Sign in to follow this  
Matti

Chase Fairmont Visa Signature

I'm looking over the points redemption offers.

1 $25 dollar gift card for 2,500 points (several to pick from). not sure if you can combine these points with URs... Anyone know?

You can't combine with URs. I used my points for a Fairmont gift card.

The draw for the card was the bonus nights plus certificates in your account to use for meals.. Lake Louise and Banff properties are both really worth a visit if you have never been.

I'm sort of figuring a way to use them for Chateau Frontenac in Quebec. Probably purchase one additional night. Just 3 day blocks where I can sneak in on a good airfare rate and weighing the winter festivities vs warmer fall hues.

I'm sort of figuring a way to use them for Chateau Frontenac in Quebec. Probably purchase one additional night. Just 3 day blocks where I can sneak in on a good airfare rate and weighing the winter festivities vs warmer fall hues.

Since this card is probably history I thought I'd keep my question here to consolidate the dump space.

I'm trying to figure out how it would be best to book a three night Fairmont stay with the two free night credits awarded by this card, and hoping to pick the brains of anyone who has experience with this

Iv'e got two rough plans in mind.

1) book 1 night with cash with Amex Platinum to get the $100 dining credit that seems to be associated with that card's fine hotels program and collect the 5 MRs per dollar.

or

2) book 1 night through NFCU's Flagship travel portal to use points (~35,000 pts for the entry level non-refundable to ~49,000 pts for a river view refundable)

Then using the 2 free night certificates to extend it to a 3 night reservation.

I also plan on using either the suite upgrade or the room upgrade on this stay to get whichever room option seems more appealing if that makes sense. That may well turn out to be a room with a river view rather than a suite and... I'm wondering how Fairmont tends to handle these room upgrades.

My thought Is that I should probably book a refundable room with a river view for my first night in the belief that if that's where I end up for the three days that would be just fine and that they may make an even nicer room available if that is in the cards during this particular weekend.

Anyway... I guess I'm just looking for your story if you have one.

We were able to use the two free nights and the upgrade certificates for the same stay at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. We LOVED this stay. One of the most beautiful places we've been. https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=574223&p=5562938

Do you have time to hit the minimum spend on a new card? You could do the Citi Expedia card... the SUB is worth $375 in hotel stays, and you can book Fairmonts on their site. This could be an option to pay for the third night.

We were able to use the two free nights and the upgrade certificates for the same stay at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. We LOVED this stay. One of the most beautiful places we've been. https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=574223&p=5562938

Do you have time to hit the minimum spend on a new card? You could do the Citi Expedia card... the SUB is worth $375 in hotel stays, and you can book Fairmonts on their site. This could be an option to pay for the third night.

I'm saving myself for Chase. At least for the time being.

But thanks to a certain NFCU promotion that's ongoing I'll be getting an effective 72% discount on the room rate if I chose that option. Due to flight schedules and such the third night will make it a two days and evenings in Quebec city which is probably just right. Iv'e always wanted to visit Quebec, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to check that box.

Lake Louise looks really beautiful. Being on the eastern side of the US makes it a bit further afield and I have heard the availability is relatively scarce.

The flight portion should be about 80% covered by accumulated United Travel Bank funds (courtesy of Amex) ... so about 250-300 out of pocket under plan 2 for a little more than 2k worth of face value bookings.

I just have to work out what to do in Quebec city for 48 hours.

I'm saving myself for Chase. At least for the time being.

But thanks to a certain NFCU promotion that's ongoing I'll be getting an effective 72% discount on the room rate if I chose that option. Due to flight schedules and such the third night will make it a two days and evenings in Quebec city which is probably just right. Iv'e always wanted to visit Quebec, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to check that box.

Lake Louise looks really beautiful. Being on the eastern side of the US makes it a bit further afield and I have heard the availability is relatively scarce.

The flight portion should be about 80% covered by accumulated United Travel Bank funds (courtesy of Amex) ... so about 250-300 out of pocket under plan 2 for a little more than 2k worth of face value bookings.

I just have to work out what to do in Quebec city for 48 hours.

Try this for some ideas for Quebec City: https://www.toursbylocals.com/TBL/WebObjects/ToursByLocals.woa/1/wa/searchHomepageForToursInPlace?wosid=jl3UB9qdsObWwavo9BjpIw

Thanks cv,

Question for those who have used the Fairmont card's points to buy the Fairmont gift card or for those that used the free nights... did you have additional charges during your stay that this card was or could have been useful in defraying?

Not very.

