Sign in to follow this  
scott31337

My next step in my credit journey, suggestions?

Good day, I've been a bit of a lurker, but I wanted to ask what my next step should be.

EX 661, I know EQ has a baddie on it I'm still trying to get rid of (got rid of it on the other two CRA's, it's a $1400 damage from a rental from 4+ years ago. TU should be close/same to EX (the report is basically the same)

My brother had to go through the same thing and taught me quite a lot of the tips and tricks. I was around 480 two years ago.

My brother was in the Marines, but he is deceased and the only military in our family so I'm not eligible for NFCU.

I've had a secured card from WU a year ago - it graduated last week, $500

I got a Capital One Plat sixth months ago - CLI'ed to $500 a couple days ago

I applied to Discover, got denied (probably cuz of the EQ baddie)

Applied to Syncrony PayPal, denied as well

I applied for a Chase Slate (Guess I should've tried for the other instead w/rewards, now I know) approved for $6500 last week.

My goal is to have decent enough credit for a mortgage in 12-18 months - although having a decent CL wallet is a second goal as well. Maybe an AMEX sometime.

What would you recommend as my next step? Sit in the garden?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! I'm glad to be here!

welcome!

first, don't assume TU will be similar. these are FICO scores right? not SKORES?

as far as other cards, it depends on your spending patterns. IMHO, you are better off working on the derogs and letting the new accounts age a bit before applying for something else.

I've worked on the baddie, that's how it was removed from the other two reports (took over 30 days to DV, sent the CMRRR receipt to the CRAs) but EQ said it was still valid). They don't PFD, so I'm not sure what else to do but wait it out.

I have some vantage scores etc but yeah, those are Skores as you say. It's probably coming on my year for free reports from ACR, I may do that as well.

My feeling is to wait, but i wanted someone with more experience than myself to chime in.

Creditchecktotal.com will give you all 3 FICO's if you sign up for the 7 day trial membership for $1. You can cancel and then rejoin as many times as you want.

If you were denied credit, you can get a free copy of your report. Your denial letter will tell you what CRA was pulled. Dont order the free annual report because they CRAs have an extra 15 days to respond to any disputes.

I pulled a denial of credit report from TU and EQ - EQ still has the baddie, DOFD of 3/2012. $1,644

Synchrony just must be picky (not enough history) that's okay. I can be patient :)

Thanks for the Creditchecktotal.com info - I'll keep it in mind in the future.

With those relatively small CL's, be careful of reported balances - two tanks of gas and your utilization is high enough to impact your scores. For best FICO effect, PIF before your statement cuts each month.

I started about where you are today - all my derogs were 5 years old, and I had no open accounts. I started with a secured card, and got my first unsecured card after 6 months of on-time payment history ( BUT -- I had a $3-or 4k limit on my secured card, which influenced my unsecured approvals). When your CO is 6 years old, and you've got a year of positive history on the new cards, you should see FICO's in the high 600's. When the CO finally drops, your new accounts will be 2+ years old, and your FICO's will jump to the mid-700's.

I called Wells Fargo, they gave me a CLI to 700

My Chase Preferred verification letter came, called on it, CL 4500

Awesome! I'm gardening for now, I'm only at like 3 inquiries on each report.

Does NCC BUSINESS SERVICES PFD? I did some research myself, and did not see anything. I'd love to get rid of it off of EQ, but with a DOFD of 3/2012 and $1,644, unsure what I want to do with it. (I've DV'ed, took almost two months, got it off of TU and EX)

I also paid OC when JDB CONVERGENT OUTSOURCING INC got my Sprint bill - another JDB had it - I DV'ed - they did a partial DV and then it disappeared - they re-sold it to Convergent, I DV'ed them. Then I paid Sprint. Now it shows paid $0 from JDB. I think I'm stuck on that one now, but any suggestions would be helpful as well. DOFD 6/2014

I missed up that Sprint one, but can't dwell on the past now.

Thank you for the time, I appreciate it.

Edited by scott31337

I called Wells Fargo, they gave me a CLI to 700

My Chase Preferred verification letter came, called on it, CL 4500

Awesome! I'm gardening for now, I'm only at like 3 inquiries on each report.

Does NCC BUSINESS SERVICES PFD? I did some research myself, and did not see anything. I'd love to get rid of it off of EQ, but with a DOFD of 3/2012 and $1,644, unsure what I want to do with it. (I've DV'ed, took almost two months, got it off of TU and EX)

I also paid OC when JDB CONVERGENT OUTSOURCING INC got my Sprint bill - another JDB had it - I DV'ed - they did a partial DV and then it disappeared - they re-sold it to Convergent, I DV'ed them. Then I paid Sprint. Now it shows paid $0 from JDB. I think I'm stuck on that one now, but any suggestions would be helpful as well. DOFD 6/2014

I missed up that Sprint one, but can't dwell on the past now.

Thank you for the time, I appreciate it.

