mendelssohn

Are you a credit card elitist?

I am.

I believe that I deserve the best credit cards that fit my rewards strategy. That doesn't mean that issuers like Crap1 or Discovery don't have their place, but as a credit card elitist, I turn my nose up at them. I was even a credit card elitist when I was rebuilding and had FICOs in the 400s. I knew what the best was, and I wanted it.

I also believe that everyone should set their standards higher and expect the best for themselves instead of settling. That doesn't mean you will get there right away, but don't be content with average cards.

I am.

I believe that I deserve the best credit cards that fit my rewards strategy. That doesn't mean that issuers like Crap1 or Discovery don't have their place, but as a credit card elitist, I turn my nose up at them. I was even a credit card elitist when I was rebuilding and had FICOs in the 400s. I knew what the best was, and I wanted it.

I also believe that everyone should set their standards higher and expect the best for themselves instead of settling. That doesn't mean you will get there right away, but don't be content with average cards.

+1 I completely agree.

I am. All my cards are Visa, Master Card, and Amex with good rewards. My personal fave is Amex because I never get transferred to some third world country when I need customer service ditto with Chase. I also never apply for store cards although I do have Lowes because it's handy for flips.

The finest prime dry aged ribeye prepared with love and cooked to perfection and then deposited into the shiniest pink porcelain and whisked away by a country club bidet will still feed flowers the same as a month old "daily" special at the local burrito hole. :wave:

I am.

The Discovery Channel issues credit cards now???

The finest prime dry aged ribeye prepared with love and cooked to perfection and then deposited into the shiniest pink porcelain and whisked away by a country club bidet will still feed flowers the same as a month old "daily" special at the local burrito hole. :wave:

Yea, but it doesn't burn as much.

I for one embrace the "elitist" moniker.

I use credit cards as a tool, with the overall goal being to obtain the maximum value of rewards and/or benefits in my day-to-day expenses, business expenditures, international travel and M$.

I see no reason to be ashamed of making acuminous decisions regarding financial related matters, of which credit cards are included. In fact, to do anything else would be counterintuitive at best bordering on moronic.

"Elitist" carries less accuracy than condescending, pretentious, or overbearing in many cases. I, for one, embrace being a moron. :grin:

Edited by spacemule

I am.

The Discovery Channel issues credit cards now???

Discovery-card.jpg

"Elitest" carries less accuracy than condescending, pretentious, or overbearing in many cases. I, for one, embrace being a moron. :grin:

Elitist is accurate.

"Elitest" carries less accuracy than condescending, pretentious, or overbearing in many cases. I, for one, embrace being a moron. :grin:

Elitist is accurate.

Of course it is sunshine! Of course it is! :grin:

I thought I was being a bit of a dimwit with my Amex card. It still had residual status value for me from when I was younger- that the Amex card meant you 'made it'. But over the years I realized that the reason I liked it so much was that they made everything so easy. I don't have to 'sign up' every three months for cashback rewards. They are always right there to help. If I do want to cash in the rewards it's easy- it's right there on their web page. Do you want to keep saving your bonus? Buy something with it? Use some or all of it to pay this months balance?

The new Citi card comes close now. I think they've cleaned up a bit with their Costco relationship. I've cut all my 'lower class' cards up and cancelled them. Cap1 and Synch. are the worst. Very subtle ways of billing/ web design/ payment options, etc. that can add up to millions of dollars a year. (just guessing, I mean.)

Now it's Amex for everything except Costco.

All right guys, here's an honest question for you. Do you legitimately believe anyone here is jealous of you? Come on. I'd wager that the majority of people join this forum, not for any interest in the posters, but because we're all preoccupied with *our* credit lives. That's a basic tenet of human nature.

1) we are concerned with ourselves

2) we are concerned with getting the best performance and satisfaction in our individual situations that we can

3) we don't know any of you from the egg farmer selling supplies in chinatown

Many of you claim to be all for telling it like it is. Well, here's a healthy dose of that. We, as in the public reading this forum, don't know you. We don't care to know you. We are not jealous of you. We do not care what cards or banks you use. We care about us. Period. Jealous? Come on. I have to admit, I did get a bit of a chuckle out of that.

All right guys, here's an honest question for you. Do you legitimately believe anyone here is jealous of you? Come on. I'd wager that the majority of people join this forum, not for any interest in the posters, but because we're all preoccupied with *our* credit lives. That's a basic tenet of human nature.

2) we are concerned with getting the best performance and satisfaction in our individual situations that we can

Many of you claim to be all for telling it like it is. Well, here's a healthy dose of that. We, as in the public reading this forum, don't know you. We don't care to know you. We are not jealous of you. We do not care what cards or banks you use. We care about us. Period. Jealous? Come on. I have to admit, I did get a bit of a chuckle out of that.

No, I don't.

Your posts in this thread make me wonder if you even read the first post though.

Let me break this down for people like spacemule who clearly don't get this thread...

To start, many of us on this board are sometimes told we have an elitist attitude because we turn our noses up at certain cards.

I am.

I believe that I deserve the best credit cards that fit my rewards strategy. That doesn't mean that issuers like Crap1 or Discovery don't have their place [their place is when you are building or rebuilding you credit, not as a final goal because no matter what your rewards strategy is, there ARE better cards], but as a credit card elitist, I turn my nose up at them. I was even a credit card elitist when I was rebuilding and had FICOs in the 400s. I knew what the best was, and I wanted it. You see, this is the part where I am explaining that I never wanted to settle for less than the best. Even early on, I was aiming high and working my way to the goal of having the best cards.

I also believe that everyone should set their standards higher and expect the best for themselves instead of settling. That doesn't mean you will get there right away, but don't be content with average cards. This is the part where I am encouraging everyone to set their goals high and go after the best cards.

There's nothing condescending or nasty about this post or thread.

Do you take everything literally? That was a metaphor.

I use credit cards as a tool, with the overall goal being to obtain the maximum value of rewards and/or benefits in my day-to-day expenses, business expenditures, international travel and MS.

I see no reason to be ashamed of making acuminous decisions regarding financial related matters, of which credit cards are included. In fact, to do anything else would be counterintuitive at best bordering on moronic.

This is one of my credit goals due to what I've read on CB, the other goal is to get to 850.

I use credit cards as a tool, with the overall goal being to obtain the maximum value of rewards and/or benefits in my day-to-day expenses, business expenditures, international travel and MS.

This is one of my credit goals due to what I've read on CB, the other goal is to get to 850.

And exactly my point. Why not maximize every dollar you spend?

I don't think I'll ever make it to credit card elitist because I don't travel enough to make the premium rewards cards with AF's cost effective. I make my Budweiser level credit portfolio work for me by growing the credit lines and maximizing perks associated with the cards.