Sign in to follow this  
jlplummer

Capital One is ridiculous! TY CB

I called Capital One yesterday to request removal of the annual fee from my Quicksilver One. Well, The gentleman I spoke with just couldn't understand that " I do not need to pay an annual fee for a Credit card with only a measly $1550 CL. I told him this is my only card with a fee so close it please! I am not willing to pay for credit! Its been 10 years since I started rebuilding and now have FICO's in the 760-770 range. I don't need your card. " That felt good to say! :blush2:

Thank You CB for all the education and Knowledge you put out there. I wouldn't of done it with out you!

Congrats. I actually felt like having a battle with them yesterday when I tried to get my monthly $5 waived for the current month. After 2 chat agents and a call to a supervisor, with whom I berated for her poor customer service, I lost the battle. I can't wait to close my two Crap 1 QS1 cards. My old MC & Visa were PC into these cards and the old terms came with the change. ($75 annual fee and $5 monthly fee). The $75 card will renew in May. My delimna is that these are my two oldest cards. I do not know what to do... I want to get a Venture card with no AF and product change the old ones into the new one.. but I think I lose the old age of the accounts if I do. I'm waiting for some baddies to drop before I apply; around March. The system will not let me combine accounts right now.. but if I get a new card, I want to combine both of them into one single Crap1.

So, you guys called them up and bashed their service and product? What result did you expect with that behavior? Have you ever worked in customer service?

Congrats. I actually felt like having a battle with them yesterday when I tried to get my monthly $5 waived for the current month. After 2 chat agents and a call to a supervisor, with whom I berated for her poor customer service, I lost the battle. I can't wait to close my two Crap 1 QS1 cards. My old MC & Visa were PC into these cards and the old terms came with the change. ($75 annual fee and $5 monthly fee). The $75 card will renew in May. My delimna is that these are my two oldest cards. I do not know what to do... I want to get a Venture card with no AF and product change the old ones into the new one.. but I think I lose the old age of the accounts if I do. I'm waiting for some baddies to drop before I apply; around March. The system will not let me combine accounts right now.. but if I get a new card, I want to combine both of them into one single Crap1.

You won't lose the age of the old accts if you combine them to a new venture....well, at least not for 10 yrs. Those 'old' accts will continue to report to the credit bureaus for 10 yrs.

When accts are closed, you do however lose the credit limit of that acct that was being factored in to your overall credit lines and utilization %.

Edited by monger

I called Capital One yesterday to request removal of the annual fee from my Quicksilver One. ...

How much use did you put on the card?

Did you ask them if they could refund the fee?

I felt the same way about my QS1 card for many months. Trying to give it use with a 300 dollar limit was no fun. Not much more fun with the 700 dollar limit. But the one (several) thing(s) I'll say about Cap One: They have a way forward with CLIs and got me up to 3,800 by the cards first anniversary, they did waive the fee when I asked 6 month after they charged it, and they credit your cash back as soon as the transaction posts.

If you put use on their cards, add another card with a sign up bonus down the road and do the same and combine them you can grow the credit line a lot better than with some other issuers.

Edited by mec

I called Capital One yesterday to request removal of the annual fee from my Quicksilver One. Well, The gentleman I spoke with just couldn't understand that " I do not need to pay an annual fee for a Credit card with only a measly $1550 CL. I told him this is my only card with a fee so close it please! I am not willing to pay for credit! Its been 10 years since I started rebuilding and now have FICO's in the 760-770 range. I don't need your card. " That felt good to say! :blush2:

Thank You CB for all the education and Knowledge you put out there. I wouldn't of done it with out you!

Did you ever ask them to upgrade you from a QS1 to a regular QS?

That would of eliminated the fee.

.... ($75 annual fee and $5 monthly fee). The $75 card will renew in May. My delimna is that these are my two oldest cards. I do not know what to do... I want to get a Venture card with no AF and product change the old ones into the new one.. but I think I lose the old age of the accounts if I do. ....

I don't think any of their current cards have a fee structure like that.

Did you say that is a QS1 & what year did you get it?

So, you guys called them up and bashed their service and product? What result did you expect with that behavior? Have you ever worked in customer service?

Quite the assumptions you have.

Quite the assumptions you have.

Those aren't assumptions. Those are evaluations based on the stories that were told.

.... ($75 annual fee and $5 monthly fee). The $75 card will renew in May. My dilemma is that these are my two oldest cards. I do not know what to do... I want to get a Venture card with no AF and product change the old ones into the new one.. but I think I lose the old age of the accounts if I do. ....

