Sign in to follow this  
Shellybean23

Last medical collections won't budge, dead end?

I have a thread I started last year but I decided to go ahead and make a new thread since it's been a while and I have my original questions answered.

I started in the spring of 2016 with 9-12 collections on each of my credit reports, and, after following the whychat method I have zero collections left on my EX report, one non-medical collection on my TU report, and 3 pesky medical collections on my EQ report.

The 3 medical collections on my EQ report is the focus of this thread. These collections look to be copays to clinics/Dr visits from 2010-2011. I followed the whychat process, deleted what old addresses I could, then disputed the collections to EQ. EQ then sent me a verification letter in the mail saying they verified with the CA. HOWEVER on their verification letter they sent me, EQ listed an entirely different name and address for the CA than what they had listed on my online EQ report.

So I had two different names/addresses to send the DV to. Perhaps I should've just sent the DV to the one on the letter I got from EQ but instead I used the name and address on my online EQ report. The DV came back as "undeliverable". I sent EQ a copy of the printout from the post office showing it couldn't be delivered with the address provided to me on my credit report, including a copy of my report with the name and address circled in red. EQ responded only by sending me an identical copy of the verification they had first sent me, while the name and address on my online report remained unchanged.

Following the advice here, I submitted a complaint to the cpfb detailing my efforts at this dispute and EQ's responses. EQ responded to the complaint without really saying much other than I didn't provide any new information for them. I followed up with the complaint but have not heard anything back from EQ and the collections are still there.

So I lost a bit of my steam during the holidays, and was at a loss for what to do at that point. I followed the whychat method and checked in with these boards regularly to make sure I wasn't taking a misstep. So I don't believe I made any mistakes in the process FWIW.

These collections are from 2010-2011, owned by the same CA (although the exact name and address of the CA is dubious). I am wondering if

1.) I could start the dispute process all over again since it's been a year since I had first started it, OR

2.) Send the DV to the name and address listed on the snail mail verification letter I received from EQ(instead of the one listed on my online report). Or is it too late for that?

3.) Just pay the OC with the proper hipaa insert? The 3 collections total just over 100$ so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for me, I just want them off.

Thanks for reading and any thoughts are always appreciated!

LisaTurtle, the date of first delinquency for the oldest is August/2010. I can't remember exactly what the youngest DOFD is but it's not far behind.

Linx04, I'm not exactly sure how to tell the difference by looking at my CR whether it's a JDB or a CA. Any idea how I can tell?

Also, I didn't realize I posted this in the credit forum by mistake. It was meant to be posted in the medical collections board where I first got started a year ago. I still appreciate any feedback here! I'm not sure at the moment the rules on cross posting but will try and move it over there soon.

I have a thread I started last year but I decided to go ahead and make a new thread since it's been a while and I have my original questions answered.

I started in the spring of 2016 with 9-12 collections on each of my credit reports, and, after following the whychat method I have zero collections left on my EX report, one non-medical collection on my TU report, and 3 pesky medical collections on my EQ report.

The 3 medical collections on my EQ report is the focus of this thread. These collections look to be copays to clinics/Dr visits from 2010-2011. I followed the whychat process, deleted what old addresses I could, then disputed the collections to EQ. EQ then sent me a verification letter in the mail saying they verified with the CA. HOWEVER on their verification letter they sent me, EQ listed an entirely different name and address for the CA than what they had listed on my online EQ report.

So I had two different names/addresses to send the DV to. Perhaps I should've just sent the DV to the one on the letter I got from EQ but instead I used the name and address on my online EQ report. The DV came back as "undeliverable". I sent EQ a copy of the printout from the post office showing it couldn't be delivered with the address provided to me on my credit report, including a copy of my report with the name and address circled in red. EQresponded only by sending me an identical copy of the verification they had first sent me, while the name and address on my online report remained unchanged.

Following the advice here, I submitted a complaint to the cpfb detailing my efforts at this dispute and EQ's responses. EQ responded to the complaint without really saying much other than I didn't provide any new information for them. I followed up with the complaint but have not heard anything back from EQ and the collections are still there.

So I lost a bit of my steam during the holidays, and was at a loss for what to do at that point. I followed the whychat method and checked in with these boards regularly to make sure I wasn't taking a misstep. So I don't believe I made any mistakes in the process FWIW.

These collections are from 2010-2011, owned by the same CA (although the exact name and address of the CA is dubious). I am wondering if

1.) I could start the dispute process all over again since it's been a year since I had first started it, OR

2.) Send the DV to the name and address listed on the snail mail verification letter I received from EQ(instead of the one listed on my online report). Or is it too late for that?

3.) Just pay the OC with the proper hipaa insert? The 3 collections total just over 100$ so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for me, I just want them off.

Thanks for reading and any thoughts are always appreciated!

Ok got it, thank you WhyChat! It's been about 5 months since I submitted my complaint to the cfpb, but probably took another 4-6 weeks to wrap up the back and forth between EQ and I regarding the complaint through the cfpb.

I'll opt out again and start the process over. I'll update after that. Thanks again!

Update:

Redisputed the 3 unpaid medical collections with EQ with the WhyChat method, as I had done last year. EQ just concluded their investigationn and deleted 2/3 of the collections off my report. I am now left with only one unpaid med collection on EQ. I have received EQ's verification letter in the mail listing the accounts that have been deleted, and the one account they verified. I have drafted the DV letter from the WhyChat guides and will be sending it to the debt collector CMRR tomorrow. I have also drafted the followup dispute to EQ(CMRR as well) where I will be including a copy of my DV as well as the tracking # with proof of receipt to show it was receive by the debt collector.

WhyChat, I know you are told this all the time but your advise is incredibly invaluable and I know I can speak for others when I say how grateful we are here to have you here helping us to navigate this world. Even though I have this pesky collection hanging on for dear life, I have had many collections deleted using this method.