both TU and EX, which is the day I applied for the Chase Freedom. It then shows another pull they did on 6/21/2017 with only EX, which must have been done as they were reviewing the account prior to close. Since it's spotless, and shows the same thing as the 6/13/2017 report would have shown, I suspect that one is just the excuse for cancellation.

I reported this earlier, the only explanation the guy on the phone could give when I called was that the experian report showed that my 4-year history was "too short".

Any known change in utilization in that few day time span? Did all personal cards have balances or something? I don't trust the guy on the phone unless the new account dropped your AAOA significantly (even then this is complete BS).

Any known change in utilization in that few day time span? Did all personal cards have balances or something? I don't trust the guy on the phone unless the new account dropped your AAOA significantly (even then this is complete BS).

DROPR.

They are just giving him a BS excuse that isn't quantifiable. Like too much credit, too many new accounts, and the always famous too many inquiries.

2 cards has 0 balances, 2 cards had about a 4K balance with CLs of 29K and 30K. Nothing of consequence.

DROPR.

They are just giving him a BS excuse that isn't quantifiable. Like too much credit, too many new accounts, and the always famous too many inquiries.

Precisely.

They nuked PB because of past indiscretions and nothing more, but they will never come out and admit that the way they did it was wrong.

I could understand if they stopped him cold in his tracks with his first Chase application. They could have told him then and there that they were still sore about the loss and either have sent him to pound sand or else given him a toy limit. But, for one reason or another, they did not. Not only that, but they gave him a non-handicapped second card. There's no reason to think they were still sore. And then they offered him a third.

With the third came a likely innocent review where they then discovered that they had been all along overlooking past indiscretions. Some Chase twit decided that it was the end of the world and here we are.

I would still write the Chase EO.

FWIW I burnt chase in my BK and now have over 100k in limits.

Probably you accomplished that over a longer time frame that Mr. Poor. When you go in deep, slowly and gently. ;)

DADT

:rofl:

DROPR.

Precisely.

They nuked PB because of past indiscretions and nothing more, but they will never come out and admit that the way they did it was wrong.

I could understand if they stopped him cold in his tracks with his first Chase application. They could have told him then and there that they were still sore about the loss and either have sent him to pound sand or else given him a toy limit. But, for one reason or another, they did not. Not only that, but they gave him a non-handicapped second card. There's no reason to think they were still sore. And then they offered him a third.

With the third came a likely innocent review where they then discovered that they had been all along overlooking past indiscretions. Some Chase twit decided that it was the end of the world and here we are.

That has to be it, it's just odd that the computer didn't figure that out before now.

(agreed, that was just a bs excuse)

DROPR.

Precisely.

That has to be it, it's just odd that the computer didn't figure that out before now.

One likely scenario was that his latest app was approved, but put him over an internal limit. They passed it to a senior analyst for approval, he saw the previous default and had a cow. Getting him to rethink things and cut PB some slack would be very difficult. In his feeble mind he's saving the world and justifying his value to his employer, Chase.

I think going further up the food chain might possibly work. Even coming away with a $1,000 Freedom Unlimited would be, IMO, worth it. After the dust settles, there's room to grow and also, IMO, Chase isn't a half-bad issuer.

DROPR.

Precisely.

This and this and all of it. Somehow the third card made OP cross the red line where everyone's accounts get reviewed for max exposure. OP was approaching $100,000 accumulated only within a few months

DROPR.

Precisely.

One likely scenario was that his latest app was approved, but put him over an internal limit. They passed it to a senior analyst for approval, he saw the previous default and had a cow. Getting him to rethink things and cut PB some slack would be very difficult. In his feeble mind he's saving the world and justifying his value to his employer, Chase.

I think going further up the food chain might possibly work. Even coming away with a $1,000 Freedom Unlimited would be, IMO, worth it. After the dust settles, there's room to grow and also, IMO, Chase isn't a half-bad issuer.

I think in this case it's over. Almost all lenders dislike applying for too many credit cards and growing CL too fast.

DROPR.

Precisely.

I think in this case it's over. Almost all lenders dislike applying for too many credit cards and growing CL too fast.

Phone call is free. I've seen the Chase EO respond favorably to complaints.

What's the worst they can do? Take away his birthday?

Ya, I'm kicking myself for having accepted the offer on the 3rd card. I had 0 intention of getting a 3rd Chase card. In fact I was thinking about getting one more personal card from another issuer and stopping for a while.

I think what I may do now is as soon as I have paid the Chase off and have nothing but a small balance on my Amex card, apply for another personal card from one company, and perhaps a business card from another. I'm not sure though, as this experience has made me a little paranoid.

The lenders are the one that granted them without me asking so they must not dislike it too much. The only CLI I've even requested was on my personal Amex, from 10K to 30K. Amex gave me an increase from 15K to 55K on my business based on 6 months or so of high charges with PIF each month. Chase gave me opening limits of 29K and 50K, I assume because they saw low utilization and perfect payment history.

Edited by Poor Bastard

DROPR.

Precisely.

I don't know all the acronyms around here but I assume EO stands for "executive office"? Where do I find the address/phone number? I know I said earlier where they can put it, but it might be wise for me to eat my pride here and see if I can keep these lines open.

DROPR.

Precisely.

I don't know all the acronyms around here but I assume EO stands for "executive office"? Where do I find the address/phone number? I know I said earlier where they can put it, but it might be wise for me to eat my pride here and see if I can keep these lines open.

There's a sticky thread, I believe, with the number.

But in really serious cases, I don't call unless I have some type of leverage to begin with. I actually write a clear, detailed letter and fax it to the CEO. In writing I can paint a detailed picture and tell them what I want. With phone as first contact, the picture may not be as detailed and then you are asking them what they can do for you.

DROPR.

Precisely.

There's a sticky thread, I believe, with the number.

But in really serious cases, I don't call unless I have some type of leverage to begin with. I actually write a clear, detailed letter and fax it to the CEO. In writing I can paint a detailed picture and tell them what I want. With phone as first contact, the picture may not be as detailed and then you are asking them what they can do for you.

I agree with PotO

Writing a letter to the CEO would be recommended to everyone who has gotten AA

DROPR.

Precisely.

The Chase EO has been about the best in my experiences in terms of listening to my issues and actually working to see if something can be done. You have nothing to lose. The number I have is 1-888-622-7547. I would go that route before trying a letter to the CEO, which will likely be routed back to the EO anyway.

Edited by CTSoxFan