Sign in to follow this  
flgrl75

Landlord Collection

I recently applied for a home to rent and was turned down due to a a "Landlord Collection" that I didn't realize I still had on my report. This is from 2012, I had rented an apartment and they were trying to say I lied on my application. My 18yr old son had come for a weekend visit and they assumed he was staying in a one bedroom apartment with me and proceeded to tell me I needed to leave or I'd be evicted. I fought with them and finally decided to leave because I was fearful over future issues with them since they did this to me. At the last minute they told me I can stay and tried kissing my butt...as I had called corporate at first since I was very upset.

At any rate, I seem to have a collections on there for in the amount of $404 I have no clue what this odd amount is even for. This is really frustrating to me, what steps can I take to get this off my record? I have tried a simple dispute saying it doesn't belong to me....I've yet to hear back from Equifax yet and that seems to be the only report it's on.

Any suggestions to lead me in the right direction? I'm so frustrated as this hasn't been an issue before.

Thanx!

I recently applied for a home to rent and was turned down due to a a "Landlord Collection" that I didn't realize I still had on my report. This is from 2012, I had rented an apartment and they were trying to say I lied on my application. My 18yr old son had come for a weekend visit and they assumed he was staying in a one bedroom apartment with me and proceeded to tell me I needed to leave or I'd be evicted. I fought with them and finally decided to leave because I was fearful over future issues with them since they did this to me. At the last minute they told me I can stay and tried kissing my butt...as I had called corporate at first since I was very upset.

At any rate, I seem to have a collections on there for in the amount of $404 I have no clue what this odd amount is even for. This is really frustrating to me, what steps can I take to get this off my record? I have tried a simple dispute saying it doesn't belong to me....I've yet to hear back from Equifax yet and that seems to be the only report it's on.

Any suggestions to lead me in the right direction? I'm so frustrated as this hasn't been an issue before.

Thanx!

Going back and forth with CA and dispute process with CRA is frustrating and time consuming.

IMHO (totally up to you though to go the same route) I have a Personal experience with a Landlord corporate company in California and I took them to small claim court and I Won. The judge will ask If you have any proof of what your claiming or pretty much your version of the story vs. their version of the story and if you can proof that your not at Fault you will win .. I'd go to the small claim court because its cheaper ($25 or something) and faster and if you won the judgement order against the landlord it will force them to delete this account in its entirety.

Good luck

sent from encrypted device

My only issue with that is that I've moved to Texas and this is in Florida so I don't see that being possible, at the time.

Great idea though, it's an option I'd jump on if I was able to do so. :)

Thanx for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only issue with that is that I've moved to Texas and this is in Florida so I don't see that being possible, at the time.

Great idea though, it's an option I'd jump on if I was able to do so. :)

Thanx for the input.

I'm not Not sure about the multi-states (but research it) because when i did mine i remember reading in small claim court you can file a claim where you reside currently EVEN if you moved. Ask or PM the CB member @ICANHASMUNY he's really knowledgable in state(s) law and he will tell you if its doable or Not.

Good luck in whichever route you decide to go :)

sent from encrypted device

Thank you so much Mido! Your help has been greatly appreciated! :)

When did you dispute the collection with CRA? How did you dispute it? By mail, online? Also, have you had ANY correspondence with the landlord? Did they send you a letter at any point outlining the amount you owe? For that matter, how did you exit the apartment? Did you receive your security deposit back after your walk through?

Folks can offer help with a little more information from you.

When did you dispute the collection with CRA? How did you dispute it? By mail, online? Also, have you had ANY correspondence with the landlord? Did they send you a letter at any point outlining the amount you owe? For that matter, how did you exit the apartment? Did you receive your security deposit back after your walk through?

Folks can offer help with a little more information from you.

I just disputed it online when I found out it was on there only after being denied a lease on a home. The leasing company says nothing bad for 5ys prior. This collection is 5 years this November.

If my memory serves me right it was a no deposit move in special. So I did not get my deposit back. I had just paid rent I do recall that so this happened probably the second week into the month. I recall signing a paper to get out of the lease, as they said they'd let me out free and clear. ( This before corporate got involved telling them they needed proof that my son was there longer than the weekend).

I also don't recall getting anything from the apartment complex thereafter. I'm sure the online disputed won't work, but I figured since it's older I'd give it a shot.

I did in fact do a walk through, I'd only been there approx 5weeks so everything was in tip top shape. I'm not one to trash a home and I leave things in move in condition. So I really have no idea where this amount comes from, especially considering they were in the wrong I'm surprised they are trying to get something from me to begin with.