Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

The Master How Many Payment Networks Do You Have in Your Wallet?

Amex

Visa

Mastercard

JCB

UnionPay

Discovery

what am I missing?

Diners Club

We could also add all the debit processors like Maestro, Star etc but I don't want to give you a stroke over the holidays ;)

There are a few minor networks within the United States of which I am aware:

• Amazon (Synchrony, any Amazon Payments purchase)
  • CarCareONE (Synchrony, mostly automotive)
  • Care Credit (Synchrony, mostly medical)
  • CFNA (Bridgestone, mostly automotive)
  • Fleet One (WEX Inc., mostly fuel)
  • Fuelman (FleetCor, mostly fuel)
  • PayPal Credit (Comenity, any PayPal network purchase, formerly known as Bill Me Later)
  • Voyager (US Bank, mostly Fuel)
  • WEX (WEX Inc., mostly fuel, formerly known as Wright Express)

I excluded non-credit networks (NYCE, Pulse, Stsr), networks for which no US products are available (BCCard, Diner's Club International, RuPay), and networks which are limited to a set of stores owned by the same company (Fingerhut, Lowe's, Shell).

these smaller networks don't have USA credit cards issued on them, right? Diners, for instance, in the USA is issued on the MC network IIRC.

these smaller networks don't have USA credit cards issued on them, right? Diners, for instance, in the USA is issued on the MC network IIRC.

To my knowledge there are no cards issued in the United States that operate directly on the Diner's Club network. Diner's Club USA has a card issued through BMO Harris that operates only on the MasterCard network even when Diner's Club is available. Discover network cards operate on the Diner's Club network when the Discover network is unavailable.

Every card in my list except for PayPal Credit has at least one physical card issued that can be used at at least one physical location that is not under the ownership of the card issuer. E.g.:

• The Amazon card is stated to work at any online or physical location that accepts Amazon Payments as a processor. All non-Prime benefits are available at all locations that accept the card.
  • Care Credit works at a small variety of clinics, drug stores, and other medical-related locations. Synchrony apparently hopes to expand acceptance to larger national chains - currently limited to Rite Aid - but there are also reports that they're working to get a major payment network, MasterCard, on the card.
  • There are a few Voyager cards available through different issuers that all work at a relatively large number of locations, mostly fuel and automotive service.

Is Diners Club it's own network?

For me it's just a simple list:

Visa

MC

Amex

Discover stays at home and has only been used online for this quarter's Amazon rewards category.

Visa

MC

Amex

Discover stays at home and has only been used online for this quarter's Amazon rewards category.

The Diner's Club and Discover networks are supposed to be completely interchangeable and are operated by the same parent company. This is in contrast to Discover's partnerships with JCB, RuPay, Mercury, China UnionPay, etc. where the networks are owned and operated by third parties. However, DFS maintains Diner's Club as a separate product.

Visa

MasterCard

Amex

CFNA

Synchrony

Comenity

There are separate Synchrony and Comenity networks? Or are you talking about store cards?

Visa

MC

Amex

The Diner's Club and Discover networks are supposed to be completely interchangeable and are operated by the same parent company. This is in contrast to Discover's partnerships with JCB, RuPay, Mercury, China UnionPay, etc. where the networks are owned and operated by third parties. However, DFS maintains Diner's Club as a separate product.

Visa

MasterCard

Amex

CFNA

Synchrony

Comenity

There are separate Synchrony and Comenity networks? Or are you talking about store cards?

Store cards.

I have a Visa and a gasoline card. Oh, and I have a Neiman Marcus card in case you want to send someone a gift.

What do you have?

Chalmer's Big and Tall men's shop. It's a seven outlet chain in the pacific northwest. Great stuff. Unfortunately, it does us no good here.