Sign in to follow this  
Big Bear

New Card! (PNC Cash Rewards)

PNC releasing a new card on June 19th:

• 4% cash back on gas purchases
  • 3% cash back on dining purchases
  • 2% cash back on grocery purchases
  • 1% cash back on all other purchases

Seems that it will be no AF, no SUB, and capped rewards.

PNC-New-Credit-Card-640x1024.jpeg

Info courtesy of DoC.

I wonder if the relationship bonus would apply for this card. PNC used to give a 75% bonus to it's high balance customers. That would make this card 7%/5.25%/3.5%/1.75%. Not too shabby.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

I wonder if the relationship bonus would apply for this card. PNC used to give a 75% bonus to it's high balance customers. That would make this card 7%/5.25%/3.5%/1.75%. Not too shabby.

Not "75% bonus", if you're talking PNC Cashbuilder ... base 1.25%, with possible jump to 1.75% for "high" relationship (40% bonus). In any case, no such cb kicker for this card.

Cashbuilder was my default "go to" card before Citi Double Cash came on the scene. May inquire about Cashbuilder conversion to Cash Rewards for the sake of the 4% gas cb (other categories matched or exceeded by other cards).

Not "75% bonus", if you're talking PNC Cashbuilder ... base 1.25%, with possible jump to 1.75% for "high" relationship (40% bonus). In any case, no such cb kicker for this card.

Cashbuilder was my default "go to" card before Citi Double Cash came on the scene. May inquire about Cashbuilder conversion to Cash Rewards for the sake of the 4% gas cb (other categories matched or exceeded by other cards).

Yea than this card is probably not worth it since there are plenty of other cards where you can exceed these rewards.

... May inquire about Cashbuilder conversion to Cash Rewards for the sake of the 4% gas cb (other categories matched or exceeded by other cards).

That's what I was thinking too. I break out the Cash Builder about once a quarter, but I could see using this card to buy gas. Perhaps other items at 7-11 someday... but I deposit MOs at PNC... so probably just gas and bad coffee.

That may even generate enough use to get a CLI out of them eventually.

yawn

Pretty much across the board assessment on this one...each category is 'okay' rewards and the combined cap makes it that much worse.

What is the PNC footprint?

PNC was formed as the merger of Pittsburgh National and Provident National banks. It expanded outward from there, west and south.

PNC was formed as the merger of Pittsburgh National and Provident National banks. It expanded outward from there, west and south.

I joined them as a NE Ohio mortgage customer when they took over National City several years back.

Edited by Big Bear

Not sure if you all noticed, but this card looks very much like the Citi Costco, except - you get the same rewards for shopping at other grocery stores and other gas stations. Since it's a Visa, it's actually superior to the Citi Costco with No Annual Fee? Even better.

Some of you may think this card is ho-hum, but given my marginal spend patterns, AF cards don't really work for me. And, since Chase cast me out for my shenanigans when I was a youth, this would be a primary card for me, aside from my Blue Cash Amex which gives 3% at grocery stores.

I'd definitely rather have this than my current PNC card.

Is a step up from BofA Cash Rewards with the restaurant category and the extra 1% on gas... Though no warehouse clubs 2% and a lower annual cap... Though it doesn't appear to be restricted to quarterly caps.

If I didn't have a PNC card to try to PC I probably would ignore it. But it seems like a decent addition to a no fee cash back portfolio.

PNC does have regular offers (similar to BofA's) for 5-10% at certain restaurants, gas stations, Starbucks... as well.

I compare it to Sams MasterCard. Sams has better gas rewards (capped at $6k) and 3% Restaurants and Travel. Let's face it if you can't get better than 2% on groceries you're not doing it right.

Plus it's sync so limits are easy to attain. To me it's better than this card.

I believe if u have a checking or savings account u can get a card from them.

I'll wait for Hege.

I've been having such great luck apping what he apps. :rofl:

I'll wait for Hege.

I bet you'll both pass on this one.

I'll wait for Hege.

I'm too busy figuring out which cards I'm closing. :)

I'll wait for Hege.

I'm too busy figuring out which cards I'm closing. :)

I should follow your lead on that, too. But losing even one of my critters causes distress.

So close to meeting my goal ... might have to open a checking account at PNC.

i already have a checking account with PNC - this could be interesting for me. The Dining and Gas categories especially, since I entertain clients for work.

i already have a checking account with PNC - this could be interesting for me. The Dining and Gas categories especially, since I entertain clients for work.

How much do you spend annually on those combined?