Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

27" iMac: Upgrade or Replace?

I'd ship it.  Might want to check FedEx as well, as I typically find their rates to be cheaper.  If you decide to check it maybe pack it in the original box inside a larger suitcase with padding surrounding the box. 

55 minutes ago, CTSoxFan said:

I'd ship it.  Might want to check FedEx as well, as I typically find their rates to be cheaper.  If you decide to check it maybe pack it in the original box inside a larger suitcase with padding surrounding the box. 

I inherit UPS discounts with my sub-account under my employer's (Ground is ~20%).  FedEx Ground at retail is never a better option cost-wise.  

Discounts on UPS overnight services are significantly larger than that, but for an item that weighs this much it wouldn't make sense.

Not sure I have any large suitcases in SD any more, but I'll check when I get back there on Wednesday.  

Posted (edited)

I'm under the impression that the two best times to buy computers are around the December holidays and about now, which is "back to school" season. Should I wait another month?  Am I misinformed on timing?

I've now spent longer pondering what to do about replacing this computer than I spent deciding on my last car, but I think I'm going to buy a new 27" iMac from Apple so I can get $270 back on my old one through the Apple trade-in program.

I'm hellbent on buying the latest model with the slowest CPU, and would only be persuaded otherwise if the faster CPU is virtually (or actually) the same price.

From the Education Store I can get the latest-model (3.0 GHz version) for $1,699 with "free" Beats headphones, but the headphones are worth as much to me as a Smuckers jar full of urine.

Through my employer's Apple purchase program I can get slightly better pricing at $1,691, with no useless headphones.  Post trade-in, net cost would be $1,421 + tax and the stupid California recycling fee.

eRnWVjc.png

Edited by cv91915

On 7/24/2019 at 6:16 AM, cv91915 said:

I'm under the impression that the two best times to buy computers are around the December holidays and about now, which is "back to school" season. Should I wait another month?  Am I misinformed on timing?

I've now spent longer pondering what to do about replacing this computer than I spent deciding on my last car, but I think I'm going to buy a new 27" iMac from Apple so I can get $270 back on my old one through the Apple trade-in program.

I'm hellbent on buying the latest model with the slowest CPU, and would only be persuaded otherwise if the faster CPU is virtually (or actually) the same price.

From the Education Store I can get the latest-model (3.0 GHz version) for $1,699 with "free" Beats headphones, but the headphones are worth as much to me as a Smuckers jar full of urine.

Through my employer's Apple purchase program I can get slightly better pricing at $1,691, with no useless headphones.  Post trade-in, net cost would be $1,421 + tax and the stupid California recycling fee.

eRnWVjc.png

I just ordered this from Apple for a net cost of $1,421, after trading in my current iMac for $270.

I paid with my newly-upgraded Amex BCP (took an upgrade offer for a $250 statement credit after spending $1,000).

Net pre-tax cost after paying the prorated BCP AF (~$50 for the remainder of the cardmember year) is $1,221....  plus I have two extra years of warranty from Amex.

... and I can still recoup some of the prorated AF by getting 6% back on groceries on the BCP instead of 4.5% back on my Altitude Reserve (with Apple Pay).

I am thinking of getting a ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2 or a P1 Gen 2 to replace my 460P.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/X1-Extreme-Gen-2/p/22TP2TXX1E2

Fully configured model can go up to $5,000. I am planning on getting a model with I-7, minimum RAM, and HDD and upgrading those myself for ~ $1,000. That should reduce the total cost to under $4,000.

Anyone want a used ThinkPad T460P?

Posted (edited)

I have a ThinkPad as my work PC.  Every other week, I have to open it up, remove the battery (it only has an internal battery) and do a system reset because the USB-C port will not accept the charger/dock.  This is not unique to my PC either.  Needless to say this experience has left me with a sour impression of Lenovo.

I bought a MacBook at the end of last year and I couldn't be happier.  Lightweight yet powerful (mine was fully speced out), plus it links with my phone and iPad. I partitioned out a portion of the HDD for a Windows box in case I should ever need it.  I think I have booted Windows 10 times or less in the past 8 months.  I never thought I would move away full time from a PC, but I did and haven't looked back.

