Sign in to follow this  
thilbert

Help me build the killer app for credit repair

Greetings,

Several years ago, I found tremendous help here while repairing my credit, but I found navigating the numerous related threads and posts difficult to follow. I often wondered if I were getting all the pertinent information in the correct order, but I persisted and managed to clear up my credit. Recently, my son has followed in my footsteps and borked his credit. I pointed him here and told him to read, read, read, but having ADD has caused him no end of consternation. Futile, I believe is the word he used. As a software developer, it occurred to me that the general process advocated by many (most?) here would lend itself to a software solution, a guided software solution, however, I find myself struggling to tease out the best way to go about it. I then realized that I am not a subject matter expert, you all are.

So here I am asking for your thoughts on process, procedure, features etc. I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Best regards,

Troy

This is a free DIY forum and you're asking people to help you build an app... are you going to give the app away for free forever?

CB is free that's one reason why it's a great place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yes, it will be free forever. To be fair, I am not asking for coding help, I'll do all the work, I am just looking for guidance that can only come from the pros: help with use cases, edge cases, features etc.

I'm not sure an app could do much to actively help in the repair process to the extent that it could tell you how or whether to dispute an account.

It would be easier to get it to provide organization and tracking of your account history. Perhaps access to Federal and State debt collection statutes and tips as to which factors could be improved. I would start with a way to input all the account data that appears on one CRAs credit report. Seperate entities if there were additional fields related to certain accounts... and build from there. Essentially, unless you have the entire credit profile you can make the wrong decision. Set up a calendar that tracks age of accounts and fall off dates. Then consider if there is any universal guidance that exists. I would guess that there isn't. Some things that work today didn't work yesterday and won't work tomorrow. And sometimes people's own story that doesn't appear on the CR has an impact too.

The biggest problem you have is there isn't a one size fits all solution. Depending on your situation there may be very different approaches, and taking the wrong one could have unintended consequences.

Mod: Agreed. I was thinking along the lines of for each discreet chunk of information (tradeline, personal info, inquiries etc) that the app would provide actions in context. For instance: the app displays a list of collection accounts and for each account add actions - "validate", "verify", "cease & desist" etc. When one of those options are selected, the app would then display a user configurable list of letters the user can select and a printable letter with all pertinent account/user information already pre-filled. The app would then take note that the item is in dispute and waits for the user to indicate the date the letter was sent. The app will then monitor all disputed items and set reminders or what have you. Each activity the user initiates will then be recorded so that a history of the item in dispute will be built.

Full automation is not really useful for this type of tool, but providing context sensitive options (which will be configurable) eases the burden of the disputant.

I'm looking for help with defining processes that give the user a step-wise way to dispute bad information: OC -> Step 1, verify -> if satisfactory result -> Done, else Step 2 ... and so on.

It is hard because every situation is unique, but to start you need some sort of API from EX, EQ, and TU to start off to pull the persons credit. The user will then be able to analyze their situation from there and you can have the process that you are talking about start from there.

So say there's a charge-off on "Account X" on one of the CRAs the user will be able click that negative item and see what options they have, if any, to dispute.

If I could find a way to make a table here it would be much easier.

Make sense?

Edited by EasyEasyE

Mod: Agreed. I was thinking along the lines of for each discreet chunk of information (tradeline, personal info, inquiries etc) that the app would provide actions in context. For instance: the app displays a list of collection accounts and for each account add actions - "validate", "verify", "cease & desist" etc. When one of those options are selected, the app would then display a user configurable list of letters the user can select and a printable letter with all pertinent account/user information already pre-filled. The app would then take note that the item is in dispute and waits for the user to indicate the date the letter was sent. The app will then monitor all disputed items and set reminders or what have you. Each activity the user initiates will then be recorded so that a history of the item in dispute will be built.

Full automation is not really useful for this type of tool, but providing context sensitive options (which will be configurable) eases the burden of the disputant.

I'm looking for help with defining processes that give the user a step-wise way to dispute bad information: OC -> Step 1, verify -> if satisfactory result -> Done, else Step 2 ... and so on.

model off the FTC site for ID theft - walks a person thru Q/A and spits out a FACTA letter with other advice.

I think it's a great concept but I think something that would be more likely to have maximum impact would just be a really well designed Internet wiki on the subject with a great table of contents. Basically something that contains the expertise of whychat's site, but presents it in an easy to follow format. Broken down by subject and able to easy search using keywords.

The biggest problem you have is there isn't a one size fits all solution. Depending on your situation there may be very different approaches, and taking the wrong one could have unintended consequences.

This. An app would have difficulty presenting the nuances.

Bingo!

No app will work well.

TurboTax has an app for filing taxes. Apps used with devices can capture health info.

Credit repair isn't rocket science.

A wiki would be a better approach.

