Sign in to follow this  
purplegurl1920

NFCU is no longer accepting Navy League - San Diego

They are going to start allowing it again, secretly, and slowly. I went into a branch to beg for mercy and they just said "We don't accept NLSD right now." And she almost winked at me.

Edited by CaptainABCD

sweet! I have an app in, and they had just kicked it back on elegibility docs.. was going to try Nawbo, but submitted ny NLSD docs instead. will see :)

Is that Navy San League Diego?

Yep. Now I don't know if it matters or not, but both her and i have veteran spouses - so maybe her form was filled in to show she is a veteran family. I know my app I filled out the same. Either way though, neither of us provided DD214, and she was approved after the stated cut off on this thread.

Veteran spouse makes you eligible.

Right, but not without official documentation to support it (DD214). Neither of us wanted to have to have our husbands sponsor us, so we tried NLSD, but listed us as veteran families on our app.

Edited by shadekitty

You don't usually have to supply a DD214 to join, just when they audit your membership eligibility.

My friend says DD214 was not provided. Just the membership letter for NLSD after this email confirming eligibility. This was the email sent to me over FB that was received.

Thank you for your email. In order to process your membership application, we ask that you provide proof of your membership eligibility. If your spouse is a Veteran, please provide your marriage certificate and your spouse's DD214 reflecting honorably discharged. The other ways that you may be eligible are as follows:

• All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel - Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force, retirees and annuitants
  • All Department of Defense Reservists - Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force retirees and annuitants
  • All Army and Air National Guard Personnel - civilian employees, retirees and annuitants
  • All DoD Officer Candidate programs: Midshipmen and cadets at the United States Naval Academy, United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, United States Coast Guard Academy and the United States Merchant Marine Academy; Other Officer Programs
  • U.S. Government employees assigned to DoD installations (including Coast Guard)
  • All DoD civilian employees - including retirees and annuitants
  • DoD contractors assigned to U.S. Government installations
  • Veterans - including personnel separated from, and who previously served in, the United States Armed Forces or United States Coast Guard and were honorably discharged
  • Family Members, including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

If eligible through employment, you would need to provide proof of employment such as military contract showing you are eligible. If eligible through family members, you would need to provide the corresponding birth certificates to show relation. If you are eligible through a household member, you would need to provide a mortgage/lease, Utility Bill (electric, water, gas bill), or IDs for you and the household member showing the same address.

You may attach the requested documents in direct reply to this email, along with your membership application. We look forward to your reply.

You don't usually have to supply a DD214 to join, just when they audit your membership eligibility.

^

So, we mailed in an application about 2 weeks ago and have had to provide all kinds of documentation via email.

Today, we walked in the branch to see about opening my son an account. We went armed with Grandpa's dd214, dad's birthday certificate and son's birth certificate to show lineage and eligibility. We were told you don't have to prove anything when opening an account in the branch. If you say you're Grandpa was in the Army, he was in the Army. Then she said they MAY request the documents in a future audit, but maybe not.

What the heck?

So, we mailed in an application about 2 weeks ago and have had to provide all kinds of documentation via email.

Today, we walked in the branch to see about opening my son an account. We went armed with Grandpa's dd214, dad's birthday certificate and son's birth certificate to show lineage and eligibility. We were told you don't have to prove anything when opening an account in the branch. If you say you're Grandpa was in the Army, he was in the Army. Then she said they MAY request the documents in a future audit, but maybe not.

What the heck?

That's what I said.

What the heck?

That's what I said.
But they DO verify eligibility when you apply via mail. Which I find odd. The only reason we did mail is because of my husband's work hours. We had to provide the DD214 beforehand, not in an audit that may or may not happen. To add insult to injury, Grandpa's DD214 was burned in the fire in '73, so we had to get extra creative in finding a copy.

What the heck?

That's what I said.
But they DO verify eligibility when you apply via mail. Which I find odd. The only reason we did mail is because of my husband's work hours. We had to provide the DD214 beforehand, not in an audit that may or may not happen. To add insult to injury, Grandpa's DD214 was burned in the fire in '73, so we had to get extra creative in finding a copy.

They do not ALWAYS verify eligibility when you do not apply in person.

Not a single member of my family has been asked for any documentation and neither has anybody from my wife's family who applied. I have friends who are veterans and even current active duty personnel apply over the phone and no documentation necessary.

I tried applying a long time ago in a branch in Killeen and was told I had to bring my husbands DD214 in. I was traveling so of course I didn't have it with me. Interesting that they try to verify in certain situations and not in others..

I tried applying a long time ago in a branch in Killeen and was told I had to bring my husbands DD214 in. I was traveling so of course I didn't have it with me. Interesting that they try to verify in certain situations and not in others..

Hence the oft used phrase - Your Mileage May Vary

FYI, I joined years ago and ignored them when they requested documentation.

I called back today to try to get my membership reactivated through NLSD and the guy knew all about it and said they are no longer accepting accounts from there.

I wish I saw this thread yesterday. I just spent $25 for nothing. This is what I got as a response today:

"Thank you for your interest in joining Navy Federal. We have reviewed the documentation which provided your affiliation with the Navy League of San Diego (NLSD) as your qualifying eligibility criteria. However, the NLSD is no longer within Navy Federal's field of membership. As such, we are unable to approve your application."

Any recommendation as to where to go next to rebuild with a CU?

Are they still allowing roommates of NFCU members to join?

Confirmed roommates of members are eligible to join, need documents showing same address (License, bill, etc)

I wish I saw this thread yesterday. I just spent $25 for nothing. This is what I got as a response today:

"Thank you for your interest in joining Navy Federal. We have reviewed the documentation which provided your affiliation with the Navy League of San Diego (NLSD) as your qualifying eligibility criteria. However, the NLSD is no longer within Navy Federal's field of membership. As such, we are unable to approve your application."

Any recommendation as to where to go next to rebuild with a CU?

You can use that NLSD membership to join Penfed.