Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Credit Limit Slashed After PIF - USAA

The last post in this topic was posted 1276 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Kat not sure if you were asking me why I pay 3-4 times per month. If so - no real reason to be honest. If the money is in the bank and charges appear I just pay it. I am pretty anal. I have all my cycle dates written down but I'm sure some of you do as well.

Thanks everyone for all your input on a thread that wasn't mine :)

Follow-up: I contacted the executive office, and they stood by the original decision. So I closed both my AmEx and my savings account at USAA.

Good for you. Sometimes spite closures are in order.

Yes. I'd imagine USAA is still in agony over losing that $100 savings account. ;)

Sure, CLDs suck. And from a psychological point of view they are probably even worse that being balance chased, but, from a practical point of view, the CLD was completely warranted. Take it as a learning opportunity.

Follow-up: I contacted the executive office, and they stood by the original decision. So I closed both my AmEx and my savings account at USAA.

Yes. I'd imagine USAA is still in agony over losing that $100 savings account. ;)

Sure, CLDs suck. And from a psychological point of view they are probably even worse that being balance chased, but, from a practical point of view, the CLD was completely warranted. Take it as a learning opportunity.

Warranted, yeah. On hell yeah. I was just supporting the "idea" of an Freedom Unlimited closure.

Warranted, yeah. On hell yeah. I was just supporting the "idea" of an Freedom Unlimited closure.

Of course. When an issuer makes their "business decision," nothing wrong with a customer also making a "consumer decision" that dings the issuer. Believe me, I love tit-4-tat. :)

Of course. When an issuer makes their "business decision," nothing wrong with a customer also making a "consumer decision" that dings the issuer. Believe me, I love tit-4-tat. :)
If you want to stick it to the issuer, pull out your savings but leave the no AF CC open with absolute minimal usage.

No need to close no-AF CC's. Hell, I leave open a Victoria's Secret CC.

Edited by Konrad2012

If you want to stick it to the issuer, pull out your savings but leave the no AF CC open with absolute minimal usage.

No need to close no-AF CC's. Hell, I leave open a Victoria's Secret CC.

I'd also think long and hard before closing a no AF CC. Besides, that $500 USAA plastic could be a $15,000 piece of p,as tic again in 1/2 year or so.

I can completely understand the need for vengeance. But it wasn't obtained by closing the accounts. I would have found a $0.99 iTunes track every month and put it on the USAA card. In the end it would be free because $1 or under and they wave it on your monthly statement.

BillPay. Make a bunch of $1 billpay payments each month. Free to you, but the bank pays for each transaction. Have fun with CSR calls. There are a dozen ways you can remain a customer yet cost them money & aggravation each month. WTF let them off light by closing a no AF CC and a $100 savings account?

I checked my USAA account and my credit card is still open with the same limit. It's a sockdrawer card, that I use every few months and immediately pay it, to keep it active.

I joined USAA as a limited member when they used to have open membership. I have about $2,000 total in a checking and savings account and a $8,000 credit card line. I've read that they may no longer be issuing credit cards to their limited members, so if you close it you may not be able to reopen it.

I do feel they should consider all their customers equally as important, even the ones (like me) that joined when anybody could join. I'll continue to be a customer even if they do decrease my credit line. It doesn't really hurt me. I'll stick around for as long as they don't kick me out, or I kick the bucket, whichever comes first.

I do feel they should consider all their customers equally as important, even the ones (like me) that joined when anybody could join. I'll continue to be a customer even if they do decrease my credit line. It doesn't really hurt me. I'll stick around for as long as they don't kick me out, or I kick the bucket, whichever comes first.

They definitely should.

But just like you, I wouldn't completely terminate the relationship over credit hiccups.

USAA beats everyone in my area for insurance, but I've seen them do some stuff with credit, to people who were full members for years and years. Don't want their credit or banking products. They waste a lot of advertising on me, but they treated my Mom like dirt after Daddy died and she needed to buy a car. I was helping her answer the questions - they were rapid-fire, and Mom didn't even know what they were asking. I think they had figured it for a straw purchase or something.

I'm a full member - former dependent - and I've had CSRs get so smart with me that I hung up on them.

USAA beats everyone in my area for insurance, but I've seen them do some stuff with credit, to people who were full members for years and years. Don't want their credit or banking products. They waste a lot of advertising on me, but they treated my Mom like dirt after Daddy died and she needed to buy a car. I was helping her answer the questions - they were rapid-fire, and Mom didn't even know what they were asking. I think they had figured it for a straw purchase or something.

I'm a full member - former dependent - and I've had CSRs get so smart with me that I hung up on them.

Wow! I've never had that experience. They have been great with me.

No reason for you to tolerate that type of treatment. I'd have been mighty upset in that scenario.

