Sign in to follow this  

Would you tell AmEx bye-bye?

...if the store you shopped at does not accept American Express. :)

?

Im a cashier (again) and our terminal recently again stopped accepting any and all American Express cards. They always have to use a different card. I am wondering if, if it were you and AmEx whatever was your go-to, if you would kick American Express to the curb.

Kick the store to the curb for not accepting Amex.

This is much more likely the answer for me. Same reason I avoid cash only businesses.

So in other words, no.

Pretty much the same sentiment...

I'd start looking at their competing stores in the area, or check for deals online where Amazon Prime or another no to low cost shipping option is available.

Businesses have their reasons for not taking AMEX, Discover, or being cash only. Not giving them your business solely for those reasons is a bit much. Especially here in SF, there are alot of places that fall under that category and you'd be missing out if you avoided them because of said policy.

If you have a card that you only acquire to use at one store, you may as well consider it a store card. The only store card I use is Amazon, so my answer is no.

I will never accept AMEX , im a small home remodeling company . We do not swipe and pay 3pct for rewards card, and Amex wants 5 pct for non swipe. I have never once lost a job to it , as everyone with an Amex has a visa or mc. Also this year we raised our prices 3 pct, and at the sale we offer a 3 pct discount for using a check. 90 pct use check.

^ Thought I would update everyone: It seems the AmEx customers (those who have the AmEx at the ready) ... When I let them know that it either declined because it doesn't take AmEx, or that it doesn't take AmEx if I see the card before they swipe... They just pay with a different card.

Thought I'd share.

I will never accept AMEX , im a small home remodeling company . We do not swipe and pay 3pct for rewards card, and Amex wants 5 pct for non swipe. I have never once lost a job to it , as everyone with an Amex has a visa or mc. Also this year we raised our prices 3 pct, and at the sale we offer a 3 pct discount for using a check. 90 pct use check.

And I'll use a VISA that gives me 2.25% back. I'll pay the .75% for protection should the work not be what I asked for.

I'm not giving up Amex, just saying. But I understand the business that chooses to not accept it. And then at that point should I want to purchase, I'll swipe a Visa or MC. Amex is pretty important to me.

Depends on the store... I will probably be keeping Amex around for the long haul, but also Chase so it's unlikely I'll run into somewhere I want to shop that doesn't accept Amex or Visa.

No, I'll keep AMEX, but always have a MC/Visa or cash as backup. Would I continue to shop there, it depends. If it's a restaurant I really like or a store that carries products that I like and are hard to find, probably. If it's a retail chain and I have an alternative that is convenient, good chance I'd change if the AMEX card gave me the most rewards. I use the card I get the most overall benefits from, not the one the store dictates to me I must use. I have a few store cards that I keep and use because I shop there enough and the rewards are good. I use gas credit cards to limit fraud. I'd rather have to deal with a card that can only be used at Shell and has $600 credit limit which is more than I need for gas than a major credit card with thousands in credit line. I know they have fraud protection, but to me it's just easier with one exception, Costco and I have only one Visa I use there.

I had Amexand it changed my entire life. I loved Amex. Never missed a payment in several years. Then I got Amexed late 2013. I had to basically change my entire life back over it. I'd love to have Amex again. I still get a business app in the mail about every 6-8 weeks. But since being Amexed I don't think they'd give it to me.

And I'll use a VISA that gives me 2.25% back. I'll pay the .75% for protection should the work not be what I asked for.

I don't blame you, luckily we do good work and have never had a chargeback, or BBB complaint in 10 yrs.

Big, fat NO! Especially since I have just gotten back in Amex's good graces after they excommunicated me so many years ago. I'm hoping to make it grow over the coming months.

Update. We are getting more and more people that want to pay with an AmEx. Only had ONE customer throw a very minor fit, and we let him have the coffee for free and put back his KitKat bars. Quite sure he was bluffing. Pretty much every other customer shuffles through their 20 or so cards, and pays with another one. Our readers now say "No American Express.." My manager also tells me had one woman "Rip his face off" after the AmEx was declined. He also told me they "Took away" the ability for the store to read Amex.

Every time I see an important-looking fellow come up and pay with an AmEx, I ask myself if it's hegemony or another CBer. :rofl: I look for a tell of a $100 bill, to try to deplete my drawer in a revenge of denying the AmEx, though I have enough to neatly make change with 4 $20s and the change.. Bring it. ;) (*a part of me thinks I may have transacted a CBer before. I can't prove it, but I think so.)

Maybe from "Mendelssohn St," the bus went past it and my phone battery was dead, but I ASSURE you, there is a Mendelssohn St here in Mass.

:D

I don't blame you, luckily we do good work and have never had a chargeback, or BBB complaint in 10 yrs.

Maybe you should use Square and just pay 2.75% across the board then