Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Passing Along Credit Card Fees to Customers

The last post in this topic was posted 1305 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Interesting ... I just got a robocall at work from a merchant services company. The recorded pitch was, basically: Use us, and your business will never have to pay credit card processing fees again. The fees will be paid by your customers, and will appear as a separate line item on their receipts. All your business pays is the monthly rental for the machine.

Has anyone run into businesses that are doing this? Is it permissible under the current Visa/MC rules?

Any business that does this, except of course square users (And makes it a point to show they're billing me for their CC fee as a separate line item), loses my business from that point on.

Eat the fee or eat ramen.

I agree that it's a bad idea. It's just the first time that I've seen a merchant services company promoting it, and I wondered if it was becoming a trend.

Edited by traveler505

Any business that does this, except of course square users (And makes it a point to show they're billing me for their CC fee as a separate line item), loses my business from that point on.

Eat the fee or eat ramen.

You realize your paying it whether or not it shows on the bill right? Its just a business being fair to the cash using customers otherwise businesses just charge everyone more to make up for it.

I'm a residential contractor 7 years in business I've had less than a handful of customer ask if I take credit card. Nope, I tell them I'll do pay pal if they pay the fee. Only had one take me up on it, he had a huge house with his and hers lexuses in the drive, you'd think he would of had the cash. With the business I'm in 99.9% of people have their checkbooks ready and don't even ask. So I have no reason to bother with a merchant service.

Cash has its own costs in processing, depositing and labor involved -- Particularly in retail or frequent transaction businesses. It generally costs the same to accept money either way, unless of course: You're hiding the cash from big brother.

To that end. I don't really care if cash and credit customers are sharing the pain. Accept my plastic or you'll be eating struggle sandwiches.

Last month I had a whole new HVAC system installed in my house. $6,200. The company told me they don't take credit cards for these jobs unless I pay them an extra 3%. I paid them by check, so I didn't earn any airline miles. They do take credit cards for service calls for no extra fee, but not for the expensive stuff.

Last month I had a whole new HVAC system installed in my house. $6,200. The company told me they don't take credit cards for these jobs unless I pay them an extra 3%. I paid them by check, so I didn't earn any airline miles. They do take credit cards for service calls for no extra fee, but not for the expensive stuff.

Should have found another company, or paid them with money orders.

Edited by Konrad2012

Thats funny HVAC is what I do.

As to zobelles therory of handling cash costing money. Except for the one time a guy paid me for a furnace in wrinkled 1s, 5s, 10s and 20s that smelled like weed. I never had problem going to the bank with a handful of checks every few weeks, just like I worked for a company that pays with a check every two weeks.

Most companies just build the costs into the their bottom line.

If I were going to pay a large sum in cash.. I would state it up front and ask for a discount at that time.

Most companies just build the costs into the their bottom line.

If I were going to pay a large sum in cash.. I would state it up front and ask for a discount at that time.

+1 ABSOLUTELY!

As a merchant and a customer the processing fees should be built into the price on the items or service.

As a consumer no one wants to see a line item for a processing fee.

Even the $6,200 HVAC unit mentioned above should of had processing built into the cost and the contractor should offer a discount to the customer for cash or check payment.

I paid for my new $14K HVAC system last year with a CC (no extra charge).

You went with an expensive company, I mean really expensive. An expensive company with billboard ads around here will do a basic system for 8k or so. The expensive high efficient systems are a gimmick they're more expensive to put in and more expensive to fix never saving you any money. You got hosed, no CC fee on 14k means jack when I'll do most furnace ac replacements for 5 - 6k.

Edited by oldblue

You went with an expensive company, I mean really expensive. An expensive company with billboard ads around here will do a basic system for 8k or so. The expensive high efficient systems are a gimmick they're more expensive to put in and more expensive to fix never saving you any money. You got hosed, no CC fee on 14k means jack when I'll do most furnace ac replacements for 5 - 6k.

No, I bought a top technology system appropriate for a house my size. And it was the entire HVAC system.

Edited by mendelssohn

No, I bought a top technology system appropriate for a house my size. And it was the entire HVAC system.