I don't think any of their current cards have a fee structure like that. They don't.. but they pre qualified offered me the QS1 card only if accept my prior terms from old Platinum accounts (2003 opened; AF were added midway thru the history of these cards, if I remember correctly). I told them at the time, a few months ago, that why don't I just get a new QS1 instead with a $39 rate? Which i could have done. But I did not want to mess with the cards (my only two open accounts at the time) as I was getting good points because of their age. Plus my limits were only 700-750 for each. My plan was to combine them after CLI and that my $75 AF was already paid for on one until next May. So why pay $39 now, albeit a lower rate, for the same thing? And the monthly $5 fee card would get combined. The bottom line is that their is too much baggage with these two cards. So I need new cards and roll existing credit into it and I guess forgo keeping it age as open accounts.

Did you say that is a QS1 & what year did you get it? I product changed my two Plats into QS1 a few months ago. The platinum's were opened in 2003. So I'm just confused on best way to retain the age.

I think you lost if you closed the card. I was able to get an annual fee waived by being polite and respectful. Thanks Capital One!

.... ($75 annual fee and $5 monthly fee). The $75 card will renew in May. My dilemma is that these are my two oldest cards. I do not know what to do... I want to get a Venture card with no AF and product change the old ones into the new one.. but I think I lose the old age of the accounts if I do. ....

I don't think any of their current cards have a fee structure like that. They don't.. but they pre qualified offered me the QS1 card only if accept my prior terms from old Platinum accounts (2003 opened; AF were added midway thru the history of these cards, if I remember correctly). I told them at the time, a few months ago, that why don't I just get a new QS1 instead with a $39 rate? Which i could have done. But I did not want to mess with the cards (my only two open accounts at the time) as I was getting good points because of their age. Plus my limits were only 700-750 for each. My plan was to combine them after CLI and that my $75 AF was already paid for on one until next May. So why pay $39 now, albeit a lower rate, for the same thing? And the monthly $5 fee card would get combined. The bottom line is that their is too much baggage with these two cards. So I need new cards and roll existing credit into it and I guess forgo keeping it age as open accounts.

Did you say that is a QS1 & what year did you get it? I product changed my two Plats into QS1 a few months ago. The platinum's were opened in 2003. So I'm just confused on best way to retain the age.

That's too bad. It sucks to loose a nicely aged account like that but at least it will keep helping you for another 10 years. If you work on adding good no fee accounts now you will be able to mitigate the effect down the road but you will take a hit then. No reason you wouldn't be able to have at least high 700s then thought. Maybe worth it to try the Executive Office before closing though.

I think you lost if you closed the card. I was able to get an annual fee waived by being polite and respectful. Thanks Capital One!

I was polite until they were not and where they gave canned answers without providing any critical thinking skills to my questions. Capital One still is crap. I've been asking politely for many years. The cards I have are on some secret double probation. I really do think so because I had high util for many years. And the good thing is; I have paid zero interest in the last 3 months, sans the fees. Last month, I did manage to have the $5 fee waived because I had a half decent person on the other end of the line. But when a supervisor tells me it is not possible that is when things go south.

Edited by flanative

I was polite until they were not and where they gave canned answers without providing any critical thinking skills to my questions. Capital One still is crap. I've been asking politely for many years. The cards I have are on some secret double probation. I really do think so because I had high util for many years. And the good thing is; I have paid zero interest in the last 3 months, sans the fees. Last month, I did manage to have the $5 fee waived because I had a half decent person on the other end of the line. But when a supervisor tells me it is not possible that is when things go south.

You just have to remain calm and be persistent. To get my fees waived, I had to chat a couple times. It was mildly irritating to have to do it more than once before I got the answer that I wanted, but honestly, I knew the card had a fee when I signed up for it.

I'd suggest taking the more persistent but calm route, otherwise I'd also say you lost this "battle" as you call it. Berate their customer service and product all you want, but they served you a purpose which I'd assume helped you out quite a bit by giving you the rebuilding card in the first place.

I'd suggest taking the more persistent but calm route, otherwise I'd also say you lost this "battle" as you call it. Berate their customer service and product all you want, but they served you a purpose which I'd assume helped you out quite a bit by giving you the rebuilding card in the first place.

