Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

US Bank

The last post in this topic was posted 1113 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I do not live in the US Bank area but I was told I can open a checking account over the phone.

I was wondering if anyone know if they were chexsystems or EWS inquiry sensitive? I do not have anything negative on either one

I am not sure that they are sensitive at all. US Bank seems to run chexsystems and be 2nd chance friendly in branches. However, an online application yielded an EWS inquiry and NO chexsystems inquiry for me. I can only guess what they would do via phone. However, I tend to like this bank because they are easy to get along with, do not (yet) do account sweeps, multiple debit card options and hundreds of branches throughout the whole united states. Its a good pick.

The reported experiences say to go into the branch. If you have no recent Chex negatives - and a clear EWS, you should be okay. They have been known to approve if Chex entries are over 2 years old. My son in Ohio was able to open an account recently. His Chex info is almost four years old.

Edited by tmcgill

My own experience from years ago: I opened a U.S. Bank checking account online. I thought all was cool but they closed it a week later. When I ask them why, they wouldn't tell me. After several calls I was told I had to apply in a branch. I did that a short time later and they opened the account and it stayed opened. They also opened a credit card, that was automatically approved at the same time.

My suggestion, if at all possible, apply at a branch when you are traveling by one.

The reported experiences say to go into the branch. If you have no recent Chex negatives - and a clear EWS, you should be okay. They have been known to approve if Chex entries are over 2 years old. My son in Ohio was able to open an account recently. His Chex info is almost four years old.

Good deal for your son! :)

I was wondering something about when a negative checking or savings account becomes obsolete and uncollectable, for instance, one that would go on Chex and maybe EWS, but have since fallen off. If one were to try again with that bank, would they be able to legally offset the negative amount after the account is gone from Chex/EWS? And if so, for how long? Thanks for your great work!

The Chexsystems reporting period - and the legal Right of Offset are separate.

If you were able to bypass an internal black list, the Right of Offset has limitations, contingent on the type of debt, and applicable state and federal laws. Most banks and credit unions keep a list of individuals who owe them, or whose accounts they closed.

I had a previous charged off account at Compass Bank (now BBVA) from 12 years ago. I paid the account within 60 days, but this kept me from getting the BBVA prepaid card two years ago. If I planned on banking where I owed money, I would settle the previous debt.

From the US Office of the Comptroller:

www.helpwithmybank.gov/get-answers/bank-accounts/right-of-offset/faq-bank-accounts-right-of-offset-01.html

Edited by tmcgill

The last post in this topic was posted 1113 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.