Portfolio Recovery - grrr!

saporterfl

The last post in this topic was posted 2039 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I asked for validation on an account they are reporting on my bureaus. They did respond with a computer printout of the account number, balances and original creditor (Cap1) I know this doesn't pass as validation but they also sent old account statements. Do these count? What are my next steps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked for validation on an account they are reporting on my bureaus. They did respond with a computer printout of the account number, balances and original creditor (Cap1) I know this doesn't pass as validation but they also sent old account statements. Do these count? What are my next steps?

pretty much, yeah.

how old and what state are you in ?

pretty much, yeah.

I'm out of sol - they even said they can no longer take legal action. That is in writing.

Did they make a full accounting of the amount they say you owe, and does that amount match what is being reported to the CRAs?

No, they sent a printout of their own account summary showing the account number, default date, original creditor, and that's about it. They also sent printouts of Cap 1 statements, these were for completely random dates (Jan, Feb, then October).

What do you think the requirements are for debt validation?

If your request was sent because you found an entry on your credit report (not a first collection letter), they didn't have to send you anything at all.

I've heard various things. Some seem to say the statements are enough but others have said they don't hold up in court as validation.

I'm just looking ominous for advice on the best way to handle.

Honestly validation depends on the Circuit you are in. What you stated you received would be considered validation in Michigan where I am at. However, I use my states collection laws to demand validation. That might be something you want to look into.

• Admin

If your request was sent because you found an entry on your credit report (not a first collection letter), they didn't have to send you anything at all.

I think he's trying for a deletion. Cap One is tough. They have all the records, and they don't delete or make deals, even PFD on a stale debt. They just don't do it.

I think he's trying for a deletion. Cap One is tough. They have all the records, and they don't delete or make deals, even PFD on a stale debt. They just don't do it.

You're right. They tend to report to the very last day possible.

You're right. They tend to report to the very last day possible.

So what's the best option? I'm looking to hopefully buy a home in the next year. Would I be better off just paying it and calling it a day?

I've heard various things. Some seem to say the statements are enough but others have said they don't hold up in court as validation.

The law is easy to find using the Google machine.

For FDCPA validation it holds up - it's a lower standard than court proceedings - all they have to prove is they contacted the right person, this is your account and contacted the OC for statements

if they would have sued you , then no - they have to meet the state legal requirements on admissible evidence and clear the hearsay rules

you can dispute the amount owed at this stage, but they can't sue, you could settle for less.

just don't let them know you're mortgage shopping - wait till it's settled

pretty much, yeah.

I'm out of sol - they even said they can no longer take legal action. That is in writing.

Is the debt older than 7 years?

pretty much, yeah.

No, but it is outside the SOL so they can't take me to court.

pretty much, yeah.

No, but it is outside the SOL so they can't take me to court.

In reviewing the information further I noticed the info they had wasn't correct (address). I've been told with verifiable proof of the correct address on the statement dates they provided - they would have to remove?

The last post in this topic was posted 2039 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.