Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Bay City, MI

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.

Once a British band chose their name by throwing a dart at a map of the USA, and Bay City, MI was the winner.

LOL - thank you for that informative input

camping along the lake north of there is pretty nice !

AuSable river for canoeing, salmon runs in the fall

Scuba drift diving along the Port Huron river south of there is pretty awesome

All I remember of Bay city is the God awful Zillwaukee bridge on 75 that took forever and had part of it taken down and rebuilt, which resulted in sitting at the old drawbridge on a major interstate each time we headed " up north"

Bay city -? never stopped there, sorry :sorry: been just about everywhere else in the state.

Grew up less than hour from there.... What are you wondering.... Every city South is extremely pleasent

They've been posted there for 3 years and no nothing of the area. They're obviously trying to avoid the parts of the city with high crime or drug problems but since they have a very young child need somewhere not too far from everything. They have 2 large dogs and it looks like rentals will be an issue because of that. Midland is sounding quite promising but they're worried about the journey from there to Bay City in the snow.

I'll tell them to investigate south - thanks for the input

Not too many titty bars around those parts. Good eating though IIRC they have a awesome wild game dinner in the Fall along with a great diner that offers the best Muskrat stew around the Midwest

Wait..... You want real advice... Avoid Flint and Saginaw entirely....Clio is a nice area as well as Montrose, parts of bridgeport, Frankenmuth, and most of Bay City

DW wants me to take her to Frankenmuth so she can go see Bronner's. I told her to go herself and leave the credit cards at home.

It's actually worth seeing in the winter... Look up snowfest

DW wants me to take her to Frankenmuth so she can go see Bronner's. I told her to go herself and leave the credit cards at home.

Phillipines beaches are really nice in the winter as well.

Phillipines beaches are really nice in the winter as well.

I'd personally rather go to Australia or New Zealand in (our) winter.

Bay City is pretty nice actually. Lots of very old lumbering and train systems there, the houses can be phenomenally huge. Downside is heating in the winter of course, which is a long long season. Bar strolling is very much in there. Great diners in lots of them. Good culture, fairly safe. Lots of Polish influence, German, the Tall ships are amazing, anything water is amazing, the fishing is amazing. Airline connection is very close. Avoid everything Saginaw, it's absolutely horrid, a rusty remainder of GM. Flint is far worse off than Detroit EVER was. Midland is extremely 1950 conservative, very very tame, very inexpensive housing and lots of culture there too. Home of Dow Chemical, so just saying...it smells of bleach most days.

Lots of trains in Bay City, canals, so time your drives around them, expect to catch a few and be delayed. It has an old heart, Bay City. The bridge of course, super super sucks and will scare the living daylights out of anyone sane. Michigan in the summer will break your damn heart. Do lighthouses, go to the UP. Go to Mackinaw, Traverse City, drive the Lakeshore as a trip, it's excellent and super fun. Roll around in the leaves come fall, go to Tahquamenon falls up North, do Munising and Pictured Rocks, Sleeping Bear Sanddunes, go see Fishtown. Everyone goes beserk in summer with festivals, there's a festival for absolutely everything. Get a motel 8 in walking distance and drink good beer.

Ann Arbor is the cultural elite mecca of Michigan, it's only about an hour south, and if you are Yuppie at all, or Hippie at all,, you will think you died and went to heaven absolutely. U of M football games are THE thing to do in Michigan. Make it a point to see one, and book way way in advance for a ticket. You can save gobs of moola flying out of Detroit Metro airport vs. Tri City which is really close to Bay City. Connect to Chicago O'Hare and the world is your oyster pretty much fare wise.

I'd have no problem living in Bay City. WNEM TV 5 is the local news channel, check them out on the net, Bay City Times is the newspaper of choice there. Try plunking around in those for a feels of what's going on.

You have to learn all the water stuff. People take the lakes very seriously there.

Having grown up in Midland, I cannot say enough great stuff about the quality of education and family oriented life there. If I had to choose between Bay City and Midland, it's Midland ,...no brainer. The commute is only about twenty minutes and is very fast. Winter is going to suck on the highway, but that's life, you get used to it very soon. Edited by Miss Jules

You ever seen a blasted group of people on the Rifle trying to fight off May flies? Funniest damn thing in the world EVER! hahahhahahahahaha

The sober find that amusing as hell. :)

Water Pee'ers, bleck.

You ever seen a blasted group of people on the Rifle trying to fight off May flies? Funniest damn thing in the world EVER! hahahhahahahahaha

The sober find that amusing as hell. :)

Water Pee'ers, bleck.

Yes indeed I have been blasted many a times floating down the Rifle and will be again very soon.

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.