Equifax refusing to remove balance, even with proof! Help!

cs916

The last post in this topic was posted 1875 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

So long story short, I had an account with AT&T that I closed a little over a year ago, then moved right after I closed it. I did not realize I had an outstanding balance, and was not contacted over it because I moved. It hit my credit over last summer, and I immediately contacted AT&T and paid it off in full.

Within a month the balance came off both my Transunion and Experian credit reports, but not Equifax.

Since then, over the last 6 months I have disputed the balance with Equifax 7 times. Contacted the debt collection agency, Diversified Consultants, several times and verified that the balance is paid and it should be off my credit. In December I finally was able to reach the "compliance" department with DCI and was given a letter that I can use as proof that the balance on my credit report is wrong, along with assurances that they have submitted to the credit agencies that the balance is zero.

I disputed the balance yet again, both attaching the letter electronically, and faxing it to Equifax. Just yesterday I receive a notice that the account is correct on my credit report and that they amount if verified with DCI.

Here is what the dispute investigation says: "The results are: This creditor has verified to OUR company that the balance is being reported correctly. If you have additional questions about this item please contact: Diversified Consultants"

I called Equifax and they stated they attached the letter I gave them for verification with DCI and DCI verified the balance is still there. But I called DCI and they said they show a $0 balance and it should be off my credit now.

I'm really at a loss what to do at this point. I feel like I'm getting the run around both DCI and Equifax are blaming the other. DCI is actually very helpful and cooperative every time I call, but Equifax is hard to deal with. Anyone have any suggestions on the next step I should take? I'm seriously considering hiring an attorney at this point.

• Admin

A lot of times data suppliers automate their E-Oscar response to disputes. Just like setting up filters in an email client to auto respond. Perhaps you should contact the collection agency again, and ask to speak to someone in charge of compliance, who would handle their E-Oscar team. They can flash a fix on the spot if so inclined.

• 10 months later...

The last post in this topic was posted 1875 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.