Another 5% CB card

The last post in this topic was posted 1311 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note that the 1500 cap is $45 cash back per quarter. (assuming $0.01 per point).

In reality, if you have a 2% cash back card already, you're only gaining 3% per quarter with this card, or $30, or $120/yr.

So, if you have decent credit and can get cards with a $200 to $400 cash back signup bonus, then this card will take between 1.5 and 3 years to be worthwhile.

And, other 5% cards have had additional restrictions, or curtailed bonus categories within a year or two of launch. So it's possible that the "restaurants" or "utilities" categories may be eliminated in a year or two, as happened to the US Bank Cash Plus card. Not saying that this CU will curtail bonuses, but its a fairly common practice in the industry.

FWIW,
MP

Edited by moneypyts

Note that the 1500 cap is $45 cash back per quarter. (assuming $0.01 per point).

In reality, if you have a 2% cash back card already, you're only gaining 3% per quarter with this card, or $30, or $120/yr.

So, if you have decent credit and can get cards with a $200 to $400 cash back signup bonus, then this card will take between 1.5 and 3 years to be worthwhile.

And, other 5% cards have had additional restrictions, or curtailed bonus categories within a year or two of launch. So it's possible that the "restaurants" or "utilities" categories may be eliminated in a year or two, as happened to the US Bank Cash Plus card. Not saying that this CU will curtail bonuses, but its a fairly common practice in the industry.

FWIW,

MP

That's a pretty short sighted way to evaluate a higher earning potential of a card.

At the end of the day 4% cashback is only 1% more than 3% is not the way to evaluate that...it's 33% more than what you would earn otherwise...

But otherwise, spot on about categories that can and often do change.

I don't see it that way. You can earn the SUB on another card and use this card in category to get more back in that category.

If a card has no annual fee, or even if it does, you can just compare the rewards - the costs on the spend category and the dollar amount... and come up with a bottom line best option for that spend.

If I was only interested in straight cash back (and the redemption is 0.01 per point) I would prefer this card to Freedom Of Discover.

Edited by mec

I can't find the actual value.

https://vantagewest.org/login/rewards/

I don't see it either, and I'm always skeptical until I see it. They probably are 1 cent each, but you never know.

Exactly...Penfed points are a perfect example. Each point is only worth $0.0085 (it takes 11,760 points to get a $100 GC)

I would take 8.5 cents per dollar redemption value any day :grin:

Edited by CTSoxFan

I'm a bit concerned about the bad Yelp reviews on Vantage West. Like claiming they charge fees for everything, and have horrible customer service, etc.

The complaint where someone overpaid a loan payment, and instead of just being credited for that amount, or getting mailed a check for the overage, the bank opened a separate savings account without telling the person, put the overage into that, and then started draining the new account via monthly inactivity fees...

Now, yelp seems to be just people with sour grapes that want to complain about companies, sure. But this makes one want to step back and reconsider a possible banking relationship.

I don't see it either, and I'm always skeptical until I see it. They probably are 1 cent each, but you never know.

Exactly...Penfed points are a perfect example. Each point is only worth $0.0085 (it takes 11,760 points to get a $100 GC)

So would I, but not what I said :P

Mod power FTW

So would I, but not what I said :P

Mod power FTW

:lol: That's just not fair.

yelp reviews? I would not even use yelp to help find a public outhouse.

What about Credit Karma reviews?

https://www.creditkarma.com/reviews/credit-union/single/id/vantage-west-cu1

Lol!

"Worst thing I ever did... "

"Take your money to another credit union "

"Meh - not impressed."

"horrible place to have money"

Though none were referring to the credit card product. They do seem to have had more than their share of issues.

I honestly don't care about reviews if it is a bank I am just getting a CC from. As long as they don't pop a fraud alert every 2 seconds and have an online interface for payments that was created this century, I don't really utilize more than that.

I just thought this would be nice to add for the Chase Freedom/US Bank Cash+ Discover folks. Don't know about customer service but I don't trust reviews

I think there would takers if we could confirm that 1 point = 1 cent.

yelp reviews? I would not even use yelp to help find a public outhouse.

What about Credit Karma reviews?https://www.creditkarma.com/reviews/credit-union/single/id/vantage-west-cu1

Lol!

"Worst thing I ever did... "

"Take your money to another credit union "

"Meh - not impressed."

"horrible place to have money"

Though none were referring to the credit card product. They do seem to have had more than their share of issues.

Smoke a bowl and spend the night reading Credit Karma credit union reviews. You'll thank me over and over.

I just thought this would be nice to add for the Chase Freedom/US Bank Cash+ Discover folks. Don't know about customer service but I don't trust reviews

that is what I was told

that is what I was told

I missed this post:

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=595414&p=5649182

From the comments afterward, I wasn't the only one. :)

The last post in this topic was posted 1311 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.