Sign in to follow this  
IHateSherman

Discover Sucks!

I've had my Discover card for going on two years now and I had a SL of $500. My CL today is......$500! Every attempt at a CLI has been declined with FICOs today ranging from 720-745. No utilization at all and more than $50,000 in available credit with high income and not many new accounts or inquiries. I always PIF but of course it's not hard with a $500 CL.

I called to find out why they won't increase the CL and their reps are like robots reading off a script. "Yes sir, I'd be more than happy to check if a CLI is available for you." "I'm sorry we cannot increase your credit line at this time". Who hired these stupid people and what the hell is wrong with this company? I think I'm just going to close this account.

I think it may be worth a closer look at what other cards you have in your credit mix, or if you've got any negatives in your file. Discover gave me a huge limit right off the bat - my first card, with a thin file containing nothing but 2 years of student loan payments. And those were rehabilitated loans at that.

And those scores you shared - were they Fico 8 scores?

SOP for Discovery. They prefer people with distressed credit and/or the potential to not PIF.

I think it may be worth a closer look at what other cards you have in your credit mix, or if you've got any negatives in your file. Discover gave me a huge limit right off the bat - my first card, with a thin file containing nothing but 2 years of student loan payments. And those were rehabilitated loans at that.

And those scores you shared - were they Fico 8 scores?

I have a long credit history of good TLs prior to going thru very tough times in 2010. Depending on the CR, there's 1 to 4 COs left and a few 30 day mortgage lates. My TU CR has only one CO left with a 745 FICO 8. Isn't that what Discover SP for CLI? The other two reports will be clean by August to September.

SOP for Discovery. They prefer people with distressed credit and/or the potential to not PIF.

It's hard not to PIF if you only have a $500 CL.

Edited by IHateSherman

I know the new account is not Preferred but I had this same problem. I closed it, waited for my final statement to be sent to me and then applied two months later. 500 limit for 2 years, new card was 9k

Mine was secured at first then graduated. I think I was stuck in a subprime bucket

Edited by AmberD

I guess Discover is going to become my every day spend card now thanks to this huge CLI. (Warning: heavy sarcasm may be present)

vjoNUx5.jpg

:rofl:

Can't believe Kat's not here yet.

My limit isn't as low as yours, but I had the card since 2008 & they don't seem to have a set pattern for initial SLs or CLIs from what I can see. I've used it in every way possible through the years & with a SL of $1500, I'm at $8200 now. I have 0 util on $30500k & 800 scores now.

Some have amazing increases & love the card, but a few of us are red-headed stepchildren to them. Just don't put all your eggs in 1 basket.

I know the new account is not Preferred but I had this same problem. I closed it, waited for my final statement to be sent to me and then applied two months later. 500 limit for 2 years, new card was 9k

Mine was secured at first then graduated. I think I was stuck in a subprime bucket

Been contemplating this approach, thanks for the data

Every lender has examples like this. People that can't seem to catch a break. Sorry to hear about your woes. My discover isn't a year old yet and I am real close to 20k on it. When I applied for it my oldest card at the time was 6 months old. Every profile is different.

Every lender has examples like this. People that can't seem to catch a break. Sorry to hear about your woes. My discover isn't a year old yet and I am real close to 20k on it. When I applied for it my oldest card at the time was 6 months old. Every profile is different.

Yes, every lender has complaints, but not with the frequency and variety of Discover:

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=586912&page=5

Your profile is what Discover favors, not super prime established profiles. If you have high income, they like you even less.

Edited by mendelssohn

Yes, every lender has complaints, but not with the frequency and variety of Discover: <- BS

Your profile is what Discover favors, not super prime established profiles. If you have high income, they like you even less.

You don't have a clue about what Discover favors.

Yes, every lender has complaints, but not with the frequency and variety of Discover: <- BS

You don't have a clue about what Discover favors.

See below:

Kat58, on 27 Jul 2015 - 8:22 PM, said:snapback.png

MarvBear, on 27 Jul 2015 - 8:14 PM, said:snapback.png

Kat58, on 27 Jul 2015 - 2:32 PM, said:snapback.png

breeze, on 27 Jul 2015 - 2:21 PM, said:snapback.png

Kat is Cat.

Meow :wave:

Dear Cat.

Last warning. I've already made one about sheathing your claws. If you can't bring yourself to quit following mendel around and trying to start a ruckus. I'm going to declaw you. So put him on ignore or do whatever you have to, but I'm done with all the confrontation.

Can you please be more specific? Was making a point, not a ruckus. Did you read the thread? Not being catty, just don't understand what you mean.

https://creditboards...46560&p=5314886

MarvBear, on 27 Jul 2015 - 8:27 PM, said:snapback.png

Put mendel on ignore and shut the hell up. . Clear enough.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

https://creditboards...46560&p=5314890

That was almost 2 years ago...

My oh my, how things have changed ;) and yet, they remain the same.

Figure that one out.

Don't start that BS again. I'm not following you around. Remember the SL incident? You need to get your paranoia in check.

Anyone that bashes Discover/or other bank, or people, without just cause gets the same treatment. You're not special.

Best way to prove that you're not "following" someone around would be to actually post something relevant to the thread...

This is getting really old...

On topic...

Keep plugging them for the SP CLIs and they will eventually break. It took years for me, but they finally tried to catch up to the other lenders. For me, they definitely didn't like to extend more credit initially to a prime user that doesn't carry balances.

On topic...

Keep plugging them for the SP CLIs and they will eventually break. It took years for me, but they finally tried to catch up to the other lenders. For me, they definitely didn't like to extend more credit initially to a prime user that doesn't carry balances.

My FICOs should be hitting 800 by year's end when the last of my 30 day lates will be gone. So, I will keep it open as an experiment.

I don't know what all the fuss is about with Kat58, but Discover is worse than a subprime CC to me. Even Merrick gave me a $1500 CL last year and I closed it.

On topic...

My FICOs should be hitting 800 by year's end when the last of my 30 day lates will be gone. So, I will keep it open as an experiment.

I don't know what all the fuss is about with Kat58, but Discover is worse than a subprime CC to me. Even Merrick gave me a $1500 CL last year and I closed it.

Read the links in the Discover Fan Club section of the thread I linked above and you'll understand.

I don't have Disco but as a bystander and spectator I see Kat defending Disco as others passionately defend $550 annual fees and other actions by certain lenders telling people they are math challenged. I think we need to be less sensitive here....and grown men should not cry because of a comment coming from a distant keyboard.

I don't have Disco but as a bystander and spectator I see Kat defending Disco as others passionately defend $550 annual fees and other actions by certain lenders telling people they are math challenged. I think we need to be less sensitive here....and grown men should not cry because of a comment coming from a distant keyboard.

Except that math should make all rewards decisions. Math shows that Discover is not a great card and also that a $550 AF card can work for some people if the math works in their favor.

The "math challenged" comments I made to Indy are because he refuses to do any calculations and simply says that no AF is worth it, which is ridiculous. You need to calculate based on your situation to see if it is worth it. A dogmatic statement against AFs based on no calculations is ridiculous.

Also, Kat is not a grown man. Nobody else is crying here.

Edited by mendelssohn