Sign in to follow this  
Jam0457

Lurker need Convergent Advice

I received an alert that my Experian has a new Collection from Convergent for Directv.

I ordered the report online but that doesn't show the DOFD, just the "open date." I am ordering my paper copy to get the correct DOFD.

I have done the math on paper and this debt is between 4yr6mo to 4yr8mo old (giving them two months for it to become late originally, if that makes sense).

This debt was incurred in a state where the SOL is 4yr credit, 5 yr written.

I currently live in Texas (past three years) which the SOL is 4yr for both. I am not sure if this helps me or not.

My question is, do I wait for my first move until I receive a letter from the Collection Agency.

PS- I think I took too long to submit my first post (came back with an error), so sorry if this is reposted twice

Most will say to wait. I on the other hand and very proactive and do not mind poking the bear. I would wait for others to chime in.

Most will say to wait. I on the other hand and very proactive and do not mind poking the bear. I would wait for others to chime in.

Do they have to send me a letter or do I contact them first for a letter ?

They should have sent you a collection notice.

I haven't received anything from them about this.

I've lived at this same address for three years

Looks like they acquired the collection Jan 1 of this year (according to Experian).

Do I contact them?

If you get an initial notice from a debt collector and write back within 30 days to request they validate they debt they are required by law to stop all collection activity, including placing it on your credit report (if it's not there already), until they're able to validate the debt.

Use this to your advantage. The bar for validation is very low, so time would be of the essence. Escalate the matter with the original creditor. Besides calling their customer service you could contact them on twitter (Hey @telco why did you send me to collections after I shipped back my phone?) or write a letter to their CEO.

Since it appears to be an error on their part I wouldn't stress too much, but stay on top of it and keep following up until it's resolved.

I just lifted this advice for another thread that just came up this morning.

If you get an initial notice from a debt collector and write back within 30 days to request they validate they debt they are required by law to stop all collection activity, including placing it on your credit report (if it's not there already), until they're able to validate the debt.

Use this to your advantage. The bar for validation is very low, so time would be of the essence. Escalate the matter with the original creditor. Besides calling their customer service you could contact them on twitter (Hey @telco why did you send me to collections after I shipped back my phone?) or write a letter to their CEO.

Since it appears to be an error on their part I wouldn't stress too much, but stay on top of it and keep following up until it's resolved.

Ok thank you

So do I write them asking for a letter about this?

I've read on here to not contact a collector so I want to make sure I don't screw this up

Thank you

I am proactive too. If they didn't send you an original notice then they goofed. I'd poke the bear too. But please make sure you read the FCRA

Thanks Marv,

I read that thread and I think that is for an amount that won't report.

Mine is 1k. I would like to know how I get them to validate if they haven't sent me a letter.

Also, was wondering in the state this occurred, the SOL on credit is 4 yr and written contracts (which I guess satellite is) is 5.

My current state, Texas, is 4 for both and I was wondering if anyone knew if Texas would apply for me.

Thanks everyone

There is a Statute of Limitations for credit reporting that governs items appearing on your credit file.

There is a Statute of Limitations for legal collection of consumer indebtedness, which may vary from State to State.

The two Statutes are not one and the same.

I am proactive too. If they didn't send you an original notice then they goofed. I'd poke the bear too. But please make sure you read the FCRA

Marv, you know I am like a case law / statute dictionary on these things :blush: in the 6th at least!

I'm sorry if I didn't make sense I'm bad at online stuff.

I guess I was wondering which SOL applies to me, the one where the debt happened 4yr 8 mo ago or the SOL of my current state?

Hey Jam, not being picky with you, but I don't even understand the question you are asking. There is quite a lot of data preserved here regarding SOL. You can use the search function and find out a lot of information. Read up in our archives.

And welcome to CB.

I think he/she is asking which state's laws govern him/her. The old state of residence where the debt took place or the current state where he/she lives

I believe you are protected by your current state of residence for SOL.

Either way I would reach out to Convergent until your paper copy of report arrives so you have all that info

I guess I was wondering which SOL applies to me, the one where the debt happened 4yr 8 mo ago or the SOL of my current state?

Are you concerned about the SOL for reporting, because you want to work on your credit file?

Or, are you concerned about the SOL for collecting debts, because you are worried about litigation?

Are you concerned about the SOL for reporting, because you want to work on your credit file?

Or, are you concerned about the SOL for collecting debts, because you are worried about litigation?

I was worried about litigation SOL and being served if it came to that

Send a message to icanhasmuny. And I will alert her you need some help.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk