Sign in to follow this  
mendelssohn

The Master Why We Complain About Discover Thread

I hate Discovery more today than I did yesterday. Thank you for this excellent, informative thread. :good:

I do what I can. :)

Limited Acceptance:

globe-usa-highlighted-hi.png

Poor customer service:

Declined Transactions:

They Do Not Reward Prime Credit Or High Income:

Rewards Issues:

Discover Fan Club:

Additional Reading:

Limited Acceptance:

Poor customer service:

Declined Transactions:

Rewards Issues:

Discover Fan Club:

Additional Reading:

My account has been closed for more than 4 years when I got an email saying that my payment for $3900 had posted. I called the 800 number and told them that was an error. The girl said they would do an investigation, make sure the payment belonged to me, and then I would receive a letter in the mail. I received a check for $3900. Now they want their money back and are opening the account that has been closed for more than 4 years to charge me $3900. This is crap. They made the error and sent me the money after they had done an investigation.

If you receive a package in the mail that you did not order, it is considered a gift. Same olds here. They sent me a check after doing an investigation and sent me a gift of $3900. It's not my fault that they did not follow their procedures. The first girl said that they were going to do an investigation; the second girl calls and says that they are putting a charge of $3900 on my account because of their error... and goes on to tell me that they do NOT perform any sort of investigation before issuing refunds. Umm, really?

The manager says that no matter what, they are opening that closed account and will send me to collections. Now the supervisor says the same thing. They screwed up at every point and sent me a gift of $3900. I don't see why I have to give it back. I'm the one that notified THEM of a payment being put on an account that had been closed for 4 years! Incompetence coupled with arrogance. They did not follow their own procedures. The fault lies with them, and they alone should cover the cost of their mistake.

Updated 6/6/2016: So, Natalie of Discover called to tell me that, yep, they DO NOT INVESTIGATE REFUNDS WHATSOEVER. It's all on the customer. I closed my account 4 years ago and a payment was incorrectly applied. NO RED FLAG FOR DISCOVER. They implied that they would "look into it" when I called them, and if the funds were mine, issue a refund. It would take a couple of weeks. BUT NOW THEY ADMIT THAT THEY DO NOT INVESTIGATE ANYTHING. Now they are turning me into the credit bureaus because I have a balance on a closed account. No investigation, will not release transcripts of phone conversations, and now threats of harming my credit ratings. Great job, Discover. It's not a wonder why so many people do not like your services.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/credit_cards/discover.html?page=3

:rofl:

Edited by mendelssohn

Limited Acceptance:

Poor customer service:

Declined Transactions:

Rewards Issues:

Discover Fan Club:

Additional Reading:

Apparently I never posted about Germany? I may need to do so to add to the list. Multiple large cities, Berlin included, were barren of Discover acceptance.

Additionally, Schiphol Airport, but I wouldn't say Amsterdam's airport represents the Netherlands as a whole.

I have had nothing but good experiences with customer service. I haven't used the card in the real world but for recurring charges and payments all has been good. I guess since I got the card as part of a spree with the only need being limits, I am content. This could all change if I don't get any LUV on March 8th after the 3rd statement closes.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Apparently I never posted about Germany? I may need to do so to add to the list. Multiple large cities, Berlin included, were barren of Discover acceptance.

Additionally, Schiphol Airport, but I wouldn't say Amsterdam's airport represents the Netherlands as a whole.

I will add both.

If they don't accept it in the largest airport in the country, that's pretty indicative of the country as a whole. That is the one place you would expect it to be accepted.

I have had nothing but good experiences with customer service. I haven't used the card in the real world but for recurring charges and payments all has been good. I guess since I got the card as part of a spree with the only need being limits, I am content. This could all change if I don't get any LUV on March 8th after the 3rd statement closes.

This thread is just to document the negative experiences, of which there are many that are well documented.

The Discover Fan Club thinks this is to bash Discover, which it is not. It is to answer the question about why we complain about Discover and have all the documentation in 1 place.

I will add both.

If they don't accept it in the largest airport in the country, that's pretty indicative of the country as a whole. That is the one place you would expect it to be accepted.

This thread is just to document the negative experiences, of which there are many that are well documented.

The Discover Fan Club thinks this is to bash Discover, which it is not. It is to answer the question about why we complain about Discover and have all the documentation in 1 place.

Well in that case a rep once told me I could get a credit line increase after 60 days and it was incorrect so don't like that rep at discover.

I will add both.

Fair point about Schiphol.

Berlin points of sale included Museums, coffee shops, restaurants, etc. I'll make a point to fully document the next trip. Even if I leave the card at home (which I will).

Limited Acceptance:

Poor customer service:

Declined Transactions:

Rewards Issues:

Discover Fan Club:

Additional Reading:

Limited Acceptance:

Poor customer service:

Declined Transactions:

Rewards Issues:

Discover Fan Club:

Additional Reading:

Limited Acceptance:

Poor customer service:

Declined Transactions:

Rewards Issues:

Discover Fan Club:

Additional Reading:

Limited Acceptance:

Poor customer service:

Declined Transactions:

Rewards Issues:

Discover Fan Club:

Additional Reading:

Limited Acceptance:

Poor customer service:

Declined Transactions:

Rewards Issues:

Discover Fan Club:

Additional Reading:

Edited by mendelssohn

Limited Acceptance:

Poor customer service:

Declined Transactions:

Rewards Issues:

Discover Fan Club:

Additional Reading:

Limited Acceptance:

Poor customer service:

Declined Transactions:

Rewards Issues:

Discover Fan Club:

Additional Reading:

That you are a cult member? Exactly.

People can read the list of complaints organized here and decide for themselves.

That you are a cult member? Exactly.

People can read the list of complaints organized here and decide for themselves.

Decide what, exactly?