You are right. I cannot say I totally regret the card, thus the reason I held on for so long. I should clarify the word berate is subjective. No voices raised, no foul language was used; just some assertive straight talk. I even apply my level 5 charm during opportune times; and that usually works.. I guess I was having an off day. lol

Capital one definitely puts certain accounts on "double secret" probation like you suggested. I had an Orchard card that went Platinum when they acquired Orchard and I was never able to get the limit above 1k, even after my reports were clean and I had used the card quite a bit. Card was 4+ years old by that point with 0 lates and decent usage for the limit. I was hesitant to combine that account because it was my oldest rebuild card at the time, but I finally did and now my QS card stands at 31k from combining and using the 2fer. I have to thank them for making me a nice prybar...but dealing with cap1 customer service is usually a painful experience.

Capital one definitely puts certain accounts on "double secret" probation like you suggested. I had an Orchard card that went Platinum when they acquired Orchard and I was never able to get the limit above 1k, even after my reports were clean and I had used the card quite a bit. Card was 4+ years old by that point with 0 lates and decent usage for the limit. I was hesitant to combine that account because it was my oldest rebuild card at the time, but I finally did and now my QS card stands at 31k from combining and using the 2fer. I have to thank them for making me a nice prybar...but dealing with cap1 customer service is usually a painful experience.

I still have a Capital One card left over from my subprime era. It's at $13,000 after five CLIs, two of which were large percentage increases that I got when the EO was still assisting with those.

At some point I'll either close it, or open a new Capital One card, let it age, and move the (hopefully) adult limit from the new card to the old one.

You are right. I cannot say I totally regret the card, thus the reason I held on for so long. I should clarify the word berate is subjective. No voices raised, no foul language was used; just some assertive straight talk. I even apply my level 5 charm during opportune times; and that usually works.. I guess I was having an off day. lol

lol - yeah, I get that.

I've had one of their cards for over 10 years. I got it as a rebuilding card, and they definitely helped me out in that sense. Later with a score of ~800 I still held onto it, now after an ugly divorce and scores below 600 I still have the card and will continue to. I do have an annual fee and I call them once a year to waive it "once" and they usually do lol.

Sometimes it takes a few calls to get what you want. I get the same from Verizon and it frustrates me, some reps are just unwilling to help, and others will go out of their way to help you get what you want within their power. It's all a game :)

I called Capital One yesterday to request removal of the annual fee from my Quicksilver One. ...

How much use did you put on the card?

Did you ask them if they could refund the fee?

I felt the same way about my QS1 card for many months. Trying to give it use with a 300 dollar limit was no fun. Not much more fun with the 700 dollar limit. But the one (several) thing(s) I'll say about Cap One: They have a way forward with CLIs and got me up to 3,800 by the cards first anniversary, they did waive the fee when I asked 6 month after they charged it, and they credit your cash back as soon as the transaction posts.

If you put use on their cards, add another card with a sign up bonus down the road and do the same and combine them you can grow the credit line a lot better than with some other issuers.

Yes I asked if the could refund the fee. They said no. My other major cards all have limits between 4 and 8 k. Cap one would do a CLI on this card the last 3 years and with a 1550 cl I dont need this card. This was my post BK credit card.

Did you ever ask them to upgrade you from a QS1 to a regular QS?

That would of eliminated the fee.

Yes I asked if they would combine this card with my Quicksilver. He said only the website can do that. Well website says not eligible accounts.

Actually I did not lose. I still get the aoaa for 10 years. They would never increase the credit line. And I prefer using my PenFed Defender that gives me 1.5% back and has a 5k credit line not a $1550.00 one like Cap one. This card served its purpose after my Bk in 2006. Why would I keep and use a card with an annual fee and a low credit line, when I have many other preferred cards? NFCU, PenFed, USAA, Barclay Jet Blue, AARP Chase, Chase Slate and I also have a Quicksilver. Why keep that card? lol

Actually I did not lose. I still get the aoaa for 10 years. They would never increase the credit line. And I prefer using my PenFed Defender that gives me 1.5% back and has a 5k credit line not a $1550.00 one like Cap one. This card served its purpose after my Bk in 2006. Why would I keep and use a card with an annual fee and a low credit line, when I have many other preferred cards? NFCU, PenFed, USAA, Barclay Jet Blue, AARP Chase, Chase Slate and I also have a Quicksilver. Why keep that card? lol

Because it's your oldest, or one of your oldest cards? Yes, you'll get the benefit of that account for 10 years, but I'd rather have my oldest card reporting as an open tradeline indefinitely, personally. I have better cards too now but I was able to get my fee waived and others have been able to get them permanently waived.