My room upgrades expire in February and the free nights expire in March (the anniversary of getting the account and of hitting the bonus)

Does anyone know if the free night for $12,000 annual spend is awarded as soon as the spend is completed or at the end of the calendar year.

I had this card a couple years ago and the free night for 12k spend was not awarded until your anniversary date.
Thanks.

I've been reading all the blog comments and that's the impression I was starting to get.

Could be worth it to someone planning a January trip that wanted to add a third night certificate. You could even do a 2 paid night 3rd night free booking and add the 2 (or 3 in January) to make it a 5 or 6 night stay.

That's probably not me though. Looking like 3k and done.

Looks like this may be changed for the wrap up of this card.

https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=595415&do=findComment&comment=5649025

The Letter being sent out says this card will be converted to Sapphire Preferred on August 15th.

It goes on to say that. If you have had this card for less than a year and spent 6000 on the card Chase will award a one time complimentary night to your account within 8-10 weeks of the 15th of August (as I read it)

I'd think most people who got this card in January would be interested in that as it awards the night at least several months in advance of prior awards and for only half the spend.

I ended up booking the three nights at the original hotel in SF and used the Suite upgrade for a Jr Suite there in December.

I plan on using both $25 dining certs at the Tonga Room. I've never been to a Tiki bar/restaurant so it seems like it would be a good first for that.

This card really paid out for me. Aside from wasting 2,500 points (that ended up getting converted to URs) on a 0.01 gift card redemption. The redeemed (member rate) value of the SUB and dining certs will end up at ~$1,985, and the card got converted to a 5/24 card that allowed me to transfer some URs to United to fly there. Still 3 months to go before the first fee hits.

I just noticed that I have a new set of certificates in my Fairmont account. 3rd night, room and suite upgrades, and two $25 dining/spa certs. I wasn't expecting these and I'm not sure if it's a mistake or some standard program thing they have at this time.

They are dated May 1st and expire February 28th.

I'm going to a concert tonight a fee blocks from a Fairmont, so I may test the dining certs.

I just noticed that I have a new set of certificates in my Fairmont account. 3rd night, room and suite upgrades, and two $25 dining/spa certs. I wasn't expecting these and I'm not sure if it's a mistake or some standard program thing they have at this time.

I'm going to a concert tonight a fee blocks from a Fairmont, so I may test the dining certs.

Nice. I just booked three nights at the Fairmont in Chicago in September for a quick trip to visit friends.

I was hoping to find a couple of stray unexpired upgrade (or other) certs in my Presidents Club account, but there were none.

I haven't had the card in a couple of years, so no surprise.

I wish this card was still around.

Table 31.........................5/12/2018

Guests 2......................7:21:54 PM

1 Pisco Sour.........................12.00

1 Hell's Kitchen Manh..........14.00

1 Simple Green......................9.00

1 Cheese & Char Half..........13.00

1 Ratatouilie...........................9.00

1 Sea Bass...........................26.00

1 Catoctin creek round.........10.00

.........Manhattan Up...............3.00

.................Food: ..................57.00

...............Liquor: ..................39.00

......SUBTOTAL: ..................96.00

........Sales Tax: .....................3.99

.......Liquor Tax: .....................2.73

...........CREDIT: .................(50.00)

.............TOTAL: ..................52.72

Nice. I just booked three nights at the Fairmont in Chicago in September for a quick trip to visit friends.

I was hoping to find a couple of stray unexpired upgrade (or other) certs in my Presidents Club account, but there were none.

They mailed out info on the additional certs. They're all legit (and if you care to actually charge a few more nights you'll automatically get them again for next year).

CV, I just stayed at Fairmont Millennium. Upgraded to a suite using my cert (which was a very nice suite). But I'll say this: of all the Fairmont's I've stayed at... this one was the worst. A bit run down; customer service was touch and go depending; the whole thing a bit lackluster. Great location... but a poor Fairmont representation.

​I'll be curious to hear your experience.

They mailed out info on the additional certs. They're all legit (and if you care to actually charge a few more nights you'll automatically get them again for next year).

CV, I just stayed at Fairmont Millennium. Upgraded to a suite using my cert (which was a very nice suite). But I'll say this: of all the Fairmont's I've stayed at... this one was the worst. A bit run down; customer service was touch and go depending; the whole thing a bit lackluster. Great location... but a poor Fairmont representation.

​I'll be curious to hear your experience.

My Fairmont experience is limited to the one on Lake Louise, which we enjoyed.

I'll try to remember to update this after my Chicago stay. I got a great deal on the room.