Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

NFCU App

The last post in this topic was posted 1229 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I am thinking of joining NFCU to get a credit cards and wondered what your thoughts are on me getting at least a 20k credit line? Overall utilization at 28%. I have one card at 86% due to it being a low APR not that it helps with my score. I have attached screenshots of my latest scores as of today.

fico1_zpssagastie.png

My understanding is NFCU is generous with credit limits. I would like to transfer some of the balance over from my high utilization card to them helping my utilization.

I dont want to take a chance applying for a regular card getting some lame limit that won't allow me to move over 5k without killing utilization on a new card. Thoughts?

My understanding is NFCU is generous with credit limits. I would like to transfer some of the balance over from my high utilization card to them helping my utilization.

I dont want to take a chance applying for a regular card getting some lame limit that won't allow me to move over 5k without killing utilization on a new card. Thoughts?

NFCU goes off your mortgage scores but with your Fico 8 looking like that I don't see a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on your current profile and protfolio, you can still potentially get a Chase Slate. If you already have a Chase personal credit account, you can find it under "Your Offers" after logging in. If you've combined your personal and business logins, it you might not be able to do this. Chase has been rolling out updates for their dashboard, and not every feature is available under every type of account.

You don't have to settle for Enneffseeyou with your scores. Aim higher.

Why would getting NFCU products be settling? I am curious about your position. They give nice starting limits with low APR's. (yes I know APR doesn't matter).

But again where is the settling? Also, what products should they be aiming for then?

I am also personally curious as I have similar scores to that poster.

Edited by precision

Why would getting NFCU products be settling? I am curious about your position. They give nice starting limits with low APR's. (yes I know APR doesn't matter).

But again where is the settling? Also, what products should they be aiming for then?

They give nice limits when your credit blows chipmunks. That's their niche.

Once you're prime you can get great limits AND great rewards from the mainstream issuers, and there will be a line of companies around the block willing to do cheap BTs.

Once you're prime you can get great limits AND great rewards from the mainstream issuers, and there will be a line of companies around the block willing to do cheap BTs.

I see your point. Kinda.

It seems that the cashRewards, GoRewards and Flagship products while not industry leading are still competitive.

But back to your point about having prime FICO's; I wish at least in my case that was the only measuring stick. Granted I am only 4.5 months into this but even when I had an 833 TU 2 months ago I wasn't getting 5 digit limits likely due to my thin report. Also why I likely didn't get a better SL with NFCU.

In GIJoe's case I think that he needs to supply some more details before solid direction can be given. For instance, how many accounts in the past six months? How many cards over 30% utilization? Which lenders? What is the high limit? How do lenders look at 28% total utilization? etc..

Edited by precision

What company's are these "mainstream issuer's" Im a member of NFCU and they obvisously give outstanding credit limits with members that have or have had a few bumps along the way. I for one love them and they have awesome customer service with great choices of cards,

Chase, Crap1, UNFCU

Thank you sir. I messed up with CRAP1 2 years ago so i guess i cant get in with them anymore lol And just got approved for a chase freedom unlimited 1 week ago for $1000.00 so hopefully my cli will be big over a year's time

Well, if the OP wants an NFCU card, he should be able to (depending on income, of course) get $25K right out of the gate with those scores.

Don't I wish....

Chase, Crap1, UNFCU

Thank you sir. I messed up with CRAP1 2 years ago so i guess i cant get in with them anymore lol And just got approved for a chase freedom unlimited 1 week ago for $1000.00 so hopefully my cli will be big over a year's time

Don't bet on it. Most data points don't support Chase giving great CLI's and unless its an auto CLI (which likely will not be great) it will require a HP.

Also, many data points support once you develop a good relationship with Chase or Cap1 that you apply for a new card and hope for a better limit. Then you can take some of the CL from the old card to pad the new card. However the old card has to have at least $500 left on it. Then keep in mind Chase's 5/24 rule while you are planning any moves.

Edited by precision

I see your point. Kinda.

It seems that the cashRewards, GoRewards and Flagship products while not industry leading are still competitive.

But back to your point about having prime FICO's; I wish at least in my case that was the only measuring stick. Granted I am only 4.5 months into this but even when I had an 833 TU 2 months ago I wasn't getting 5 digit limits likely due to my thin report. Also why I likely didn't get a better SL with NFCU.

In GIJoe's case I think that he needs to supply some more details before solid direction can be given. For instance, how many accounts in the past six months? How many cards over 30% utilization? Which lenders? What is the high limit? How do lenders look at 28% total utilization? etc..

Okay so you know my scores. I have 10 credit cards, many with 0 balance. My current credit union credit card has a high balance ( 8.6% APR) has a 11k balance with a 15k limit. I have 60k combined credit limit among all cards of which I am using 15,500 to give you a better idea. No lates..average age of accounts is 7 years. I have no inquiries whatsoever in the past 2 years. I still have to pinch myself that I am in the 760s. Never thought I would get there from the 610s a few years ago! What a mouse that was LOL. Thanks to all for your comments/advice. My highest limit is the 15k card. I just want an additional card with at least 15k if not 20k. I figured NFCU was my best option unless someone has another opinion? Not looking for rewards really. Low apr with a high limit that allows balance transfers.

The last post in this topic was posted 1229 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.