Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

Request: Blockchain Reading Recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for a good book or two on the fundamentals of blockchain technology, written for a business audience, and not a technical one.

I am NOT interested in Bitcoin or other crypto-currencies. I want to read about other ways to apply the underlying blockchain technology elsewhere in business.

I guess the initial enthusiasm for blockchain might have been short lived. Just in case if others are interested, here’s a recent WSJ article on use of blockchain for other than crypto currencies.

Why Blockchain Will Survive, Even If Bitcoin Doesn’t

Because such “smart contracts” on a blockchain are code, they can contain rules about how they can be modified or transferred. In this way, blockchain could become a way to transfer the obligation of enforcement from bureaucrats to computers. For example, to prevent fraud, titles could be transferable only to certain accounts, or might transfer only after another condition, such as the transfer of funds in escrow, is met.

It’s too early to say whether blockchain, as both a technology and a movement, has the power to overcome issues that thwarted generations of software engineers. The most justifiable skepticism is that blockchain is incremental rather than revolutionary. In some cases, it isn’t much more than a marketing term imposed on systems that hardly differ from existing databases. (There’s a healthy debate about what blockchain even means, and even companies like CartaSense call their system a “blockchain-like technology.”)

Edited by credit_help