Handling Judgements

XScottX

The last post in this topic was posted 2011 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I moved to a new state 4 yrs ago, and Im sure (i ordered my hard reports) i have default judgements.

What recourse do I have to make them go away? Not necessarily just eliminating them from CRA's but either settling them out then deleting. I just dont want zombies coming back and biting me None of my consumer debt was very big, approx 5-6k in total, and a state lien that i paid off for about 5200.

My baddies are barclays, hsbc-x2, cap 1-x2, and 1 other. I do believe that a gym membership went to collections and they since went out of biz. my card number had changed and i moved, didnt realize theyd chase me down.

Everything else went bad in around 7-09 and the state SL is 6 years.

some states have a 4 year SOL on foreign judgments.

what states ?

if you start repairing your credit with judgments out standing they could transfer it to your new state, haul you into court for a debtors exam, garnish wages, etc.

Thats exactly what I want to avoid.

The state is Maine the sol is 6 but there is a caveat for 20 ?

yeah, a judgment has a different SOL than the original debt.

maine SOL = 6 years, get a judgment awarded at 5 1/2, then the judgment is good for 20 more.

maine just revised collection laws

2015 Revisions to Maine's State Debt collection laws
If you make payment agreement with a CA, they must furnish a written payment schedule or settlement agreement within 10 days
affirms the six year statute of limitations on collection matters,
Prohibits a lawsuit or arbitration proceeding when the debt is beyond the statute of limitations, and
Payments on the account will not reset the Statute of Limitations if the 6 year SOL has already passed

yeah, a judgment has a different SOL than the original debt.

maine SOL = 6 years, get a judgment awarded at 5 1/2, then the judgment is good for 20 more.

maine just revised collection laws

2015 Revisions to Maine's State Debt collection laws
If you make payment agreement with a CA, they must furnish a written payment schedule or settlement agreement within 10 days
affirms the six year statute of limitations on collection matters,
Prohibits a lawsuit or arbitration proceeding when the debt is beyond the statute of limitations, and
Payments on the account will not reset the Statute of Limitations if the 6 year SOL has already passed

So what is the best method for a scenario like this?

what Exactly is your scenario ?

what state were the judgments awarded in?

Maine?

and When??

what state are you in Now?

have the judgments been transferred to your new state court,

have you received any notices ?

are these on your credit reports>

If Judgements are on EX they are giving free passes just dispute and it will be gone.

What do you mean free passes? Is EX just dropping them?
Yes they are! Just dispute them EX is wasting time or energy to verify Judgements or Tax Liens. Edited by bigpoppa09

If Judgements are on EX they are giving free passes just dispute and it will be gone.

Yes they are!

I have to co-sign what BigPoppa is saying about EX dropping them...I read where he said it a couple weeks ago, so I disputed a judgement on DH's reports and TU and EX both dropped it...I froze LN first for good measure but one way or the other it worked!!!!! Thanks for the info BigPoppa!!! :clapping:

Yes they are!

I have to co-sign what BigPoppa is saying about EX dropping them...I read where he said it a couple weeks ago, so I disputed a judgement on DH's reports and TU and EX both dropped it...I froze LN first for good measure but one way or the other it worked!!!!! Thanks for the info BigPoppa!!! :clapping:
No problem

just because it's not on your credit reports doesn't mean the judgment is unenforceable

Mine was cleared in a discharged BK. It still remains on my file. I have a paper from the Tax Lien...but still doesn't seem to help. I have tried everything...but I haven't disputed in the last 12 months though.

• 1 month later...

Yes they are!

Did you Dispute on both TU and EX? Or just EX and TU dropped them as well?.

Don't get too excited about Equifax . ....only Trans Union and Experian . ...Equifax is a Beast

I am trying to figure out if I should even worry considering that the judgment is supposed to drop this year sometime. The Tax Lien I don't know about. It has been on since 2007...but it is actually Satisfied now which isn't how it is reporting. I guess EQ just don't feel the same as the others (EX, TU).

The last post in this topic was posted 2011 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.