What did you get in the email today?

credit_help

59 minutes ago, centex said:

Any site suggesting someone apply for Fingerhut should immediately be disregarded as it tells you that there are no standards for what they will pimp out...pre-approved from them means even the dead people voting in Chicago for the past 30 years could have placed an order and been approved. 

It keeps pushing it at me and it's insulting and there's no way to block it. 

Also my score dropped 9 points per CK because I paid off my last car loan. Now it's also recommending Indigo and Milestone.

1 hour ago, smartlypretty said:

It keeps pushing it at me and it's insulting and there's no way to block it. 

Also my score dropped 9 points per CK because I paid off my last car loan. Now it's also recommending Indigo and Milestone.

Hopefully you (and anyone else who comes along) will NOW recognize WHY we tell people that sites providing sKores are for entertainment only and should NEVER be taken seriously except and MAYBE to illustrate that SOMETHING changed.  THAT change should then prompt people to go look at real sites that actually have useful information...and scores.

Sort of an entry, sort of a question.

All my cards have zero balances, except the one with the balance which has the lowest interest at 11%. It's from an emergency, and the card is like 80% utilization.

All my other cards should report zero this month.

The last card I paid off was PenFed, like a week and a half ago, I think I asked about that here. Anyway, I got this in my email.

This rate is lower, and it would bring my other card close to 50% if I did this. Should I do that? Then PenFed will report high utilization. 

I've only been back at this for a short distance (Mase's "Welcome Back" is on Spotify now) so IDK if I should do this. Can someone advise me please? Thanks ❤️ 

3Hlwb8S.jpg

On 4/24/2020 at 10:25 AM, smartlypretty said:

Sort of an entry, sort of a question.

All my cards have zero balances, except the one with the balance which has the lowest interest at 11%. It's from an emergency, and the card is like 80% utilization.

All my other cards should report zero this month.

The last card I paid off was PenFed, like a week and a half ago, I think I asked about that here. Anyway, I got this in my email.

This rate is lower, and it would bring my other card close to 50% if I did this. Should I do that? Then PenFed will report high utilization. 

I've only been back at this for a short distance (Mase's "Welcome Back" is on Spotify now) so IDK if I should do this. Can someone advise me please? Thanks ❤️ 

3Hlwb8S.jpg

Absolutely, you should do this! Then put the 6% you're saving toward paying down the 11% card faster. Do what's financially best for you and FICO will follow in the medium to long term.

Your finances are more important than short term FICO fluctuations anyway, but if you want to maximize your scores here are some utilization thresholds you could target:

68.9%
48.9%
28.9%
8.9%
0.9%? and/or 0.49%?

0% +$1 (IOW, the "$2 trick")

Exceeding any of them, especially the top 3, on any indidual card and/or collectively, will reduce your FICO.

Zero cards with balances will also reduce your scores so always let at least one report a minimal balance (anything between $1 and 8.9% is almost always better than $0 across the board).

15 hours ago, Occam said:

Absolutely, you should do this! Then put the 6% you're saving toward paying down the 11% card faster. Do what's financially best for you and FICO will follow in the medium to long term.

Your finances are more important than short term FICO fluctuations anyway, but if you want to maximize your scores here are some utilization thresholds you could target:

68.9%
48.9%
28.9%
8.9%
0.9%? and/or 0.49%?

Exceeding any of them, especially the top 3, on any indidual card and/or collectively, will reduce your FICO.

Zero cards with balances will also reduce your scores so always let at least one report a minimal balance (anything between $1 and 8.9% is almost always better than $0 across the board).

Thank you! This is the sort of assessment I was looking for. There's the option to call, I was thinking about using 49% of the PenFed balance (but the 48.9 is the number I need!) to strategically move them around. 

Thank you thank you thank you!

Not credit related, but the following non-spam email was unusual enough to bear mention:

Hello

To activate your The East Dulwich Forum - Talk about property,
restaurants, pubs, shops, services, transport, planning, it's up to
you... account, please click on the link below:

I don't know what prompted an invitation to a forum about an area of southeast London.

However, given that one of the sub-forums is titled "ED Issues/Gossip", maybe the whole thing is subterfuge for an entirely different discussion group ...

On 4/25/2020 at 10:49 PM, Occam said:

68.9%
48.9%
28.9%
8.9%
0.9%? and/or 0.49%?

Ok I actually just intended to look this up again and I was in my spreadsheet so I added them. I have to do a balance transfer from the card reporting 87% utilization, to a card reporting 0% utilization. 

Would using 68.9% of the BT card be the best way to do this? That would bring the other card to ... $3,349.99/$5000 and drop my other balance to 63% utilization. 

Thank you, I want to remember to do this BT tomorrow hopefully before this cycle ends and I get nervous about taking another card out from reporting nothing to reporting 68.9%. Thanks again. 

2 hours ago, smartlypretty said:

Ok I actually just intended to look this up again and I was in my spreadsheet so I added them. I have to do a balance transfer from the card reporting 87% utilization, to a card reporting 0% utilization. 

Would using 68.9% of the BT card be the best way to do this? That would bring the other card to ... $3,349.99/$5000 and drop my other balance to 63% utilization. 

Thank you, I want to remember to do this BT tomorrow hopefully before this cycle ends and I get nervous about taking another card out from reporting nothing to reporting 68.9%. Thanks again. 

I do not know for sure if this combination will raise your FICO. If you had a lot of open cards (say 10 or more) it would definitely help. Getting the first card from 87% to <69% will help a lot. But with just a few open cards, adding another balance may cancel that out; there are too many other variables (# of accounts with balances, % of accounts with balances etc.) to be sure. You will have to run the experiment find out. But that's how I would do it. Aside from FICO, it's equivalent to collecting 6%, tax free, on someone else's $3349.99!