Duct work and all? I'm talking just furnace/ac retrofit. I'm on a 3200 sqft house with a boiler now. I'm ripping out the boiler and doing forced air complete system with a load calc, all metal duct work sized appropriately, sealed and insulated where needed for 15k.

Duct work and all? I'm talking just furnace/ac retrofit. I'm on a 3200 sqft house with a boiler now. I'm ripping out the boiler and doing forced air complete system with a load calc, all metal duct work sized appropriately, sealed and insulated where needed for 15k.

In my area, $6K wouldn't even get you a basic single stage system for my house. I have a multi stage with about 40 levels (not dual stage).

You certainly can't guess cost based on 0 information either. $6K might buy you a single stage system in a 1200 sq ft house in TX.

In my area, $6K wouldn't even get you a basic single stage system for my house. I have a multi stage with about 40 levels (not dual stage).

You certainly can't guess cost based on 0 information either. $6K might buy you a single stage system in a 1200 sq ft house in TX.

Thats a modular system, its not for efficiency even if thats what they tell you. Those systems and the 2 stage systems are designed for comfort not energy efficiency. They are a maintenance nightmare they have a lot more expensive parts that are harder to get. Basic systems are cheaper to install and cheaper to fix. All of them break no matter how high end just like cars. Pull up an energy calculator and get your electric/gas bill out the basic systems are always cheaper in the long run. I'm in ohio 6k will get you a complete retrofit in a 2500 sq ft house from a lot of companies.

The expensive companies around here will hit you for 12 - 18k on bigger houses with the high end junk so its not the area.

Thats a modular system, its not for efficiency even if thats what they tell you. Those systems and the 2 stage systems are designed for comfort not energy efficiency. They are a maintenance nightmare they have a lot more expensive parts that are harder to get. Basic systems are cheaper to install and cheaper to fix. All of them break no matter how high end just like cars. Pull up an energy calculator and get your electric/gas bill out the basic systems are always cheaper in the long run. I'm in ohio 6k will get you a complete retrofit in a 2500 sq ft house from a lot of companies.

More energy efficient by far than a 2 stage.

You can't even begin to compare HVAC system requirements in OH with TX, especially over the internet with 0 info.

I got a great deal and am saving a fortune on my electric bills each month. I know how to do research and know people in the field, so please stop second guessing my ability to research major purchases. You don't know my region or information.

The expensive companies around here will hit you for 12 - 18k on bigger houses with the high end junk so its not the area.

You're in OH, not TX.

I had a couple estimates much higher.

"High end junk" tells me all I need to know about how you got your numbers.

Edited by mendelssohn

More energy efficient by far than a 2 stage.

You can't even begin to compare HVAC system requirements in OH with TX, especially over the internet with 0 info.

I got a great deal and am saving a fortune on my electric bills each month. I know how to do research and know people in the field, so please stop second guessing my ability to research major purchases. You don't know my region or information.

You're in OH, not TX.

I had a couple estimates much higher.

Whoever your getting your info from hasn't told you the multi stage systems are less efficient when they are not running on the highest stage. Its a marketing thing most techs are trained for sales not service. I can buy a 96% efficient single stage furnace for a 2000 sq ft house for less than $1000. As long as its sized right for the house with a load calc its about as efficient as it gets.

Did you buy a multi stage heat pump system? If so its worse than I thought. Just wait til that thing breaks out of warranty. The duct work and load calc are more important than the type of equipment no matter where you are. I guarantee you would be thousands of dollars ahead if you would of went with a basic system sized appropriately even if you had to spend a few thousand making sure your duct work is perfect.

You are incorrect and have no clue about HVAC requirements in TX.

Nowhere did I say heat pump.

How about dropping it since you don't know this region or my info.

Thats good the modular gas furnaces arn't as bad as the multi stage heat pumps. Why haven't you shared? I got a load calc program and an energy calculator that will work anywhere. I know hvac, I've been doing it a lot of years and never has the high end equipment made sense unless your worried about comfort more than energy efficiency.

You obviously don't know TX HVAC requirements, so how about dropping it.

This thread is not about HVAC.

Edited by mendelssohn

The last post in this topic was posted 1305 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.