Barclay just told me they would NEVER give me a CLI

The last post in this topic was posted 1473 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

BarclayCard just told me they would NEVER give me a CLI... only they said it, "We notice quite a few new accounts in the past year. If you take a break from opening so many new accounts and so aggressively seeking credit we'll gladly reconsider your CLI."

​Yea... I don't think that's going to happen. Winding up my latest required spend and have the next 3 apps planned out...

(For the stat seekers: 766 Transunion, ~$270k revolving ($30k AmEx is my largest), 3% Util, 1.2 AAOA, 30 accounts, 21 INQ, 2 Barclay accounts: Wyndham ($2400) and Arrival+ ($2650)

Edited by mfarmer

BarclayCard just told me they would NEVER give me a CLI... only they said it, "We notice quite a few new accounts in the past year. If you take a break from opening so many new accounts and so aggressively seeking credit we'll gladly reconsider your CLI."

​Yea... I don't think that's going to happen. Winding up my latest required spend and have the next 3 apps planned out...

(For the stat seekers: 766 Transunion, ~$270k revolving ($30k AmEx is my largest), 3% Util, 1.2 AAOA, 30 accounts, 21 INQ, 2 Barclay accounts: Wyndham ($2400) and Arrival+ ($2650)

What are your next three planned apps?

I have a lot of new accounts opened last year too. But my AAOA is 4+ years and scores below 720 on EX and TU.

Could be your low AAOA is the reason?

I love stats :wub:

Oh my... and I didn't even include my MOST impressive stats... (raises eyebrows)

What are your next three planned apps?

I have a lot of new accounts opened last year too. But my AAOA is 4+ years and scores below 720 on EX and TU.

Could be your low AAOA is the reason?

AmEx SPG, AmEx Hilton Surpass, then start in on biz cards or possibly Ameriprise Plat...

AAOA? Possibly... but Barclay's is known conservative re: Inq. and aggressive credit seeking, even w/good stats so... dunno. And don't care too much - it'd be nice to have flexibility while I'm working for this required spend, but that's fine, I'll just make multiple payments a month

Edited by mfarmer

Apparently, Inquiries do matter to Barclay's.

Inquiries mean exactly the opposite from shinola.

New accounts are the issue. And if your profile is on point then even that only matters when applying.

Exactly. I don't know how you could possibly read the first post and decide it was "too many inquiries."

New accounts are the issue. And if your profile is on point then even that only matters when applying.

Exactly. I don't know how you could possibly read the first post and decide it was "too many inquiries."

The '5' in Chase's 5/24 rule isn't about inquiries either.

If you had actually read the thread, you would see that your assumption is incorrect.

If you had actually read the thread, you would see that your assumption is incorrect.

I love this place a little more each day :)

Over the last few months Barclays has clearly been clawing back what I can only assume they perceive as 'loose' extension of credit.

But they really haven't.

The "bad" cases (CLD, total closure, etc) you read about here, MF and other credit sites are outliers the same as the odd 50K+ limit, or stupidly low APR you read about on "good" cases.

Barclay CLD -$500 from my Arrival card a few months ago. from $7500 to $7000. I can't remember what the stated reason was. Scores range from low to mid 700s. I have a lot of new accounts and an 8 year old BK. No baddies.

Barclay CLD -$500 from my Arrival card a few months ago. from $7500 to $7000. I can't remember what the stated reason was. Scores range from low to mid 700s. I have a lot of new accounts and an 8 year old BK. No baddies.

Wow... Why would any bank CLD such a tiny amount? I mean, what's the point of that... unless being balance chased (maybe).

When did a BK become a positive factor on a credit report?

Not sure but Capital One seems to be cashing in on the "better behave for 7 years" crowd.

Not sure but Capital One seems to be cashing in on the "better behave for 7 years" crowd.

They have you by the nads if you screw it up.

Really??

I meant to write no other baddies. I guess we're all lucky to have you around to serve as the forum proof reader :)

Really??

I meant to write no other baddies. I guess we're all lucky to have you around to serve as the forum proof reader :)

If I was proofreading I would have recommended improvements to your sentence structure. I would have also pointed out that the card issuer's name is "Barclaycard," those dollar amounts need commas, there are multiple missing hyphens, etc.

Really??

If I was proofreading I would have recommended improvements to your sentence structure. I would have also pointed out that the card issuer's name is "Barclaycard," those dollar amounts need commas, there are multiple missing hyphens, etc.

You're tougher than my college professors. Thanks for the insight.

Over the last few months Barclays has clearly been clawing back what I can only assume they perceive as 'loose' extension of credit.

But they really haven't.

The "bad" cases (CLD, total closure, etc) you read about here, MF and other credit sites are outliers the same as the odd 50K+ limit, or stupidly low APR you read about on "good" cases.

I have near perfect credit, and I was clawed back (CLD) across the board. I closed three cards because of it. The only thing that could be perceived as a detriment to my credit is AAOA and a slew of new accounts over almost three years.

...in their defense, I think maybe they're concerned about break-out (in my case).

Edited by ubercat

It was said before, but I'm not sure if it's true, that Barclays, as a British firm, is far more conservative than those rebellious, foot-loose and fancy-free 'Mericuns, especially with their credit. I, certainly, have found this to be true and have never gotten anything like a AmEx 3x CLI even after more than a year with Barclays. What's the highest CL anyone's seen around here with a personal Barclay account?

The last post in this topic was posted 1473 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.