No reason for you to tolerate that type of treatment. I'd have been mighty upset in that scenario.

I was furious.

I was furious.

Mom, learn from me. Don't get mad, get even. :)

Hopefully noone minds my USAA bashing here. I was with them for around 20 years, they've gone downhill bad in the last few years. Screwed up our auto insurance 3 times over the last year, major screw ups. I had a checking, savings, auto & homeowners with them. Closed my secured CC last year because they were unwilling to graduate it or give me a regular cc, after over 18 months.

In mid-April I apped with them for a CC, just to give them a chance, they failed instantly! It was an instant decision, like 5 seconds. I did write them a message online telling them to look into that instant decision, they maintained it. Once I heard their answer I apped like crazy. I ended up with a HUGE NFCU CC, NFCU CLOC, Best Buy CC, and a wal-mart CC. As soon as I got the answer from NFCU on the CC & I began my move away from USAA like they were on fire. I made sure to tell every arm of their business while cancelling exactly why I was leaving. I don't know what their problem is. I guess since I'm a little ol' retired Enlisted guy I don't matter. Good riddance! I couldn't be happier with NFCU!

Hopefully noone minds my USAA bashing here. I was with them for around 20 years, they've gone downhill bad in the last few years. Screwed up our auto insurance 3 times over the last year, major screw ups. I had a checking, savings, auto & homeowners with them. Closed my secured CC last year because they were unwilling to graduate it or give me a regular cc, after over 18 months.

In mid-April I apped with them for a CC, just to give them a chance, they failed instantly! It was an instant decision, like 5 seconds. I did write them a message online telling them to look into that instant decision, they maintained it. Once I heard their answer I apped like crazy. I ended up with a HUGE NFCU CC, NFCU CLOC, Best Buy CC, and a wal-mart CC. As soon as I got the answer from NFCU on the CC & I began my move away from USAA like they were on fire. I made sure to tell every arm of their business while cancelling exactly why I was leaving. I don't know what their problem is. I guess since I'm a little ol' retired Enlisted guy I don't matter. Good riddance! I couldn't be happier with NFCU!

How were your credit reports at that time?

Is there any better way to get back at a bank than opening up a stable of useless credit accounts from their competitors?

Is there any better way to get back at a bank than opening up a stable of useless credit accounts from their competitors?

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. He has a Navy Federal card, too.

A spite closure should be part of anyone's playbook.

You have to be able to draw a line for yourself; at some point your sanity is more valuable than rewards.

You have to be able to draw a line for yourself; at some point your sanity is more valuable than rewards.

No need for spite closure on a no-AF CC from USAA. You could keep that account open for eternity by using it a couple times a year to buy a beer or a $1 Amazon gift card.

Agreed! It's a matter of taking a stand for yourself as well as others in your financial wheelhouse. I can only take so much.

The only card I had with them was secured and it had an annual fee so no-brainer there.

I've yet to close my checking account but that's coming.

2 years ago my phone number was illegally ported to a pay as you go phone on t-mobile and they went straight to USAA to cause damage. USAA could not have handled it worse. As the victim I was treated as the offender, for literally years after. The only reason I stayed was lack of financial options and insurance premiums. My finances are good now so I can take the premiums hit. There's a ton of particulars to my decision but I think the point is made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. He has a Navy Federal card, too.

I've never understood the point of those kinds of posts. There's nothing useful at all in them. It's quite sad actually.

Mid 600's with a dismissed BK in 2014. 2 vehicle loans last year, a low limit cap one cc, and a NFCU secured for about 18 months.

No need for spite closure on a no-AF CC from USAA.

I'd rather feel great about managing my average credit line (assuming the spite closure is in response to something like a CLD, etc...).

I like to keep the average as high as I can.

Edited by ubercat

Mid 600's with a dismissed BK in 2014. 2 vehicle loans last year, a low limit cap one cc, and a NFCU secured for about 18 months.

USAA is a strange beast. I've never had any really negative service issues with USAA, much less dealing with the insurance side.

Looking at your credit experience and your profile, I can see where they wouldn't unsecured your card. When you think about it, 75% of lenders out there wouldn't touch a similar profile. Many think USAA is liberal with credit because it's a military "club" and that is simply not true. They are conservative.

I understand getting upset with them. I understand that revenge is sweet. However, in this case I would have taken a breather and handled it differently. Personally, I would have maintained the card and, at the same time, work on my credit profile. Once you can get those scores up (by solving the underlying problems) and getting the BK off your reports, then I'd app USAA. When you are clean, USAA can be pretty good for you.

If you have issues again on the banking side, shoot me a PM. I can give you a contact who can give you a hand.

The last post in this topic was posted 1276 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.