Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Moving Limit from "Prime" To "Subprime" Capital One Card

I don't have the energy to paw through this thread.

Could someone who is familiar with their card combos help me?

If I open a new Capital One card, is there a high likelihood that I will have issues moving the limit to my existing Capital One card, which still has subprime stench from when it was opened 6.5 years ago with a $750 limit?

That's the only way this thing is going to grow.

PS: Yes, I know, they're all subprime. I'm talking about my credit profile at the time of application.

You'll have to wait 6 months after opening the new card to move the limit over, but otherwise there should be no expectation of difficulty.

If I'm remembering correctly it's possible to get all of the aspects of each card that you want to keep - you can choose to have the lower APR, the oldest account age, and if applicable whichever of the two networks you want, all on top of having the combined total credit limit of both cards.

EDIT: I forgot to add that you have to have the card you're closing paid in full with no pending transactions, and if you choose the older card, you can't change some of its hidden attributes - propensity for CLIs, etc.

Edited by illusemycreditcard

note that at times crap1 treats you only as good as your worst card with them... you might be better off closing the subprime card and opening afresh.

You'll have to wait 6 months after opening the new card to move the limit over, but otherwise there should be no expectation of difficulty.

Thank you.

Waiting is no big deal... I just didn't want to end up closing the new one unless I could gain this specific benefit from opening it.

If I'm remembering correctly it's possible to get all of the aspects of each card that you want to keep - you can choose to have the lower APR, the oldest account age, and if applicable whichever of the two networks you want, all on top of having the combined total credit limit of both cards.

My goal is to keep the account age and dramatically bump the limit, which is currently at $13,000 after at least five CLIs (two of which were 2x and ~3x from the EO, when they were still assisting with CLIs).

note that at times crap1 treats you only as good as your worst card with them... you might be better off closing the subprime card and opening afresh.

If I close this card I will never open another. I'm trying to salvage what I have, for purposes I cannot explain.

Any firsthand experiences moving the limit from a new Capital One card obtained with sparkling credit to one that was obtained earlier with less-than-ideal credit?

I did it a while back with no problem.

First card was obtained when scores were in the 630s.

Second card obtained ~6mos later when scores were in the 720s.

Combined after 6 mos.

If I close this card I will never open another. I'm trying to salvage what I have, for purposes I cannot explain.

This sounds so mysterious.

Even if you don't want to explain your reasons, a good reason I can think of, that CBers would generally support, is that you want to keep the age of the older TL to help maintain your AAOA. And that's a reason for anyone to keep a no-AF card that's been open "awhile," and the exact definition of "awhile" varies based on the size and age of your file.

Even if you don't want to explain your reasons, a good reason I can think of, that CBers would generally support, is that you want to keep the age of the older TL to help maintain your AAOA. And that's a reason for anyone to keep a no-AF card that's been open "awhile," and the exact definition of "awhile" varies based on the size and age of your file.

Aside from my four D*95 Amices, this is my oldest open credit card. Aside from that it does nothing for me, except the occasional entertainment value of doing a no-fee BT that gets PIF before the end of the next cycle so I also pay them no interest.

This card also briefly allowed me to express my creativity when I had a custom card with a photo of a Twinkie wiener sandwich on it, but that evaporated when they sent me a chip card to use in kiosks that I never encounter.

Considering that he has D* Amices reporting, keeping this card open long term really isn't important to his profile.

Considering that he has D* Amices reporting, keeping this card open long term really isn't important to his profile.

I wasn't really directing that at the OP, but more to newbies reading the forum wondering why someone might keep a card open when it has no other uses. And since higher limits beget higher limits, that's why it's important to increase the CL on on old TL you keep. As in, it's a good idea for everyone, even if your reasons are different.

If I had a Twinkie Weiner card, I'd keep it for the memories too. It's too bad kiosks don't accept weiner cards.

As long as it isn't your oldest account though, there isn't a reason that you have to keep cards open. I don't fall into the no AF = keep open forever camp.

Also remember that creditors are only looking at your top 1-3 limits. They don't consider average limit or lowest limits.

Unless you are like me and Capital One has labelled you as subprime for life and won't let you combine accounts even if two accounts have zero balances.

Unless you are like me and Capital One has labelled you as subprime for life and won't let you combine accounts even if two accounts have zero balances.

Was your original card a Capital One, or did it get moved over from Orchard or some other acquisition?

Was your original card a Capital One, or did it get moved over from Orchard or some other acquisition?

It was an original Cap1 card that I got 2 days after my BK discharge. Got the next one, about 6 months after discharge and the third another couple of months after that. The ones at 6 and 8 months are the ones I want to combine with my original one, but they won't let me. The other 2 I have I must have been smoking something (or listened to juggs to many times).

It was an original Cap1 card that I got 2 days after my BK discharge. Got the next one, about 6 months after discharge and the third another couple of months after that. The ones at 6 and 8 months are the ones I want to combine with my original one, but they won't let me. The other 2 I have I must have been smoking something (or listened to juggs to many times).

Thank you.

Any firsthand experiences moving the limit from a new Capital One card obtained with sparkling credit to one that was obtained earlier with less-than-ideal credit?

I have no firsthand experience, but a couple of datapoints from acquaintances:

• Rolled a relatively new Venture Visa into an old Quicksilver MasterCard that started as a Platinum. Capital One CO 1-2 years before the Platinum. Can't get CLIs on that card even with use. Quicksilver Visa from about two years later than the Platinum gets regular CLIs with less use. (My own Quicksilver Visa and Quicksilver MasterCard both get small CLIs with minimal use.)
  • Got a Quicksilver One almost exactly one year after a CO with Capital One. Card is currently a Quicksilver and gets regular CLIs.
  • Got a Credit Builder Program card with a very limited credit history. The card is now a WEMC Quicksilver and gets a very small CLI every six months. Rolled multiple new cards into this one.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to how these hidden aspects of Capital One's accounts work.

I have no firsthand experience, but a couple of datapoints from acquaintances:

• Rolled a relatively new Venture Visa into an old Quicksilver MasterCard that started as a Platinum. Capital One CO 1-2 years before the Platinum. Can't get CLIs on that card even with use. Quicksilver Visa from about two years later than the Platinum gets regular CLIs with less use. (My own Quicksilver Visa and Quicksilver MasterCard both get small CLIs with minimal use.)
  • Got a Quicksilver One almost exactly one year after a CO with Capital One. Card is currently a Quicksilver and gets regular CLIs.
  • Got a Credit Builder Program card with a very limited credit history. The card is now a WEMC Quicksilver and gets a very small CLI every six months. Rolled multiple new cards into this one.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to how these hidden aspects of Capital One's accounts work.

Much appreciated.

On 2/23/2017 at 10:34 AM, cv91915 said:

Aside from my four D*95 Amices, this is my oldest open credit card. Aside from that it does nothing for me, except the occasional entertainment value of doing a no-fee BT that gets PIF before the end of the next cycle so I also pay them no interest.

This card also briefly allowed me to express my creativity when I had a custom card with a photo of a Twinkie wiener sandwich on it, but that evaporated when they sent me a chip card to use in kiosks that I never encounter.

Twinkie wiener kiosk?

On 2/23/2017 at 1:04 PM, cv91915 said:

I had a $500 card when I started rebuilding. Later, got a $5000 card and combined and close the $5000. I then got a venture for $30k and then combined to the $5500 card. Then did it again for a $65500 limit currently. Thought about trying my luck again since it’s been a couple years. I have almost 1 mil in available revolving so getting new/bigger lines of credit hasn’t been my focus. But I think I did the exact thing your exploring with capital one. No problem.