Sign in to follow this  
Miss Jules

Frames and glasses online, can you recommend any?

My glasses are just ugh....

I do not want to pay lenscrafters six hundred bucks for a new pair. Fifteen bucks for the exam w/insurance, then order online sounds groovy.

Can you recommend a site? I have a blind as a bat prescription, so taking that in mind- I'll have to get them thinned down a LOT.

thanks if someone has a choice/experience!

I do not want to pay lenscrafters six hundred bucks for a new pair. Fifteen bucks for the exam w/insurance, then order online sounds groovy.

Can you recommend a site? I have a blind as a bat prescription, so taking that in mind- I'll have to get them thinned down a LOT.

I have had good luck with zenni optical. Their sizing tools are decent, the glasses are decently priced and have been good quality. No complaints here. Ordered from them several times.

I've purchased glasses from these sites with good results. I go to a local optical shop and to get a prescription first (groupon has deals often).

eyebuydirect.com

warbyparker.com (will let you test the frames first, shipped to your door)

I go to Costco for glasses. Much cheaper than Pearle, Lenscrafters, etc.

I've also gone to Target and W**M*** before.

I get my prescription at an opthamologist since he does retina exams, glaucoma testing without the dread tonometer (the air puffer thingy) and bills medical insurance since its associated with Type II Diabetes.

I have had good luck with zenni optical. Their sizing tools are decent, the glasses are decently priced and have been good quality. No complaints here. Ordered from them several times.
I've ordered from Zenni several times also and was quite satisfied. Also from 39dollarglasses. Also from Costco.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

If you are ordering online, be certain to have your Pupillary Distance measurement as you will be asked. It is not always on your prescription because that measurement is normally the responsibility of the optician, not the optometrist or ophthalmologist. Yes it is important. You may get mysterious headaches if not correct. I got mine by just asking the optometrist who then took a measurement. Supposedly you can determine the PD measurement yourself, but that is not for me.

Yes, 39 Dollar Glasses and Zenni Optical are both good.

I've ordered a pair or two online. Was very happy. Can't remember where I got them from though...it has been a while.

Not to hijack the thread....but I wanted to ask a question. They can't do bi or tri or progressive lenses online can they?

I've been doing the progressive contacts for the last few years...and really, it just isn't doing it for me. Ergo, time to go back to glasses.

I don't really mind if I have to go through a regular optician for the multi-focal glasses, (if I can't do it online) just so long as the doc will also write me a couple of extra Rx's for my computer or near sight glasses. (I want a pair for use on the computer or when I am in bed focusing in on an area 16 - 22 inches away.
I tried to ask that last time and they looked at me like I was crazy. :dntknw: At the time I just wanted my contacts plus a pair for the computer/reading so that I could take out my contacts at night (otherwise I'd have to be an inch or two from it to read...I'm seriously nearsighted)

Anyway..back to the question...can multi-focal lenses be ordered online or is that one of those things where you have to be there for the optician to fit you?

As someone who just received their first bifocal glasses and first contacts in 20+ years let me leave this here...

Bifocal is just an extra spot on the eyeglass prescription form next to cylinder, axis, and sphere called Additional. I had a retail optician do the measurements and since insurance would pay for it I bought rather high end lenses for the progressive vision (Carl Zeiss). I'm glad I did because while it took getting used to, I'm glad I went with this style as I can hardly tell I have bifocals on other than when I tilt my head back and everything away gets blurry. I'm written for a 1.75 reader lens, and I can read up close at darn near 20/20. If you're paying cash for these types of lenses it's very pricey even at Costco.

I suppose bifocals can be bought online as long as the measurements are accurate, same as standard single vision. Would I trust it being right? :dntknw:

My contacts OTOH are single vision (as most are - extreme bifocal requires using one eye for reading, another for distance ... not happening) and the optometrist made these so I can see distance, which I can see road signs far away quite well. For reading and most computer activities the optometrist had me get 1.25 readers instead of the 1.75 my opthamologist wrote for the bifocals. On my 24" iMac screen and in the font this board uses I can read this without having to put the readers on. Anything smaller than this font I have to put on the readers. I'm debating on getting a set of 1.75 readers to determine if 1.25 is too weak for things like reading fine print in some books and such.

I've ordered a pair or two online. Was very happy. Can't remember where I got them from though...it has been a while.

Not to hijack the thread....but I wanted to ask a question. They can't do bi or tri or progressive lenses online can they?

I've been doing the progressive contacts for the last few years...and really, it just isn't doing it for me. Ergo, time to go back to glasses.

I don't really mind if I have to go through a regular optician for the multi-focal glasses, (if I can't do it online) just so long as the doc will also write me a couple of extra Rx's for my computer or near sight glasses. (I want a pair for use on the computer or when I am in bed focusing in on an area 16 - 22 inches away.

I tried to ask that last time and they looked at me like I was crazy. :dntknw: At the time I just wanted my contacts plus a pair for the computer/reading so that I could take out my contacts at night (otherwise I'd have to be an inch or two from it to read...I'm seriously nearsighted)

Anyway..back to the question...can multi-focal lenses be ordered online or is that one of those things where you have to be there for the optician to fit you?

I've been ordering progressives online for years, both cheapies (relatively speaking) as well as premium brands.

I've been ordering progressives online for years, both cheapies (relatively speaking) as well as premium brands.

Happy Birthday!!! :wave:

Happy Birthday!!! :wave:

Thanks!

I hate glasses. I use monovision contacts. I am very far sighted and can't even read my tablet in bed. Solution, monovision. One eye is +3.75 so I can see close and the other is +1.75 to correct for astigmatism. I've had bifocals before and always fell down steps and stairs. I always get the script and order online.

I've ordered from Zenni several times also and was quite satisfied. Also from 39dollarglasses. Also from Costco.

Goggles 4 you is another cheap place. Stay away from the cheapest frames they sell.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I hate glasses. I use monovision contacts. I am very far sighted and can't even read my tablet in bed. Solution, monovision. One eye is +3.75 so I can see close and the other is +1.75 to correct for astigmatism. I've had bifocals before and always fell down steps and stairs. I always get the script and order online.

I wish I could do this. My brain just couldn't process it. I couldn't see near OR far, and we gave up on this plan after a couple of weeks. For my eyes, it seems contacts in general don't work as well as glasses, though I may try again. It's been quite a few years since I wore them.

Happy Birthday!

Thanks, survived it. It was one of the 0's.

Edited by hawaiigirl

I wish I could do this. My brain just couldn't process it. I couldn't see near OR far, and we gave up on this plan after a couple of weeks. For my eyes, it seems contacts in general don't work as well as glasses, though I may try again. It's been quite a few years since I wore them.

Oh, that was super easy for me. They even one time had to change the far eye from the close eye. I never even had a problem with that. I guess I was lucky. I always use 1-800-Contacts. Great service and I make the package last like 2 years. I hardly ever take them out. (I know).

Oh, that was super easy for me. They even one time had to change the far eye from the close eye. I never even had a problem with that. I guess I was lucky. I always use 1-800-Contacts. Great service and I make the package last like 2 years. I hardly ever take them out. (I know).

My optometrist told me my contacts could only be worn 18 hours per day and had to soak in solution no less than six hours. Right now I do a 12 in and 12 out routine. For my style of contact (Torics) and prescription though 800-Contacts was about 50% more expensive than Costco.