Sign in to follow this  
ubercat

Barclay's Claw-Back in 2017?

Barclays Claw-Back?  

493 members have voted

1. 1. Has Barclays Lowered Your Credit Limit In 2017?

• Yes. On average I do not carry a balance.
    • Yes. On average I carry a balance.
    • No. On average I do not carry a balance.
    • No. On average I carry a balance.
  2. 2. Have Applied For A Barclay's Credit Card in 2017?

• Yes. I was approved with an average FICO over 720.
    • Yes. I was approved with an average FICO under 720.
    • Yes. I was declined with an average FICO over 720.
    • Yes. I was declined with an average FICO under 720.
    • No. I have not applied for a Barclay's credit card in 2017.

Update:

On Aug 17 I was CLD'd by Barclays (see my posts on this page).

Last week I called and asked about refunding my annual fee for my Aviator card, which they happily did.

Then I asked about CLIs, and got $3000 on my Aviator, $3000 on my Arrival, $0 on my Cash Forward. Soft pulls.

So, of the $14,000 in credit that they clawed back in August, $6,000 has now been reissued to me.

I've been spending about $500 on each of the three cards each month.

Take-home message. If you've been Credit Limit Decreased, just chill out, keep spending on the cards, then they'll likely give it back.

MP

Glad your common sense and patience paid off. Barclays does have their quirks and knowing that encourages me to be a little careful with them and, actually, nothing wrong with that.

I have learned through experience that they are a bit more relaxed the longer your history is with them.

I have learned through experience that they (Barclays) are a bit more relaxed the longer your history is with them.

All us "Junami" vets should be sitting pretty, huh? :grin:

Also, as a datapoint, when they cut the credit lines I had one card reporting at about 52% utilization, one at 42% utilization.

When they increased the credit lines, both were reporting at about 36% utilization.

(The utilization on the Arrival went from 42 to 52 when they swiped part of the credit line to open a Cash Forward card.)

(And, over the last couple months I would dutifully run the CF up to $600 utilization of the $900 limit, pay it back to $300 immediately, then again to $0 before the statement cuts. I was surprised they didn't give me a CLI on that one. But it is only 6-1/2 months old, so might not have hit some threshold yet, like "6 statements" or something...)

MP

I have learned through experience that they (Barclays) are a bit more relaxed the longer your history is with them.

All us "Junami" vets should be sitting pretty, huh? :grin:

Hopefully.

I escaped Junami. :)

I was approved for a Barclays Ring MC with a $15k limit, and immediately did a balance transfer for $12k. Opened the card in 9/2017, no reduction in credit limit with multiple months of on-time payments. This is my first and only Barclays card in my name, but am also an A.U. on another Barclays card which has 0% utilization each month.

Barclay's "claw" is definitely not being extended in my direction, even with "provocation".

I pulled a snafu in making a $2k+ payment on my Aviator card earlier this month ... and managed to have the payment returned "unpaid". Went through on re-presentment. So, what do I do for my "follow-up" act? I notice it's been over 12 mo since my last CLI, so ask online for an increase $28.5k -> $34.5k.

Approved, with "hard" pull.

(FWIW, $25k spend on this card last year to qualify for a 3k EQM boost on my Aadvantage account, renewing my Exec Platinum airline tier status.)

We clawed it forward with Barclaycard this week when we told them how awful their Full FecalTM Arrival+ card is by closing it six months after opening it.

We clawed it forward with Barclaycard this week when we told them how awful their Full FecalTM Arrival+ card is by closing it six months after opening it.

But did you move the CL to another product before the kiss-off?

But did you move the CL to another product before the kiss-off?

No. This was my spouse's... no other Barclaycard products.

Bye Felicia.

I got denied for the Barclays Uber Card w/ a 713 TU score, and ~15% total utilization. Some of my accounts are relatively new - approx six months old, and I had some lates on my oldest open account. Nothing very recent though.

Called for recon, got a $1000 limit, not great, but better than nothing. I feel like it took every ounce of sweet talk I could muster to get what I got. They put me on hold a couple of times, and asked a few questions. When they finally agreed to issue me an account, it sounded almost like a reluctant "okay, what we can do is this..."

They wanted to know:

- Why the lates on the older account, I explained why - told them what I've done to ensure it won't happen again

- Why so many accounts (three) opened in past six months or so - explained I'm trying to build credit, would have held off a bit longer if I knew the Uber card was coming ahead of time

- Used that lead-in to explain exactly what I'll use the card for - dining, Uber, streaming services, cell bill, emphasized the card's benefits seem tailored to my needs

So with Barclays, is it absolutely essential to never carry a balance, ever? Sometimes I'll pay like $250 exact if the balance is like $258.21 or whatever. The $1000 limit should be sufficient for what I'd use it for, but getting an unexpected decrease would make things tight/inconvenient each cycle.

I feel like Barclays is probably not very liberal with issuing CLIs. Any advice on when (if) I should ask?

I got denied for the Barclays Uber Card w/ a 713 TU score, and ~15% total utilization. Some of my accounts are relatively new - approx six months old, and I had some lates on my oldest open account. Nothing very recent though.

Called for recon, got a $1000 limit, not great, but better than nothing. I feel like it took every ounce of sweet talk I could muster to get what I got. They put me on hold a couple of times, and asked a few questions. When they finally agreed to issue me an account, it sounded almost like a reluctant "okay, what we can do is this..."

They wanted to know:

- Why the lates on the older account, I explained why - told them what I've done to ensure it won't happen again

- Why so many accounts (three) opened in past six months or so - explained I'm trying to build credit, would have held off a bit longer if I knew the Uber card was coming ahead of time

- Used that lead-in to explain exactly what I'll use the card for - dining, Uber, streaming services, cell bill, emphasized the card's benefits seem tailored to my needs

So with Barclays, is it absolutely essential to never carry a balance, ever? Sometimes I'll pay like $250 exact if the balance is like $258.21 or whatever. The $1000 limit should be sufficient for what I'd use it for, but getting an unexpected decrease would make things tight/inconvenient each cycle.

I feel like Barclays is probably not very liberal with issuing CLIs. Any advice on when (if) I should ask?

congrats!!!! recom with barclays is always worth a shot.

FWIW, barclays has been very liberal with me. PIF is preferred by many issuers and your own long term financial strength :)

They wanted to know:

congrats!!!! recom with barclays is always worth a shot.

FWIW, barclays has been very liberal with me. PIF is preferred by many issuers and your own long term financial strength :)

Thanks! I'm still learning how to maximize/perfect my payment timing/method in order to maximize FICO and minimize interest paid. Typically I try to almost PIF a couple of days before the statement cuts, then pay the balance off once the statement cuts. Read somewhere, probably here, that I don't want $0 balances reporting, as it's not optimal.

So if my statement cuts on the 16th, and I have a balance of $820 on the 14th, I'll pay $800 on the 14th, and $20 on the 17th or 18th.

As far as Barclays goes - should I wait maybe six months?

My only non-secured cc is the NFL Barclaycard. I use to read a lot of negative posts about AA over at MF but I continued reading and decided to apply. I am a rebuilder with a short credit history so I was approved over a year ago for $500 cl. In June I was approved with a hard pull for a cli of $500. Last month I was approved with a sp for $500 ($1500 total ci). I have not app'd for another cc so the only inquires I have are with Barclay's and an approved small used car loan. I never charge over 30% of my credit limit and always PIF. I want to build positive credit history with Barclay's and in a year or two from now when all my reports are clean, I'll look at a card from maybe Chase, etc. For now, I'm in the garden with Barclay's and intend to not ruffle Barclay's feathers.