Sign in to follow this  
pendleton94

Closing account correctly

I was recently approved for my 2nd Bank of America card and I figured I'd close out my Wells checking and savings and move my funds to my Bank of America accounts.

Do I write a check out to myself to bring the balance to 0 before closing or do I need to leave some money in the account and take out remaining cash at closing?

I have 2k in my checking and 3k in my savings

Edited by pendleton94

You can contact them by phone, in person, or by online chat to close your account. They'll have a check sent to you with the balance left in the account unless you have other instructions for them. While I've never done it, I don't see why you couldn't send the balance somewhere else first and then close the account.

I advise closing the account in writing, and getting written confirmation (or a statement with a zero balance). Too many horror stories of verbally closing over the phone - and then 4-5 months later the account is mysteriously overdrawn, charged off and sent to Chexsystems. If you call them over the phone, it is just your word against theirs for the closure.

I would suggest they mail you a check and then close your account and verify it writing and multiple calls until it's official. I closed a Wells Fargo account that tool 3 months to close and the same with citi. When I did it in person it was closed at once.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I meant to say that I would close it in person, I just didn't know if it mattered if I walked that much cash out of there (WF) to Bank of America?

Edited by pendleton94

I meant to say that I would close it in person, I just didn't know if it mattered if I walked that much cash out of there (WF) to Bank of America?

You can have them write you a check. I had the fee for a cashier's check waived for an account closure, and the way it was stated this appeared to be standard procedure. Having said that, I have had issues neither withdrawing about $10,000 from Wells Fargo nor depositing around the same amount to BofA. Some Wells Fargo locations have given myself and others complimentary money bags to go with a large withdrawal. Be aware that my experience with any of this is from over five years ago.