Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Creditor not on credit report

The last post in this topic was posted 1229 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I have a creditor that had a judgment against me and last year they began garnishing my checks. I ended having to leave that job and they were no longer able to garnish my checks. Since then, they have been attempting to collect by trying to get me to come to court. I went to court in September but hadn't started working and then again in November ( found a new job) but I never told them I was working. They asked me to come to court again in December but I never went. They sent me a letter stating I needed to tell them when they would get payment. Now they want me to come to court again and I don't plan on going this time either because I'll have to miss work. So since they garnished me, I assumed thats what they were going to try to do again. In anticipation of that, I figured I'll go ahead and file bankruptcy. I check my credit report and they're not even on there any more!!! Why do they still want me to come to court and the judgment is not even showing on my credit report? The credit report would show that right? Is there a letter that I can send to let them know the statute is up on collecting because I assume thats why it's not on my credit report. I don't want them trying to garnish my checks again. Judgments are for 7 or 10 years? I thought it was 10 years in Indiana.

If you fail to show up for a court date, you can be arrested and charged with contempt of court. Go to jail, go directly to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

that's actually not true here, I looked over the records for when I missed the court date because they're public and there was no contempt of court for the missed date.

It may not be true yet, but it is absolutely a possibility. It isn't the people who have sued you who would have you arrested, it is the judge. Ignoring a summons is contempt of court and if they continue to try to bring you to court and you ignore the summons, the judge may issue an order to have you arrested. It happens. Sometimes it makes the news, a lot of the time it doesn't.

It's not a good idea to ignore any summons to appear in court.

that's actually not true here, I looked over the records for when I missed the court date because they're public and there was no contempt of court for the missed date.

It absolutely is true. Every time I have ever been in court I see multiple cases of warrants being issued for failure to appear. The absolute worst thing you can do with any court case is to ignore it. Ignoring things never makes them better, nor does it make them go away.

No creditor except for Federal SL are required to report to your credit report.

The fraud you committed may come back to haunt you.

I have a creditor that had a judgment against me and last year they began garnishing my checks. I ended having to leave that job and they were no longer able to garnish my checks. Since then, they have been attempting to collect by trying to get me to come to court. I went to court in September but hadn't started working and then again in November ( found a new job) but I never told them I was working. They asked me to come to court again in December but I never went. They sent me a letter stating I needed to tell them when they would get payment. Now they want me to come to court again and I don't plan on going this time either because I'll have to miss work. So since they garnished me, I assumed thats what they were going to try to do again. In anticipation of that, I figured I'll go ahead and file bankruptcy. I check my credit report and they're not even on there any more!!! Why do they still want me to come to court and the judgment is not even showing on my credit report? The credit report would show that right? Is there a letter that I can send to let them know the statute is up on collecting because I assume thats why it's not on my credit report. I don't want them trying to garnish my checks again. Judgments are for 7 or 10 years? I thought it was 10 years in Indiana.

Just because a judgement isn't on your credit report doesn't mean they can't collect. Judgements are renewable in Indiana for another 10 years after the original 10 years are up. I agree with other posters; don't miss court. Ignoring this won't make it go away.

Add to that, you lied under oath. Unless you were getting paid under the table in cash, they can check it. Our best advice is, show up for the next court date, don't dig yourself in deeper.

Also, if you show up for court you may possibly be able to speak to their attorneys and get the amount due reduced or get a payment plan which wouldn't have your wages garnished and your employer wouldn't know about the debt.

And, you may get lucky and the opposing side doesn't show up which would mean things could go favourable for you. Disclaimer, this doesn't normally happen but...

The last post in this topic was posted 1229 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.