Sign in to follow this  
chrishillson

Is BOA going to report me to Chex & EWS?

I tried to open a BOA account online and got a pending message. When the only follow up I got was an email about a debt card being mailed I called and was told the account was closed because they couldn't verify my identity and to go to a branch and open a new account. I did that and so far so good.

Now I got a letter about the 1st account that says: We may report the account to Chexsystems, EWS, or both. This may affect your ability to open an account at another financial institution for up to 5 years.

When I went to the branch I glanced at the screen and it said RISK CLOSURE DO NOT REOPEN. But the risk dept. says this is a standard message and they told the banker they were removing those comments from the account. I just called risk again and they told me the first account is in pending close status and gave me the numbers to EWS and Chex (claimed it was the "Chexsystems department" LOL)

Am I stressing this too much or is there a chance they report a risk closure to Chex & EWS? I haven't owed a bank money or even bounced a check in years. I do have more accounts than I need but I've been doing 1 or 2 sign up bonuses a year and don't want anything to get in the way of that.

It depends on what is on your Chexsystems and EWS reports. If you have negatives on EWS, that is usually an instant closure.

Pull your reports to see if any negatives are on them - and when they'll fall off.

The front office at BOA may override a negative report, but the back office (Loss Prevention) may freeze or close the new account later.

1. Get your reports.

www.chexhelp.com

https://www.earlywarning.com/consumer-information.html

2. Open one or more backup accounts with non-Chex non-EWS banks or credit unions.

Let us know if you need options for your city and state. Post your location and you'll get replies.

Edited by tmcgill

I don't believe I have anything negative on Chexsystems or EWS. I haven't owed a bank money in at least 10-15 years. i have my Chex report from Feb with 8 inquires, 6 in the past year (and half of those are duplicates). Worst thing on my EWS (again not up-to-date, late 2016) shows Previous Account Status: Overdrawn but that's probably an overdraft from around 2012 or 2013 that was quickly paid back and the account is still open and in good standing.

BOA risk told me over the phone on several calls they closed the account because they couldn't verify my identity based on Chex & EWS data. Banker opened the 2nd account with risk on the phone. Obviously I'll be careful the first few weeks and not tie up any money I couldn't afford to loose access to for 30-60 days.

I'm just concerned that this closure will be the negative that shows up. The letter they sent me is a we closed your account for business reasons and goes on to say they'll report it to Chex & EWS and this could cause issues opening accounts at other banks for 5 years.

They would only report you if you violate the agreement with that new account; Excessive overdrafts, overdrafts from checks on closed accounts, kiting or any illegal activity.

Edited by tmcgill