Sign in to follow this  
MamaLlama

Listed as co-signer on CR but have email where we were denied... disputed twice and sent email, refuse to remove. What next?

We applied to be a co-signer for our daughter's student apartment a few years ago, but we were denied because our income didn't support both. When she moved out we got a collection entry on our reports that states she owes a balance, but she didn't default and it isn't on her report. Just ours as a co-signer, but we were denied. I have sent copies of the email where we were denied twice but they won't remove the entry. What next?

By their thinking, just because you were denied at one point doesn't mean you weren't approved later. By any chance, is your daughter enough of a pack rat that she still has her copy of the lease? That would be the definitive answer to show that you weren't somehow listed as responsible.

If there is no lease showing you were the co-signer, you are not legally responsible. Is it possible to get a copy of the lease, or a letter from the apartment? If so, include the page showing the lessor, or the apartment letter, in any correspondence with the CA/JDB.

I would send a Demand for Validation (DV) to the CA or JDB via certified mail, return receipt. State you were not on the lease, and demand removal of the collection entry. Add a sentence that you will file a complaint with the state Attorney General's office, and pursue additional legal remedies if they do not remove.

Several have posted about success with collection removals by filing with the Better Business Bureau. I would also file a complaint there, however, they are not a legal regulator - but companies hate bad publicity.

Edited by tmcgill

Update on this mess... I sent a firm letter to the OC, CA and their bonding agent with copies of everything to show that we're not liable, with a demand to remove this immediately and buying my right to court proceedings. The bonding agent, Travelers, sent a return letter asking for supporting documentation... 😑 So I called him and told him that all of the documents were already sent in the letter to their company. Basically he said that was a canned response and that he's yet to hear from their client, the CA.

Should I go ahead and contact the attorney general or give it a little more time? They've failed to respond to two letters from me previously as well as numerous phone calls.

Or would another entity be more appropriate?

Update on this mess... I sent a firm letter to the OC, CA and their bonding agent with copies of everything to show that we're not liable, with a demand to remove this immediately and buying my right to court proceedings. The bonding agent, Travelers, sent a return letter asking for supporting documentation... So I called him and told him that all of the documents were already sent in the letter to their company. Basically he said that was a canned response and that he's yet to hear from their client, the CA.

Should I go ahead and contact the attorney general or give it a little more time? They've failed to respond to two letters from me previously as well as numerous phone calls.

Why do you have to prove anything? THEY have to prove you are liable, or they cannot collect from you. Have they sent you a copy of the lease?

Update on this mess... I sent a firm letter to the OC, CA and their bonding agent with copies of everything to show that we're not liable, with a demand to remove this immediately and buying my right to court proceedings. The bonding agent, Travelers, sent a return letter asking for supporting documentation... So I called him and told him that all of the documents were already sent in the letter to their company. Basically he said that was a canned response and that he's yet to hear from their client, the CA.

Why do you have to prove anything? THEY have to prove you are liable, or they cannot collect from you. Have they sent you a copy of the lease?

No! They don't respond at all! And so far they haven't even responded to their bonding agent.

No! They don't respond at all! And so far they haven't even responded to their bonding agent.

Send them an intent-to-sue letter. If they don't respond in 30 days, sue them.

Send them an intent-to-sue letter. If they don't respond in 30 days, sue them.

Thank you.

Well, I contacted their bonding agent by CMRR and received a return letter asking for proof to support my claim of innocence. So I called Bozo T. Clown and reminded him that I sent all supporting documents with my original letter. He "remembered" then said that was more or less a form letter and he had been working on it, but their client, the collection agency, hasn't been returning his calls. <This is getting juicy>

So, I sit on it another week and then mail them an intent to sue. But, for added flare, I sent a copy to the Vice President of Travelers Casualty and Surety Bonds. 😁

Yesterday, I got notification that it has been removed from one bureau and I giggled.

Today I received this beautiful gem via CMRR. A letter stating "we have requested the account to be deleted from any consumer reporting agency files to which we may have submitted information."

A vibrant happy dance ensued.

you have to dispute THRU the CRA's first to have a right to file suit over FCRA violations.

do that NOW , see what happens

written dispute to the CRA with a printed copy of the denial letter showing that you were never accepted as a cosigner

keep it short and concise,

I've disputed with the CRAs once each year for the last two years. Comes back verified!

As long as it's gone, I don't care. The bonding agent was pissed. I'm guessing, but I bet their bond won't be renewed with Travelers.

Edited by MamaLlama

I've disputed with the CRAs once each year for the last two years. Comes back verified!

As long as it's fine, I don't care. The bonding agent was pissed. I'm guessing, but I bet their bond won't be renewed with Travelers.

Teach me to read thru to the end, Congrats !