Sign in to follow this  
pronto

Need advice on chancing 5/24

My card status is something like 8/24 (in terms of Chase's rule) and I was planning to garden until the end of the year when it will be down to 3/24.

Now, since I've put around $10K business expenses on my Amazon Prime card in the last month, I emailed Chase and asked if they could make an exception to the rule and approve me for a Chase Ink Preferred (saying I want to separate personal and business expenses).

It got forwarded to the "appropriate department" but still their response was kind of generic....how do you interpret this...should I go ahead and chance an application?:

Dear xxx:

The approval of an application request is determined by
reviewing an applicant?s credit history, Gross Annual
Income, and other information. Because this review is an
important part of our credit granting process, we are
unable to determine if the application will be approved
prior to the processing of the application. However, we
invite you to complete and return your application for
processing.

New applications are available on-line at our secured
website. Please visit our website referenced below for
the most current offers and terms available:

http://www.creditcards.chase.com

You would need to apply for a specific product before we
would be able to review your application. Please be
advised that it may take up to 30 days to complete the
review. Upon completion of the review process, we will
advise you accordingly.

It's just an inquiry.

But 5/24 is pretty firm... Though not airtight.

You probably have a better chance in branch if you do try it.

They can't discourage you from applying even if they know you will be denied. You have a shot but it's a slim one and try in branch only.

Your best chance is to see if you have any preapprovals in branch or if you have the new Chase login (personal is new, business is not), check if you have any offers.

OP, I was recently approved for a Chase United Visa Siggie. I am way past the 5/24 rule. I actually have more like 21/24 with 35 inquiries (I had a crazy app spree). Anyway, it was auto declined but I called the recon number and the analyst approved the card after a couple of quick questions. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP, I was recently approved for a Chase United Visa Siggie. I am way past the 5/24 rule. I actually have more like 21/24 with 35 inquiries (I had a crazy app spree). Anyway, it was auto declined but I called the recon number and the analyst approved the card after a couple of quick questions. YMMV

That is a co-branded card not a core Chase card. 5/24 doesn't apply to these cards.

It does apply to United cards generally, but they may have different override policies for them that aren't well understood.

It does apply to United cards generally, but they may have different override policies for them that aren't well understood.

Maybe United knew they were going to have a PR mess that would make Pepsi look good and was trying to get any good will they could prior (to making it worse themselves with their press releases) :)

That is a co-branded card not a core Chase card. 5/24 doesn't apply to these cards.

The rule does apply to this card. That was the reason for the auto decline. I understand the co-branded hotel cards are the main cards not under 5/24. The analyst told me it was mainly their non-branded and airline cards that fall under the rule.

5/24 does apply to the United cards.

The only chance of an approval is if you have a preapproved offer on your login or in-branch.

The only chance of an approval is if you have a preapproved offer on your login or in-branch.

Yeah I just learned that based on the posts prior to yours, but per above recon may work as well.

Edited by tiggerlgh

Yeah I just learned that based on the posts prior to yours, but per above recon may work as well.

Recon isn't going to work if denied for this reason.

You need the preapproved offer either in-branch or online.

I was just going off of what Readytorecover posted. They were auto declined for 5/24 and then approved when called in - to me that is a recon.

Edited by tiggerlgh

I was just going off of what Readytorecover posted. They were auto declined for 5/24 and then approved when called in - to me that is a recon.

But there was probably a preapproval somewhere in the system.

Thank you all for your input. It helps me tame my impatience. I do need to practice my patience and garden longer, which I always have a problem with. I will fall below 5/24 in December so I should probably not waste any more HP and rather wait. Hopefully the bonus offers remain good.

But there was probably a preapproval somewhere in the system.

Black...

It worked for me. ☺

It worked for me. ☺

Oh, and I applied on the Chase website.

It worked for me. ☺

Did they also find a preapproval on your account?

How did you overcome 5/24?

It worked for me. ☺

It worked for me. ☺

Oh, and I applied on the Chase website.

Also, I wasn't targeted nor did I apply in branch. I applied at Chase's website.