CA's get pissy when you bypass them and pay the OC directly, and some retaliate by reporting a paid collection, hoping you're not knowledgeable enough to know that this is a FCRA violation. You did not pay the CA, and it is a false statement for them to report the collection as being "paid". I think there's a canned letter for this in the Letters section of the forum. My typical letter is along the lines of-

Dear Convergent Outsourcing,

in violation of the FCRA, you are falsely reporting a collection account to the credit bureaus as a paid collection. I have never made payment to your company. You have 3 weeks to delete this false entry -- or you can meet me in court with your imaginary proof of payment.

Sincerly,

Scott31337

FYI - the term JDB specifically applies to collection agency who has purchased your debt. If the OC still owns the debt, then anyone attempting collections is referred to as a CA. The same company might do both collections on behalf of other debt owners, and also be a JDB. But when referring to a company you're dealing with, you should use the terms JDB and CA based on their relationship to your debt. Otherwise, if you refer to a CA you're dealing with as a JDB, people will assume they own the debt, and give you advice accordingly.

Edited by JeffeVerde

Letter has been mailed off. I see what you are saying (and it even says on Convergent's website) they are not a JDB.

Well here's to hoping for the best and I get rid of it, I'd be so happy.

Well it's been close to two weeks - I have not heard from Convergent, and they are still reporting on all three. Should I start researching for an attorney? I have all my paperwork (Green cards, Sprint printed out receipt in my e-mail) in my debt folder ready to go. Anything else I should do?

I can empathize with your sense of urgency - but cool your jets. It's probably been only 4 or 5 business days since it landed in someone's in-basket. I'd give it till the end of next week - if they've not deleted by then, you've got a couple options - send a follow-up "Intent to Sue" letter (there's a template on the forum); file a CFPB complaint; talk to a lawyer. I wouldn't rush to a lawyer, just yet, because it's almost certain they'll delete once you've made it clear that you're not going away.

I filed the CFPB complaint - they responded with basically

We are under contractual agreement with Sprint to show the account as paid in full when you paid Sprint on 1/25/2017

I think a letter to Sprint's legal department may be a better next step.

I also may need where in the FCRA it shows a violation as well.

I'll cool my jets as well.

Thanks for your help.

What do you expect to achieve with a letter to Sprint's legal department? Sprint isn't reporting information to the CRA's

I've heard others have success that way, sending a letter to their legal department. What Convergent is trying to pull is that it's "All on Sprint, we can't do anything" :)

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=595554&do=findComment&comment=5657297

So ben was able to get this paid Convergent collection for his Sprint bill deleted in the above thread.

I need to figure out what he did differently than what I am doing.

I've sent the BBB, CFPB, and CRA dispute. I've sent the ITS (one before) mail and a ITS e-mail (IHANHASMUNY) -

I think what might be is I have to dispute by mail with everything.

I talked with a FCRA lawyer and he says "I must respectfully disagree. Once the debt went to CA, they have right to report it but they must report it accurately. The fact that the debt is paid, irrespective of to whom you paid it, allows CA to report the debt as a paid collection."

I am up for any suggestions.

Edited by scott31337

Well I am unsure what did it, but Convergent is not reporting anymore! My EX FICO is at 681 Cap1 FAKO 722

Thank you all for your help!

My baddie from EQ is gone too! "You have no Collections on file."

I'm so happy!

App'ed for AMEX Hilton approved for $1k

Got Pre-approval for BBVA ClearPoints approved for $5k

I'm going to garden for now - do my Amex CLI in two months - and hopefully should be in a easy street for our mortgage down the road.

Edited by scott31337

I wanted to post what I've learned from here.

Once you actually have some decent credit - be patient - this is a marathon, not a sprint.

(I got a secured Card from Wells Fargo - use it a bit, PIF, repeat) and mine unsecured in nine months.

I worked on this forum to remove my baddies I could not remove my DV'ing. . I DV'ed everything a couple years ago, CMRRR. That removed four collections very easily. I had two that caused more time and paperwork. Many of the CA's fold easily if you know your rights.

I got a Wells Fargo secured card for $500. I used it at times, and PIF. I had a Wells Fargo savings account, but the second it dropped below $300 for an unexpected bill, they charged me $5. I dumped the savings and went to a Credit Union. One of the best decisions I've done. Big banks are terrible to keep your money in.

After 10 months, this secured CC unsecured - and they sent me a check for my deposit in May.

I still had one collection - the one you see above in this thread, to get rid of.

Once it was gone - I applied for my first Chase card.

Things I learned and did:

Apply for Chase cards before you get 5/24 - I did this - so thankful - although I applied for the Slate and should have applied for the CSP and then the Freedom Unlimited, I applied for the Slate first.

Apply for one every three months. Be patient - do not apply for anything else - Chase has some of the best cards out.

Things I have done and you should not do:

Apply for a card that's useless - I got a HSBC mailer - and applied for it - I got a bad limit and no rewards, and needed my life history to get the card.

I know I'm mumbling here. I want to thank Credit Boards for what they do, I would not be here without their help.

If you go and get a Credit One Card or First Premier or the other scum - you are trying the lazy, undisciplined route. You'll regret it.

<3

https://i.imgur.com/MrNdCCx.png

Edited by scott31337