Have $9300 available to pay off debt closed card or open cards?

The last post in this topic was posted 1546 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I've asked this before but didn't feel like I have a solid understanding of whats more important. As of right now I have $9300 in cash to pay off some debt. I'am torn on dropping all $9300 on a closed Navy Card with a balance of $14k, or paying off my open lines of credit to 0% util and then snowballing the Navy Card. As of this morning I'm using 143% of available credit, motsly due to the closed card having a balance and some of my open cards being at 90% util due to divorce attorney fees. Alot of the credit simulators online, Credit Karma and USAA, show I could expect to get a decent 30 point bump by simply paying off my open cards, but I can reduce the overall util to under 100% if I pay the $9300 on the closed Navy Card and severely reduce the interest I would pay aswell. The other thing weighing heavily on this is my upcoming security clearance review and which would look worse to the investigator, a closed card with above $10k balance and other cards at 80 percent util, or a closed card with 4k balance and all other cards at 0%?

Goal is to buy a house with a VA loan next Summer.

I would say it would look better to pay closed cards. But I like the snowball approach as it gives you a plan to pay off the closed ones. What would be you plan to pay of the open ones if you pay the closed accounts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three of them are at 0% interest due to SCRA violations the other two are 13% and 17% respectively. I would pay off the $2k star card and take that $100 a month and pay off USAA ($~3K balance) and then hit the 0% interest small cards. I have the cards listed below:

USAA $3150 balance, $7k Limit, 13% APR

STAR Card $2600 balance, $4k limit, 17% APR

Amazon, $590 balance, $800 limit, 0% APR

Walmart $2000 balance, $2200 limit, 0% APR

Capital One, $800 limit, $700 balance 0% APR

Or I could pay all them off and then hit Navy at $600 a month and then an additional $1500 every quarter from my Pell grant.

Pay off everything else to get those utilizations to zero. Don't be surprised if you don't get balance chased though. You'll want to definitely address AAFES as I read elsewhere on here your Uncle Sam doesn't like to mess around. Need to keep a little bit of an emergency fund and build that back up while paying off NavyFed.

Pay off everything else to get those utilizations to zero. Don't be surprised if you don't get balance chased though. You'll want to definitely address AAFES as I read elsewhere on here your Uncle Sam doesn't like to mess around. Need to keep a little bit of an emergency fund and build that back up while paying off NavyFed.

Synchrony has been doing this to me already on Walmart and Amazon store cards. I thought about paying them down to 10% and letting that report for a few months that way then paying them off or paying all of them to 30% and waiting a few months then paying them all off minus Navy Federal. The irony was even with that closed Navy Card last summer they gave me a second $30k new auto loan at 2.21%, but now im paying my ex-wifes car payment until she hands teh vehicle over to me in the next 90 days.

Edited by ihatecollections

I will pay the open cards down to around 10% and let the balances sit for two months then pay them off. My Walmart FICO was 666 this month with heavy utilization, im guessing if i pay them down to 10% i will be near 700 again. I do have a medical collection on there as well im fighting from my ex-wife which should get deleted any day.

The last post in this topic was posted 1546 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.