(DollarDog screwed up my post :beee:)

Edited by Kat58

The software used on CB does not support a wiki and won't be changed. That gets brought up at least a couple times a year.

There are plenty of master threads for anyone who wants to read them.

It's not rocket science, but it is also not cookie cutter.

The bottom line though is that more organization isn't really going to change anything.

Edited by mendelssohn

We have, It was built in 2003, and it's called CreditBoards. After 14 years, I think every question has been asked and answered many times, with lots of extraneous information. We can't even get people to post the same way on here. With the volume of work we few manage to accomplish, I don't think a wiki is necessary, and certainly not willing to add it to one of my duties as admin.

We have, It was built in 2003, and it's called CreditBoards. After 14 years, I think every question has been asked and answered many times, with lots of extraneous information. We can't even get people to post the same way on here. With the volume of work we few manage to accomplish, I don't think a wiki is necessary, and certainly not willing to add it to one of my duties as admin.

1point_zpsshbaurhi.jpg

There is so much information here that it would be impossible.

The information is easily accessible to everyone. They do need to do some basic searching, but people always help with links.

With all that was said, there are better forum platforms that offer better flow of information. CB data can be easily exported and then imported into a more mobile friendly one. I was going to reach out some time ago to the site owners.. but decided against it for various reasons. My two cents would be use a Joomla or WP main platform to post articles and have the forum as a plugin. You could really apply the best of both programs - articles and user contribution. Many experts here could write some nice articles that could earn them a stipend or share of on page ad revenue. All articles nicely laid out, categorized and searchable. You can have open content and member only content.

This site gets on average 4K visitors a day. Myfico (landing page) about 22K a day. There is no reason this site could not get 10K a day just by revamping. Sell it or outsource it if becomes too much to handle. Or just leave it alone.. but audiences will go where it is the easiest to find information they are looking for.

Edited by flanative

We operate a non profit organization. So sometime we tend to do thinks a bit differently. In the past we have had a landing page and articles. They did not work well for us . I think our landing page's successor was Joomla. That's as deep as I'm willing to go. The owners can clarify further if necessary

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

With all that was said, there are better forum platforms that offer better flow of information. CB data can be easily exported and then imported into a more mobile friendly one. I was going to reach out some time ago to the site owners.. but decided against it for various reasons. My two cents would be use a Joomla or WP main platform to post articles and have the forum as a plugin. You could really apply the best of both programs - articles and user contribution. Many experts here could write some nice articles that could earn them a stipend or share of on page ad revenue. All articles nicely laid out, categorized and searchable. You can have open content and member only content.

This site gets on average 4K visitors a day. Myfico (landing page) about 22K a day. There is no reason this site could not get 10K a day just by revamping. Sell it or outsource it if becomes too much to handle. Or just leave it alone.. but audiences will go where it is the easiest to find information they are looking for.

MF piggybacks on the FICO portion.

Information is already easy to find. I'm not sure why you think it needs to be revamped or changed.

I also wanted to add that I like it better without a landing page and without articles. An article is one person's opinion and conclusion. The threads here contain multiple viewpoints that even in what might be a black and white issue, add nuance.

CB is already the best credit forum online. If it weren't, MF would not have plagiarized CB when they started the forums. People from MF come here to really learn, but the opposite never happens.

And CB will never beat MF in traffic since they piggyback off of FICO. That hasn't stopped CB from being the best credit forum online though.

Instead of trying to change something that works great, it would be nice if those wanting to help would simply start more threads organizing their knowledge or take on maintaining one or more of the numerous master threads.

For those who feel it is difficult to access the information they need (it isn't), I would suggest that they aren't willing to put in the work necessary to build a solid credit profile for the long term. It takes a lot of searching, reading and asking to do that. You can't do it just with wikis, form letters and articles.

Edited by mendelssohn

I think the information on the board is very easy to find. My biggest problem is I access the site from my cell phone via the Tapatalk app.

The issue I have is the app is slow and sluggish. Sometimes I have to open and close a thread to get it load.

I also used to access another site xda-developers through Tapatalk which also had the same issue. Last year they made their own stand alone app to access the board and everything works seamlessly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Edited by dmills

I think the information on the board is very easy to find. My biggest issue is I access the site from my cell phone via the Tapatalk app. The issue I have is the app is slow and sluggish. Sometimes I have to open and close a thread to get it open.

I also used to access another site xda-developers through Tapatalk which also had the same issue. Last year they made their own stand alone app to access the board and everything works seamlessly.

I just use the mobile setting (not Tapatalk) and it works fine for me. I am on mobile probably 90% of the time.

I think the information on the board is very easy to find. My biggest issue is I access the site from my cell phone via the Tapatalk app. The issue I have is the app is slow and sluggish. Sometimes I have to open and close a thread to get it open.

I just use the mobile setting (not Tapatalk) and it works fine for me. I am on mobile probably 90% of the time.
Mobile settings?