Sign in to follow this  
IodineNightSky

Want NFCU membership - deceased dad was army

So I'm trying to get membership to nfcu and I'm not in the military.

My dad was in Vietnam (in the jungle actually), but he passed away a few years ago. He was not an NFCU member before he died.

My grandfather was active in WWII as well if that matters.

Looking at the nfcu site it doesn't look like I can get in based on that - any ideas?

I see there are various threads on potential work-arounds but I'd prefer not to sink time and effort into something that is only marginally likely to get me membership approval.

Thoughts? Are there any sure-fire ways for me to get in?

Edited by IodineNightSky

So I'm trying to get membership to nfcu and I'm not in the military.

My dad was in Vietnam (in the jungle actually), but he passed away a few years ago. He was not an NFCU member before he died.

My grandfather was active in WWII as well if that matters.

Looking at the nfcu site it doesn't look like I can get in based on that - any ideas?

I see there are various threads on potential work-arounds but I'd prefer not to sink time and effort into something that is only marginally likely to get me membership approval.

Thoughts? Are there any sure-fire ways for me to get in?

Does gaining eligibility via military affiliation give a member any preferential treatment? If not, try joining using Navy League membership.

Do you have a copy of your father's DD-214? If so, you could join since he was eligible.

Otherwise you need to join the Navy League San Diego Chapter. There's a thread "NFCU Is Open To Everyone", follow the first post.

My DH's father was retired from the Army, and we were able to become members recently through him even though DFiL was never a member, and passed away in 2015. We have his DD-214, but so far nobody's asked for them.

My DH's father was retired from the Army, and we were able to become members recently through him even though DFiL was never a member, and passed away in 2015. We have his DD-214, but so far nobody's asked for them.

Yep, Iodine can join organically, but better have the DD-214 in case it's ever asked for. NFCU is known to verify eligibility months later.

I agree there's no longer a need to jump thru hoops or enlisting in the Navy to join Navy Federal Credit Union. Join the NL of San Diego for $25, submit proof of that, and you're good to go.

We now must concentrate on an opening to join USAA, since they narrowed their eligibility requirements a few years ago.

Since your dad is a veteran you qualify for membership under the recently changed rules that allow veterans and their family members. You'll need dd214 copy and birth certificate. you're good to go. I went in under the navy league but i qualify both ways since my dad served in the army in the Korean conflict. my dad was buried in a national cemetery and given military funeral.

The Navy League method can get you in quickly. If you have to send off for a DD214 from St. Louis, it will take months to receive it.

The Navy League method can get you in quickly. If you have to send off for a DD214 from St. Louis, it will take months to receive it.

Relatively quickly. It still me over 3 weeks to get in to NFCU via the Navy League

You are eligible, just join. I joined under my deceased parents who never had an account. Both were in the Army. It's not like USAA where they had to of had an account.

I agree there's no longer a need to jump thru hoops or enlisting in the Navy to join Navy Federal Credit Union. Join the NL of San Diego for $25, submit proof of that, and you're good to go.

We now must concentrate on an opening to join USAA, since they narrowed their eligibility requirements a few years ago.

This is why people can't use SD anymore. People get greedy and want to get benefits from things they aren't actually entitled to. Those people who joined NFCU through San Diego should just consider themselves lucky. To try and figure out another loophole to get into USAA seems strange to me. These CUs are specifically created to help people (or their family members) who have (or are willing to) risk their lives to serve their country. They're generous with their CLs and offers because military personnel sometimes deal with very difficult financial situations, such as injuries that prevent work and so on. Not trying to ruffle feathers, but there's a difference between taking advantage of a known loophole that helps out a local chapter versus "concentrating" on finding a crack in USAA.

This is why people can't use SD anymore. People get greedy and want to get benefits from things they aren't actually entitled to. Those people who joined NFCU through San Diego should just consider themselves lucky. To try and figure out another loophole to get into USAA seems strange to me. These CUs are specifically created to help people (or their family members) who have (or are willing to) risk their lives to serve their country. They're generous with their CLs and offers because military personnel sometimes deal with very difficult financial situations, such as injuries that prevent work and so on. Not trying to ruffle feathers, but there's a difference between taking advantage of a known loophole that helps out a local chapter versus "concentrating" on finding a crack in USAA.

For a long time NFCU let hippies in who's grandfathers were annuitants, but not actual combat veterans. So find the cracks as far as I am concerned.

As a combat vet, I have mixed feelings towards USAA. For decades, it was only for commissioned, and later, warrant officers. They finally opened up membership to enlisted folks not so many years ago.

As Konrad notes, they allowed ex-spouses, children, step-children, grandchildren and further direct descendants [non-service], to join as long as there was no break in membership back to the original military veteran member. Now the number of non-military/non-veterans has exceeded those who have served and the customer service has declined.

Military folks/veterans should be a select clientele of a specific financial institution without non-military and non-veterans diluting the purpose of the mission of the institution.

As a combat vet, I have mixed feelings towards USAA. For decades, it was only for commissioned, and later, warrant officers. They finally opened up membership to enlisted folks not so many years ago.

As Konrad notes, they allowed ex-spouses, children, step-children, grandchildren and further direct descendants [non-service], to join as long as there was no break in membership back to the original military veteran member. Now the number of non-military/non-veterans has exceeded those who have served and the customer service has declined.

Military folks/veterans should be a select clientele of a specific financial institution without non-military and non-veterans diluting the purpose of the mission of the institution.

It's virtually impossible for there to be more actual service members then dendants that are members of USAA or Navy Federal unless you nueter the service members. People eventually marry and have families. Pretty absurd if the military member can't get their spouse or offspring to join. Family members enjoy a lot of military benefits through their family member. CU membership should be no different. Besides, every CU works the same way. It's the nature of the beast.