Edited by CTSoxFan

3 hours ago, credit_help said:

I am thinking of getting a ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2 or a P1 Gen 2 to replace my 460P.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/X1-Extreme-Gen-2/p/22TP2TXX1E2

Fully configured model can go up to $5,000. I am planning on getting a model with I-7, minimum RAM, and HDD and upgrading those myself for ~ $1,000. That should reduce the total cost to under $4,000.

Anyone want a used ThinkPad T460P?

2 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

I have a ThinkPad as my work PC.  Every other week, I have to open it up, remove the battery (it only has an internal battery) and do a system reset because the USB-C port will not accept the charger/dock.  This is not unique to my PC either.  Needless to say this experience has left me with a sour impression of Lenovo.

I bought a MacBook at the end of last year and I couldn't be happier.  Lightweight yet powerful (mine was fully speced out), plus it links with my phone and iPad. I partitioned out a portion of the HDD for a Windows box in case I should ever need it.  I think I have booted Windows 10 times or less in the past 8 months.  I never thought I would move away full time from a PC, but I did and haven't looked back.

About 90 days ago I got a new work-issued X1.  I like it a lot.

On 7/24/2019 at 6:16 AM, cv91915 said:

eRnWVjc.png

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I just ordered this from Apple for a net cost of $1,421, after trading in my current iMac for $270.

I paid with my newly-upgraded Amex BCP (took an upgrade offer for a $250 statement credit after spending $1,000).

Net pre-tax cost after paying the prorated BCP AF (~$50 for the remainder of the cardmember year) is $1,221....  plus I have two extra years of warranty from Amex.

... and I can still recoup some of the prorated AF by getting 6% back on groceries on the BCP instead of 4.5% back on my Altitude Reserve (with Apple Pay).

Now I need to figure out if the memory I added to the old iMac is compatible with the new one.  

Is it the Carbon?
How’s the screen? Is it just touch enabled?

15 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Now I need to figure out if the memory I added to the old iMac is compatible with the new one.  

Highly unlikely.

15 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I don't have an X series unfortunately, maybe that is the issue.  I had a Lenovo P50 from my last job which was quite a solid machine.  Maybe it's just the T480s's that suck, or mine in particular.

12 hours ago, credit_help said:

Is it the Carbon?
How’s the screen? Is it just touch enabled?

Third Generation X1 Yoga (according to the tag on the bottom).  

Touch yes, and the screen is great.  

Only minor complaint is that it will only get "so bright" when you adjust the brightness manually, however the screen gets even brighter than the highest setting when it adjusts on its own (room fills with sunlight, for example).  Makes no sense.

I don't have an X series unfortunately, maybe that is the issue.  I had a Lenovo P50 from my last job which was quite a solid machine.  Maybe it's just the T480s's that suck, or mine in particular.

The issue may be with Microsoft and Intel. I used to have my 460P stuck on boot screen at Windows logo after Windows updates. It was very bad in 2017 and 2018 but not anymore. I had to restart the computer for a few times until it boots successfully. I rarely have this issue now.

Have you checked Lenovo updates?

The transition from the old iMac to the new one has not been without challenges.  I used Migration Assistant to move everything.  

Every email in my inbox is somehow linked to some random other email message (as the Apple Mail client links messages when you hit Reply or Forward).

Examples:  

- Confirmation email for my oil change appointment on Saturday morning linked to a Wells Fargo ACH confirmation email from 2017.

- Bank of America Travel Rewards statement notification from early July linked to an advertising email from Gotham Cigars from 2016.

- BMW lease payment reminder email linked to a 2017 email notification from AA notifying me of an upgrade from DFW-CDG.

I also had an awful time trying to uninstall and reinstall Sophos.  I eventually resorted to some manual removal steps I found online, but that went horribly wrong so I had to restore the system from a Time Machine backup because the OS wouldn't load.

I cannot get my new iMac to recognize my WD My Cloud NAS device, so nothing is syncing.  The My Cloud device requires an astonishing number of apps to run and configure/set up, so I'm having a horrible time figuring out how to fix this.