Accidentally tuned in to Dave Ramsey today

mendelssohn

The last post in this topic was posted 1873 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I had dealings with DR about 20 years ago,,first they were constantly telling stats about the streaming numbers that were absolutely made up,,telling people they were the most popular financial show etc (they were far from it and they knew it),,constantly making stuff up.

Then they realized they had signed off certain rights to us, all they had to do was call me and explain what they needed, no, they start making up 'stuff' to get out of the contract, heck I wanted out of the contract they were horrible to deal with.

One of the most arrogant organizations I have ever worked with (and that says a lot)

IME, religious zealots like DR are the most selfish, annoying people on Earth. They think they're so friggin' special, like they're "above" you and all that crap. It makes you want to vomit just being in the same room as them.

DR is a tool. A very clever tool, though. He doesn't need CCs, because he became a millionaire sucking money from suckers. If there is a hell, he's going there, book it.

I've run into a few of these that use the cloak of religious piety to reduce the defenses of others. Then they proceed to take advantage of them. There's no lower form of life.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much hate for ole Dave. He has a point, but takes it too far. He's wrong about having to be in massive loads of debt and pay a lot of interest to get a good FICO score. He is right that debt is a serious problem for a lot of people. When you use credit for it's rewards, you are taking the cheese out of the mousetrap before it snaps. A lot of people just aren't fast enough and get caught. If you can do it, great, but most people can't. Getting in debt is like starting smoking, you are trading the long term for the short term, you don't realize how bad it is until it gets so bad you can't handle it, and once you get out of it/quit, you see just how bad it was. I use credit cards for their rewards and discounts, always pat the total balance every payment.

So much hate for ole Dave. He has a point, but takes it too far. He's wrong about having to be in massive loads of debt and pay a lot of interest to get a good FICO score. He is right that debt is a serious problem for a lot of people. When you use credit for it's rewards, you are taking the cheese out of the mousetrap before it snaps. A lot of people just aren't fast enough and get caught. If you can do it, great, but most people can't. Getting in debt is like starting smoking, you are trading the long term for the short term, you don't realize how bad it is until it gets so bad you can't handle it, and once you get out of it/quit, you see just how bad it was. I use credit cards for their rewards and discounts, always pat the total balance every payment.

Except that "his point" is not "his." He doesn't own the anti-debt philosophy. He doesn't even own the moronic anti-CC stance.

That part about the mousetrap is BS. It takes discipline to handle finances and credit. If you listen to DR, you never learn the discipline or impulse control necessary to win at this game.

Edited by mendelssohn

Wow, I had not seen or heard him before that video.

Talk about a pompous flowers.

When asked about issues getting a new cell phone without credit he said:

" I don't personally run into this problem because I have 80 phones"

Excellent advise right there.

Then he starts yelling about paying interest...

🙄

I had dealings with DR about 20 years ago,,first they were constantly telling stats about the streaming numbers that were absolutely made up,,telling people they were the most popular financial show etc (they were far from it and they knew it),,constantly making stuff up.

Then they realized they had signed off certain rights to us, all they had to do was call me and explain what they needed, no, they start making up 'stuff' to get out of the contract, heck I wanted out of the contract they were horrible to deal with.

One of the most arrogant organizations I have ever worked with (and that says a lot)

IME, religious zealots like DR are the most selfish, annoying people on Earth. They think they're so friggin' special, like they're "above" you and all that crap. It makes you want to vomit just being in the same room as them.

DR is a tool. A very clever tool, though. He doesn't need CCs, because he became a millionaire sucking money from suckers. If there is a hell, he's going there, book it.

Like I said...it's easy to sit there and pontificate when you're a millionaire (who got rich taking money from poor people, BTW). Remember, DR is trying to defend HIS SYSTEM, which made him rich, so I don't blame him for trying, but his arrogance and self-righteousness is nauseating. You just want to haul off and smash him right in the mouth.

I would also like to know what car rental company he uses that doesn't require a CC to initiate a rental. All the majors require a CC, period.

I guess you could get a mortgage without a credit score, but it would be a royal PITA, and the APR would be much higher, costing you hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional interest over the life of the mortgage.

DR is, as my mother used to say, penny wise and pound foolish.

Guess what, DR...there are many of us who have plenty of money, and also have CCs...a lot of CCs...and we've never paid a dime in interest on any of them while racking up tons of freebies.

DW and I are going on vacation in June, and instead of shelling out thousands of dollars for first class airfare and hotel, those things will be FREE for us, thanks to our rewards cards...you know, the ones with zero balances?

