Declined Transactions:

They Do Not Reward Prime Credit Or High Income:

Rewards Issues:

Rewards and Benefits Not Competitive:

Closed Accounts:

Discover Fan Club:

Discover Banking/Lending:

Additional Reading:

On banking side, Discovery eliminated their cashback on checking account transactions. Now instead of a bonus per ACH and per BillPay, they now give a flat 1% on debit purchases. Who uses debit????

On 12/4/2017 at 7:56 AM, mendelssohn said:

Limited Acceptance:

world_map_us.jpg

CB Trip Reports:

Poor customer service:

Declined Transactions:

Rewards Issues:

Closed Accounts:

Discover Fan Club:

Additional Reading:

@CreditHegemony

22 minutes ago, Ehhgead said:

Would it be adviseable to not or never get a Discover card?

Some people have much more disdain for Discover than others.  I fall somewhere in the middle.  I wouldn't say to NEVER get a Discover card, but I certainly wouldn't make it my primary card or only card given the reasons outlined in this thread.  However, if you are employing a cash back rewards strategy, having a Discover to take advantage of the 5% quarterly bonuses and when the Discover Deals are better than other CB portals (although getting credit can be spotty), combined with the 2x match for the first year makes it have some value.  I wouldn't use it for regular expenses after the first year as there are 2% cards on the market rather than the 1% Discover gives.

I look at it as a tool in the toolbox.

Here is a link to a CB member's recent experience where Discovery sided with the merchant in a very clear case where the merchant provided shoddy merchandise.

I wouldn't charge a nickel to a Discovery card if there was a 0.00000000000001% chance that I'd need to exercise my right to do a chargeback when I've dealt with a shady merchant.

This story happened to end well, but only after the CB member threatened to cancel her card, THEN happened to get transferred to a retention agent who actually cared, THEN was forced to confront the merchant directly over the phone on a three-way phone conversation, and THEN the merchant finally issued the refund voluntarily.

To add insult to injury, unless this purchase was in one of the capped, rotating 5% spending categories that requires pre-registration, the poster would have earned an uncompetitive 1%  cash back for the purchase.

Edited by cv91915

I was under the impression that Discover relies on Equifax ,(658) so I applied online for the IT unsecured and was immediately rejected.  When I inquired about CRA, was told Experian , my worst (545) due to 2016 charge off.  My fault, of course, should not have assumed that info out there is that reliable.  Also makes me wonder if they communicate false info to these websites.  In the mean time, I now have that inquiry on my report. The irony is, I would have been okay with the secured card.  Now I am reluctant to apply for any card -- and I really need more lines as I am down to  two baddies but added only one line thus far.  

Any suggestions as to when I can apply?  I had no inquires on my report - but wound up with three - all at once - because I went to an auto lease broker a few months ago and did not realize that each dealer would place an inquiry.

So, yes, very disappointed in Discover, as well as my own less than stellar judgement on this one.

You could start your own topic.

You’re more than welcome to post here but most of us that contribute to this thread will tell you to pass on Discover.

On 12/4/2017 at 4:56 AM, mendelssohn said:

Limited Acceptance:

world_map_us.jpg

CB Trip Reports:

Poor customer service:

Declined Transactions:

Rewards Issues:

Closed Accounts:

Discover Fan Club:

Additional Reading:

I have no problems with Discover. The 5% categories are great. I think I've only contacted their customer service once, but they were very helpful and easy to understand since they are all American. They have regular 0% balance transfer offers. I don't understand the hate for them.

39 minutes ago, ccn3 said:

I have no problems with Discover. The 5% categories are great. I think I've only contacted their customer service once, but they were very helpful and easy to understand since they are all American. They have regular 0% balance transfer offers. I don't understand the hate for them.

Plus everyone else 👍 (with the exception of the 'active' 2 or 3 haters).

On 2/14/2017 at 11:18 PM, Konrad2012 said:

But mostly I like to complain about them to watch Kat meltdown.

Those were the good old days.

1 hour ago, ccn3 said:

You'd hate my spouse.  Last night he referred to flour tortillas as "horizontal breads." 

Here is a useful reference if you are having difficulty understanding another perspective:

33 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

You'd hate my spouse.  Last night he referred to flour tortillas as "horizontal breads." 

Here is a useful reference if you are having difficulty understanding another perspective:

I haven't seen anything that couldn't be said about any other card except for limited acceptance, but who cares unless it's your only card.

46 minutes ago, ccn3 said:

I haven't seen anything that couldn't be said about any other card except for limited acceptance, but who cares unless it's your only card.

the-eye-chart.jpg

18 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

the-eye-chart.jpg

Thanks for posting this! I've been swapping out various contact lens strengths all day trying to find the sweet spot. True story.

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

Last night he referred to flour tortillas as "horizontal breads." 

Toaster-oven-reviews.jpg

Special toaster for horizontal breads.
For if too many pizzas can make hot tomorrow.