Hey everyone, I'm back!!!

92GTA

The last post in this topic was posted 1778 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

If your mother is a US citizen, I am not sure how it works for green card holders but I can't imagine it would be much different, and didn't pay into SS and it looks like she has no other income she would qualify for food stamps and a few other senior programs. Have you looked into that to help defer some of your expenses. She can get on a reduced rate with the electric companies to cut down the cost of utilities. There is also a Lifeline assistance program for her phone and that would provide her with a cell phone and cover the majority of costs.

Also, moving in with your mother would help save many costs. I take it part of the expenses are for her caretakers. If you lived there you could eliminate some of the nightly and weekend costs.

Of course, I have no idea where your job is or where your kids live so that would make a difference. I can tell you it is not fun but it is doable. I did a 2.5 hour commute one way for 8 months when I had to move in with my mom temporarily and in the long run it was worth it.

Edited by bleutatoo

I tried living there for over this past year, I just couldn't get a job there making enough to cover the bills so I had to come back, I do high level IT and there is just no need for that there. Really the quality of care and especially medical is far beyond what we could ever afford for her here, plus that's her home. Being that her short term memory is gone, moving her somewhere she doesn't know would be stealing away from her what freedom she has left in her life. Being how healthy her body is, that's like stealing the last 20 years of her life.

Technically she paid into SS until she was 30, but she was never more than a secretary so her total SS is only $48x a month which all goes towards her food.

My kids live here in CA.

The last post in this topic was posted 1778 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.