Sign in to follow this  
sable

Go secured or wait

Hello all. So, I've been debating on whether or not to go with a CITI secured card... or wait until my reports are cleaned up. I currently have between 5 to 7 negitive TL's on all 3 reports (all 6 years old). I have student loans with lates, but perfect history for the last 3 years, and an auto loan that's 3 years old with perfect history. I've gotten some good advice, and plan on going the NFCU route once my scores get a little higher and cleaner for a high limit card. I'm going slow on disputing, but have had success deleting all colections, and all but 1 judgement in the last 3 months. The only issue is... I have no CC's reporting on my report. I recently applied for Barclay's and the recon rep stated that this was the biggest issue with approving me. I realize that I need to get some CC's positively reporting asap, but do I wait until I can go strictly unsecured cards with decent limits, or do I start out with a 2k CITI secured to get this positive reporting TL's party started?

Thanks!

I'd get started now. I'd also get a NFCU card now.

Thanks. I'm waiting after some disputes process through to see if I can go with an unsecured NFCU card with a higher limit after scores improve. I just figured that going with at least 1 secured from a prime issuer with a 2k limit couldn't hurt. Would going with a secured card hurt my chances of getting an unsecured with a higher limit with CITI? An unsecured with a secured from the same lender?

Thanks, but I have a CO from Cap One still on my reports that's around 6 years old. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't approve me.

Thanks, but I have a CO from Cap One still on my reports that's around 6 years old. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't approve me.

You'd be surprised!

I think CapOne is one of the most forgiving banks in the world. I think you can BK and they will still give you a card. That market was their bread and butter for years and years.

Is the link posted for the pre selector site for a soft pull pre select, or HP? Also, if I've opted out with all 3, will that pre select work?

I'm opted out and the preselect sites don't work for me. So they might not work for you in that situation.

That site should be a soft pull.

"See if you're pre-qualified for a credit card offer with no risk to your credit score."

Edited by Tyra

You'd be surprised!

+1

I IIB'd Cap One for around 10k across 3 cards, and the gave me a car loan at 3 years post-BK, and $2k of CC limits at 4 years out (I'd never asked for either before that). Now I'm sitting at 6 years out of BK, and I have $27.5k of CC CLs with 'em...only because I don't really want any new accounts.

Give 'em a shot. It's a soft pull. Hit the other prequal pages while you're at it.

The link posted is not working for me on safari.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cap1 approved me while i had a judgement from them and they were gearing up to garnish my wages(unknown to me). I would app them whether i was preapproved or not. I think citi has a 18 month graduation period so thats a long time to have your money tied up and i would imagine you would be able to get things cleaned up and get an unsecured card from them quicker than 18 months. What is your fico?

Edited by FormerAnalyst

cap1 approved me while i had a judgement from them and they were gearing up to garnish my wages(unknown to me). I would app them whether i was preapproved or not. I think citi has a 18 month graduation period so thats a long time to have your money tied up and i would imagine you would be able to get things cleaned up and get an unsecured card from them quicker than 18 months.
Thanks. We're there any adverse effects after you obtained the card? ( CL lowering, closing account) I also don't want to be stuck with a very low limit card either.

cap1 approved me while i had a judgement from them and they were gearing up to garnish my wages(unknown to me). I would app them whether i was preapproved or not. I think citi has a 18 month graduation period so thats a long time to have your money tied up and i would imagine you would be able to get things cleaned up and get an unsecured card from them quicker than 18 months.
Thanks. We're there any adverse effects after you obtained the card? ( CL lowering, closing account) I also don't want to be stuck with a very low limit card either.

Besides them probably using my app info, after they approved me, to figure out where i work and garnish my wages? lol, no. After 3 months i requested cli went to 1,500, after 6 months completed the "credit steps" it went to 2k. Its been just under a year now and i pc'd to a regular quicksilver and auto cli to 3k, just got approved for a citi double cash btw for 2k so the cap1 is going in the sock drawer, not just because i have better cash back but i think the tactics they used to collect on the last debt were shady as hell if not illegal but i was against the wall trying to fight a default judgement that i wasnt even living in the state at the time i was "served" or when it was granted, so i just paid it to avoid the embarrassment at work.

You'd be surprised!

+1

There are many people that get Cap1 cards with Cap1 collections on their reports. If you burned them six years ago you still have a good chance.

The people running Cap1 have such short memories I wouldn't be surprised if they have "Remember Sammy Jankis" tattooed on their hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1K6jpNcYGo

Edited by ClaimJumper

I work for Toyota and when I apply to get a car there. The sales guy ran my credit after a few minutes told me that I have no credit and that I need either a co-signer or $3,000 down. I couldn't believe my eyes because I knew I have credit before. When I went online to check my FICO score it show up no credit across all three. So I tried with a different service which is TransUnion and it show up FICO score: TU 4, EQ 620 EX 524. I then proceeded at a different dealership near my home I were approve there and show me my FICO score of 524. I had to down $1,800 and payments of $266.01 for 48 months.

I didn't wait I went ahead and apply for a secured credit card from Capital One. I got approved for a $200 CL. Is there anymore secured credit card that you guy's recommend to apply? I want to build my credit so bad.

I went to the pre approval site and it came back with no options match your info provided. I'm guessing since I'm opted out with all 3, it didn't pull any info. I have a week for disputes to finish with TU and EQ, I'll wait and take my chances with a secured from them I guess?

I went to the pre approval site and it came back with no options match your info provided. I'm guessing since I'm opted out with all 3, it didn't pull any info. I have a week for disputes to finish with TU and EQ, I'll wait and take my chances with a secured from them I guess?

Unsecured I meant.

Unsecured I meant.

If you're at the point where you want to explore options to add new credit, then there's no reason to continue the CRA "opt outs". But, yeah, being opted out is going to preclude you from participating in any pre-screener programs.

From looking at the credit pulls data base, it looks like the QS1 is best for where my scores are.. best chance for a higher limit. The last thing I want is to be stuck with a $300 limit cap one card

I would skip Cap1 and Citi and do this:

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=572446

Yea. I was looking to do this with NFCU and CITI, but I am blacklisted from Chase. I just need to get some positive CCs reporting asap

I would recommend NFCU first and waiting for it to unsecure.

Going slow in the beginning can help you later to avoid toy limits.

I would skip Cap1 and Citi and do this:

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=572446

Yea. I was looking to do this with NFCU and CITI, but I am blacklisted from Chase. I just need to get some positive CCs reporting asap

I would recommend NFCU first and waiting for it to unsecure.

Going slow in the beginning can help you later to avoid toy limits.

I'm definitely going the NFCU route. Just waiting to get cleaned up a bit, because I believe that I am border line score wise for unsecured NFCU right now. I have about a week left for these disputes to conclude with TU and EX, then I'll have another Myfico 3B report ready to pull by the 10th of next month. I want to check my scores then and maybe see if I can get in with unsecure, because from what I read about NFCU if the income and payment history is good, they increase fast and generously.