Sign in to follow this  
deanmartini

USPS Service Gives You A Peek Into Your Mailbox Before You Get Home

The Reader's Digest edition:

On April 14, the Postal Service is set to launch a nationwide service that allows users, in a sense, to peek at their mail before it arrives in their mailbox.
Users will have the option of getting an email with photos of the front of card- and letter-size mail pieces that are due to arrive that day, or a day or two later. The email is sent on days when mail is being processed and delivered. It shows up to 10 grayscale images in each email with a link at the bottom to see the rest.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/03/27/521255204/new-usps-service-gives-you-a-peek-into-your-mailbox-before-you-get-home

Sometimes I am just dying to know if the RedPlum ads arrived on time, before I can actually get to the mailbox.

I started taping the advos to the back of the mailbox. Going to see how long it takes it to fill up.

Wow. Another way for thieves to go through your mail and not even chance being spotted at your mailbox

Really -

but I have to wonder if this has been going on for years ( photographing all the Mail ) and the USPS just decided to make money off it.

think of the millions of dollars they would have to spend on equipment, and get approval on thru the federal budgeting process....

hence if they are offering this service, the equipment is already in place, and big brother already has access to all your mail NOW.

bet it's buried in the Patriot act / DHS budget

Yuppers, learn something new every day... JFC.

Scanning mail is not a new thing. Since the 1990s, the Postal Service has been taking photos of the exterior of most mail pieces to sort and route the mail. In 2013, The New York Times reported that the USPS "occasionally provides the photos to law enforcement agencies that request them as part of criminal cases."

I just signed up as it's available in my area. I had to go through about five identity questions like when you open a bank account online. My SSN wasn't asked for. After going through the process and then going back to the Informed Delivery page on the USPS website (it's kind of hidden), I looked up my mail delivery for yesterday and the day before. Nothing showed, even though I did get a bunch of crap in the mail. Maybe it only takes effect after signing up. I'll check again later.

Edited by Burgerwars

Wow. Another way for thieves to go through your mail and not even chance being spotted at your mailbox

Really -

but I have to wonder if this has been going on for years ( photographing all the Mail ) and the USPS just decided to make money off it.

think of the millions of dollars they would have to spend on equipment, and get approval on thru the federal budgeting process....

hence if they are offering this service, the equipment is already in place, and big brother already has access to all your mail NOW.

bet it's buried in the Patriot act / DHS budget

I read somewhere that while some may not call it photographing of mail, what it does do is an OCR capture of the envelope, print that POSTNET barcode at the bottom of the envelope, and send it to the next sorter which puts the mail into the corr-plas trays we all have seen. By the time the mail gets to your local PO, it's already sorted by route and carrier for the most part. Just have to add local mail to the trays and off the letter carriers go.

I got my first "Informed Delivery Daily Digest" in my email. I haven't checked my mailbox yet, but I received five scanned images. My car registration renewal, my cable bill, an advertisement from Schwab, a statement from BBVA Compass, and a post card from my optometrist should be in my mailbox.

I think this is awesome. I signed up for it about a month ago and every morning around 8am I receive an email with all the scanned images of my mail. It only works for regular envelopes because all the correspondence from my attorney in manila envelopes does not show up and neither did my Discover welcome package with my it card but responses from CRAs come through like a charm. I see this as a useful tool for CBers who are anxious to see if responses from the CRAs are arriving that day.

I had this for about two days then they shut me down. I said that I was getting mail for the previous owners. Next thing I know they shut it off saying that my house is coded wrong and they can't give me the scans anymore because I live in an apartment building. This is news to me...

I had this for about two days then they shut me down. I said that I was getting mail for the previous owners. Next thing I know they shut it off saying that my house is coded wrong and they can't give me the scans anymore because I live in an apartment building. This is news to me...

Everyday I get mail from the previous resident of the house. This house is only 3 years old and I am the second tenant to live here. I take his mail and mark return to sender every week and I still get my informed delivery.