Before you do anything, have you looked at your quarterly offers from PenFed? If you see an offer for a new CC you can accept that, then take it as a CLI on your existing card instead of a new account.

13 hours ago, Occam said:

I do not know for sure if this combination will raise your FICO. If you had a lot of open cards (say 10 or more) it would definitely help. Getting the first card from 87% to <69% will help a lot. But with just a few open cards, adding another balance may cancel that out; there are too many other variables (# of accounts with balances, % of accounts with balances etc.) to be sure. You will have to run the experiment find out. But that's how I would do it. Aside from FICO, it's equivalent to collecting 6%, tax free, on someone else's $3349.99!

Before you do anything, have you looked at your quarterly offers from PenFed? If you see an offer for a new CC you can accept that, then take it as a CLI on your existing card instead of a new account.

Thank you! Yes, I know it's hard to tell til it happens since any number of things (including these proportions) will impact my FICO, but the 87% on one card is not ideal - I think it should naturally drop to 75% from my recent payments, and then drop more if I BT some. 

I just checked my email but the offers I have tend to say "apply now," and the last I checked PenFed had a very old score for me, like 150 points lower than my score at the time, so IDK if they have any offers other than to apply for a card. 

Part of raising my score is to get a good BT card ideally for part of the balance, and if I did that at 0% I could pay off the 4.99% one first. 

I actually have exactly 10 open accounts right now, one a card with a balance and one a LOC with a balance but not super high. So I do have 10 cards, and the LOC seems to either not report or report differently some of the time. 

Thank you ❤️ 

1 hour ago, smartlypretty said:

I just checked my email but the offers I have tend to say "apply now," and the last I checked PenFed had a very old score for me, like 150 points lower than my score at the time, so IDK if they have any offers other than to apply for a card. 

You have to log in and check your offers in the dropdown. Be sure to check on the 1st day of each quarter. CV will usually remind you.

My 4/1/20 offers were based on the EQ 9 they pulled on 2/11/20.

Email offers are separate. Quarterly offers are preapproved, all you have to do is accept them. Once you max out your CC at 50k the CC offers stop coming and you only get things like auto loans & used boat trailer loans.

We’ve made an improvement at Marcus that could make moving your money easier: 

When you schedule a transfer of $100,000 or less by 12 pm ET on a business day, Marcus will complete the transfer by 5 pm ET that day.

There’s no extra step, no extra box to check. You schedule the transfer at marcus.com or on the Marcus app, and we do the rest. 

If you’re transferring money out, be sure to ask your external bank about when they’ll make the funds available. 

If you’re transferring money in, you start earning interest even before the funds are added to your available balance. 

Plus, there’s no fee from Marcus – it’s like every other transfer – and the Transfer Tracker makes it simple to follow your money’s progress at marcus.com or on the Marcus app.

2 hours ago, TheVig said:

Omaha Steaks telling me they have plenty of meat. lol.

Are they hitting on you?

This wasn't the mail, but my pension admin said it would take a cycle for a change of bank - it's monthly and small, and every transatlantic wire transfer was skimming more than 10% off it. 

I spent a lot of time looking til I saw NFCU has no wire transfer fees. And this month went there instead of my regular bank, which is mildly exciting. It's hard to tell but it looks like the exchange rate is also better and I might save 20% of the funds in general being absorbed by fees. 

Email from the vet about Junk's appointment on Monday.

Good afternoon Kay,

There’s been a small change to the COVID protocol we advised you of yesterday. Please call when you get here as discussed but we won’t be taking your pet inside the building. Please park at the far end of the lot away from other waiting clients, stay in the vehicle and make sure his muzzle is secure. Sharon will bring a you a mask and gloves to use and one of the doctors will come take care of everything in the parking lot. Thank you so much for understanding! Please call if you have any questions.

So I just called. They haven't changed their protocol. They just don't want to try to get the brute inside, have to deal with him and then bring him back out to me. I told the girl at the desk fine but they'd better be waiving the "office visit" charge. 

1 hour ago, kaylee34 said:

So I just called. They haven't changed their protocol. They just don't want to try to get the brute inside, have to deal with him and then bring him back out to me. I told the girl at the desk fine but they'd better be waiving the "office visit" charge. 

our vet has been doing that for about a month.

1 hour ago, kaylee34 said:

Will they?

We have a Black Lab that is fearful of other dogs and becomes aggressive. I have had good luck with groomers and vets accommodating me inside and mitigating any incidents.

58 minutes ago, creditmaze said:

Will they?

We have a Black Lab that is fearful of other dogs and becomes aggressive. I have had good luck with groomers and vets accommodating me inside and mitigating any incidents.

LOL no, they won't waive it. I didn't really expect them to. Junk's not bad per se but he is very aloof. He won't tolerate strangers messing with him but for so long but he's putty in a little kid's hands. A muzzle and me handling him is normal. I refuse to sedate him unnecessarily for routine stuff and it took me a while to find a like minded vet. If he wasn't due for a rabies vaccination I'd put this off but that can't wait. He's also got a broken tooth that needs to be checked so the muzzle will have to come off once the vaccines and heartworm test get done. Since they're not letting anyone inside the building the staff doesn't want to take him in there and risk getting bitten. Can't blame them for it. One of their exam rooms has a dented up metal folding chair from when got mad over getting his temp taken and chomped on it a few times. That's also how he broke that tooth.