/rant

Like I said...it's easy to sit there and pontificate when you're a millionaire (who got rich taking money from poor people, BTW). Remember, DR is trying to defend HIS SYSTEM, which made him rich, so I don't blame him for trying, but his arrogance and self-righteousness is nauseating. You just want to haul off and smash him right in the mouth.

I would also like to know what car rental company he uses that doesn't require a CC to initiate a rental. All the majors require a CC, period.

I guess you could get a mortgage without a credit score, but it would be a royal PITA, and the APR would be much higher, costing you hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional interest over the life of the mortgage.

DR is, as my mother used to say, penny wise and pound foolish.

Guess what, DR...there are many of us who have plenty of money, and also have CCs...a lot of CCs...and we've never paid a dime in interest on any of them while racking up tons of freebies.

DW and I are going on vacation in June, and instead of shelling out thousands of dollars for first class airfare and hotel, those things will be FREE for us, thanks to our rewards cards...you know, the ones with zero balances?

/rant

Exactly! :clapping:

I guarantee you the line about renting car without CC is horse crap. Any business with financial sense (or one that likes turning a profit anyway) would rent with CC for insurance benefits.

He probably doesn't even book his own rental cars anyway so wt-f would he know?

I guarantee you the line about renting car without CC is horse crap. Any business with financial sense (or one that likes turning a profit anyway) would rent with CC for insurance benefits.

He probably doesn't even book his own rental cars anyway so wt-f would he know?

I was living like DR up until about 2009. Had done everything with cash, check, or wire since the late 1990's. It wasn't that I was trying to avoid credit. I used to have CCs but stopped using them because back then they didn't link to bank accounts and I'd have to write checks. So I was going along, fat,dumb, and happy using cash. I was doing a DR w/o ever having heard of him.

Then I noticed having to go through a song and dance renting cars and sometimes hotel rooms. I could talk them into it eventually but they would start off saying something like "we don't take debit cards because it can drop someone's bank balance without them expecting it." Various and sundry excuses. So one day I started googling why they wouldn't take debit cards and discovered not having a credit card was considered high risk. It wasn't the issue of payment but whether you'd trash the room or car.

So that's when I started looking into credit cards. Before that I had no idea what was even in a credit report. None at all.

Since that time and having had credit cards for 8 years now, I've not paid any interest so his nonsense about having to have debt and pay lots of interest to get a good credit score is laughable.

Yeah, DR knows better and you can kind of tell from his rants that he knows better. But he can't really change the pitch now without losing some of his customers.

His "system" is good for people that absolutely can't handle credit,,if they have a credit card they will max it out in a month,,those people should follow DRs advice, but hopefully most people today have some self restraint, can manage credit.

I've run into a few of these that use the cloak of religious piety to reduce the defenses of others. Then they proceed to take advantage of them. There's no lower form of life.

+Infinity.

• 7 months later...

I listened to Dave Ramsey radio shows for a while and came to the conclusion that this guy is full of hot air and is only interested in lining his own pockets. I have heard him give some really bad and incorrect advice. He knows nothing about Business Sales and I know that because I am a Business Broker and have been successfully selling businesses for 21 years. His so called "ministry" is just a vehicle for his own personal enrichment. One of his main items of advice is credit cards. He says that everyone should cut up their credit cards. That is bad advice especially if someone is in a jam and say their car breaks down and they don't have any cash to fix it . A low limit credit card (under $1,500) is a smart thing to carry in your wallet or purse. If you cannot control your spending and use it for other purchases besides for emergency purposes, then you are the sucker that Dave Ramsey feeds off of. Or if you can keep your credit card spending to a manageable level where you can pay off the balance in a month or two, then you are not a compulsive spender. Dave Ramsey does not need to carry a credit card. His net worth is reported to be around $55 million so he probably carries a lot of cash in his wallet. The only good thing I can see that he does is he is employing a lot of people.

The only good thing I can see that he does is he is employing a lot of people.

And from what I've read, DR treats said employees like serfs.

Not defending the guy, but I think he's gotten "best place to work for" in Nashville 8 or 10 different times. Not sure what that says about Nashville in general though.

Not defending the guy, but I think he's gotten "best place to work for" in Nashville 8 or 10 different times. Not sure what that says about Nashville in general though.

The friend I'm visiting in Palm Springs this weekend got his Ph.D. At Vanderbilt, and he doesn't have many positive things to say about Nashville... and he grew up in Weiner, Arkansas.

The friend I'm visiting in Palm Springs this weekend got his Ph.D. At Vanderbilt, and he doesn't have many positive things to say about Nashville... and he grew up in Weiner, Arkansas.

Isn't that where Bill Clinton is from ??

The last post in this topic was posted 1873 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.