Sign in to follow this  
Northeast16

USAA Verification

Hi nice people,

I am new to this and really happy to have found this board. I have posted this question under sub-forum military credit, I apologize it if is against forum rules and request that Mod could remove it.

I am currently enlisted with Army and wanted to join USAA, a military specific bank. They asked me to send in LES along with DL.

I am not applying for any of their credit products at this time. While I don't mind sending in LES, I am a bit reluctant to send in a full LES since it has so much more information on it. I wanted to ask if it

is recommended or acceptable to block off other information on LES such as Ent, Allow, wages, leaves etc and leave only identifying information for them to read.

My concern is that I don't want USAA people to have all that information that is not useful to them at this stage.

I am already with NFCU. I just wanted to expand my options and especially for insurance, USAA is very good. That is what I heard.

Edited by Northeast16

I am already with NFCU. I just wanted to expand my options and especially for insurance, USAA is very good. That is what I heard.

It all depends i guess my buddy i work with is former military and he said he had insurance with them and they were raping him he had to drop for another insurer i guess YMMV.

It could be true. Thank you for the heads up.

On my actual question, I wanted to know there have been any personal experiences of someone redacting fiscal, leave and earning information on LES. I am okay by sharing biographic information because that is what they needed.

Did you ask if they will accept a copy of your CAC in lieu of LES?

Don't do that!

https://www.army.mil/article/28452/photocopying-military-cac-ids-a-violation-of-federal-law

Thank you. That is what I thought but I asked the lady regardless if there is anything else I could provide. I was under the impression that since they are a military bank, they may have access to DOD or military databases to verify or

cross check a document.

I just don't understand why don't they just do it on their own if they have access to all that information.

USAA is targeted to military and affiliated customers, but they have no access to DoD personnel records. Just send in the 214 and DL, with anything you do not want out there redacted.

USAA is targeted to military and affiliated customers, but they have no access to DoD personnel records. Just send in the 214 and DL, with anything you do not want out there redacted.

I respectfully concur!

On a side note, I have found them to be somewhat careless with records. I had to send them few times for it be to updated and uploaded into the system.

USAA uses third party processors for ID Verification and Military Service verification. So, in other words, they farm out the processing of documents received. Also, if you don't put your member number in the subject line as they tell you to do, it will not be received or updated because without your member # they have no way of knowing who it belongs to, and, no, they won't do any name searches to find you.

All they need is proof of identity (required by the patriot act to open any bank account) and prood of military service (eligibility for membership is based on this).

Their insurance is no better, nor any worse when compared to other insurance companies, they're just right in the middle, there's nothing special about their products.

I think it's a con to play on the military sympathies, as in "hey, we're here to support the military" when in fact they act more like a smallish CU than a bank.

If you want another military bank, have you tried Armed Forces Bank?

They don't make you jump through hoops to join.

Bad idea. Federal criminal offense. At a minimum a sure ticket to an Article 15 party.

Besides, USAA wouldn't ask for it anyhow as they know the drill. That's why they ask for LES.

Actually, they do, but only as it pertains to active duty and retired.

Anybody with Internet access has the ability to conduct a SSCRA search that searches the Tri-Care databases. If there's a hit, it means you are either on active duty or retired.

USAA will not do that to establish eligibility or qualify for credit, though, because they require you to take overt action that exposes you to liability if future problems.

Hi nice people,

I am new to this and really happy to have found this board. I have posted this question under sub-forum military credit, I apologize it if is against forum rules and request that Mod could remove it.

I am currently enlisted with Army and wanted to join USAA, a military specific bank. They asked me to send in LES along with DL.

I am not applying for any of their credit products at this time. While I don't mind sending in LES, I am a bit reluctant to send in a full LES since it has so much more information on it. I wanted to ask if it

is recommended or acceptable to block off other information on LES such as Ent, Allow, wages, leaves etc and leave only identifying information for them to read.

My concern is that I don't want USAA people to have all that information that is not useful to them at this stage.

I wouldn't worry about it. Most of what you want to block out is public information anyhow.

That said, not sure what they would do if you did. You can call and ask them.

Bad idea. Federal criminal offense. At a minimum a sure ticket to an Article 15 party.

Besides, USAA wouldn't ask for it anyhow as they know the drill. That's why they ask for LES.

Exactly!

They don't even mention that anywhere in their communication to a prospective member. I remember back then when I submitted documents, they had only three things listed. DD 214 Long Version,

Discharge Certificate, LES or Active Duty orders.

Edited by Fred030

I appreciate all the sincere feed back and guidance. That is what makes this place very welcoming and constructive.

I will send in the documents and report back.

Their insurance is no better, nor any worse when compared to other insurance companies, they're just right in the middle, there's nothing special about their products.

I think it's a con to play on the military sympathies, as in "hey, we're here to support the military" when in fact they act more like a smallish CU than a bank.

If you want another military bank, have you tried Armed Forces Bank?

They don't make you jump through hoops to join.

USAA was founded by 25 Army Officers. For years they only would deal with Officers. Membership was only available to the Officers and their descendants until the early 90's when they opened membership to enlisted NCO's. My membership started in 1964 when I was born. No one has ever been able to come close to the Auto Insurance I receive. They also have stellar customer service. I don't care for the Banking side. I prefer NFCU, which still provides me with Active Duty Checking even though I am Retired Navy. That being said, USAA is in fact only open to the military which is why you have to "jump through hoops" to join.